Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > General Mac Discussion

Old Aug 13, 2003, 01:49 PM   #1
mokusa
macrumors newbie

mounting iPod

How do I simply mount my iPod? I want to use it as a HD but when I connect it iTunes fires up, it updates and then ejects. Thanks-
mokusa is offline   0
Old Aug 13, 2003, 01:54 PM   #2
King Cobra

Send a message via AIM to King Cobra
Open iTunes and connect your iPod:

A button on the iTunes navigation will appear. It will look like an iPod icon. Click it.

Select manual updating, rather than automatic.

Also, I would not recommend using the iPod as a Hard Drive. Transfer files over from one computer to another either directly or through CD/Zip media, or through the internet.
King Cobra is offline   0
Old Aug 13, 2003, 02:22 PM   #3
rainman::|:|
macrumors 603

Send a message via Yahoo to rainman::|:|
Quote:
Originally posted by King Cobra
Also, I would not recommend using the iPod as a Hard Drive. Transfer files over from one computer to another either directly or through CD/Zip media, or through the internet.
Why not, praytell? I use mine for file transfers to and from work, since I carry it with me anyway, I don't have to worry about grabbing the wrong CD...

pnw
rainman::|:| is offline   0
Old Aug 13, 2003, 02:24 PM   #4
tazo

Send a message via ICQ to tazo Send a message via AIM to tazo Send a message via Yahoo to tazo
I don't believe there is any harm associated with using the iPod as a backup device, I just think the original poster should be aware the price of the iPod's storage/dollar ratio is extremely high...much higher than an external hard drive from say LaCie....
tazo is offline   0
Old Aug 13, 2003, 03:13 PM   #5
King Cobra

I have tried to use the iPod as a Hard Drive many time before, for files transfers as small as 100MB. But, with the latest Mac OS software and the latest iPod OS installed at the time (this being the days of 10.1.5 up through 10.2.3) I had countless -36 errors, interrupting my file transfers, and causing the I/O processes to be halted for over a minute before I got the error message.

(iPod: 5GB model)

This even occured multiple times after I refreshed my computer and iPod completely and installed the latest software. I have had no success to navigate around the situation except for not using the iPod as a Hard Drive.

Last edited by King Cobra; Aug 13, 2003 at 03:15 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2003, 04:07 PM   #6
jimthorn
macrumors 6502a

Exclamation Problems with iPod as external HD?

I find King Cobra's comments rather alarming. I have been planning on getting an iPod for a while, and one of the ways I could justify the expense is that it could be used as both music box and backup/portable storage. Does anyone else agree that there are lots of problems with iPod as external HD?
Old Aug 13, 2003, 05:28 PM   #7
TEG
macrumors 604

Send a message via ICQ to TEG Send a message via AIM to TEG Send a message via MSN to TEG Send a message via Yahoo to TEG Send a message via Skype™ to TEG
No problems in using an iPod as an HD. Just read the manual before deciding.

TEG
Old Aug 13, 2003, 05:37 PM   #8
King Cobra

I'll tell you what.

Let me try it again.

I have OS X 10.2.6 on two recently refresh machines. And I'll refresh my iPod completley and copy 4.5GB of information onto my 5GB model as a Hard Drive form one computer to another.

I'll let you know how it turned out...in a new post.

Last edited by King Cobra; Aug 13, 2003 at 06:32 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2003, 05:47 PM   #9
mokusa
macrumors newbie

If there was a problem with the 5gig iPod as a HD maybe it was fixed on the new iPods. I wouldn't load my iPod up with a lot of data simply because I want to fill it up with music! I have a Lacie pocketdrive for large file storage and transfer. But there might be a few times were I need to use the iPod to transfer something here or there. Thanks for the mounting tip BTW. What a bonehead I am. I didn't even notice that icon at the bottom of iTunes. Seems like iPod should have its own prefrences panel or something.
mokusa is offline   0
Old Aug 13, 2003, 06:58 PM   #10
King Cobra

My attempt failed...yet again.

I kept a somewhat detailed progress.

I also did a fresh download and install of the latest available iPod software: version 1.3. I made no sudden movements with the iPod during or following the install.

After I copied 4.51GB of info to my refreshed iPod, I transferred my iPod to my Cube. I began the data into one folder.

Start: 7:45:15
500MB: 7:46:10
1GB: 7:47:08
1.6GB: 7:48:08
2GB: 7:48:56
2.5GB: 7:49:57
3GB: 7:50:51
4GB: 7:52:38

At 4.05GB, all transfers hung.
4.05GB: 7:53:00

The progress bar was stationairy, and no sync arrows appeared on the iPod. It has been hanging for 10 minutes.

I tried to terminate the progress window:
Attempt to abort: 8:03:41
Response: never

I had to force eject my iPod physically.

This is why I don't use my iPod as a Hard Drive. Yet I have not heard one such story from a 10+GB iPod user.

Old Aug 14, 2003, 01:07 AM   #11
jimthorn
macrumors 6502a

Yikes. That really sucks, King Cobra. Have you asked anyone at Apple about this (like a Genius at one of the Apple Stores)..? I would be upset about that problem if I spent my hard-earned money on an iPod.
Old Aug 14, 2003, 08:56 PM   #12
King Cobra

Personally, I don't give two sh*** about the iPod being used as an external Hard Drive. I rarely ever have to resort to that method, when I have only around four other ways of getting information from one computer to another:

TDM
Ethernet Network
CD-RW
hotmail account (which has been dormant for about 100 years now) http://www.thetechpub.com/phpBB2/ima...on_twisted.gif http://www.thetechpub.com/phpBB2/ima...ipersmilie.gif
Old Aug 14, 2003, 09:32 PM   #13
DeadlyBreakfast
macrumors regular

Wait..isn't the actual usable size of a 5 gig iPod actually alot less then 5 gig. Is it possible that you are running out of room.

Anyway..I use mine for storage all the time no prob. I dont copy 4.5 gig files....Maybe 300 meg files. 4.5 Gig file is a little much I think..
Old Aug 16, 2003, 03:50 AM   #14
mim
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to mim
aye, I use my old 10giger for file transfers all the time. Very useful and fast. Tazo's right about using it for backups though - it's far too expensive for that.
Old Aug 16, 2003, 09:46 AM   #15
King Cobra

-->Wait..isn't the actual usable size of a 5 gig iPod actually alot less then 5 gig. Is it possible that you are running out of room. (DeadlyBreakfast)

No. I have made similar attempts with data transfers with my iPod when it has had over 2GB of extra space leftover.

But, again, 10GB and above models don't have this same problem. Perhaps I damaged the iPod somehow...?

Worse, my warranty is out.

But I can still play breakout and jack music through a set of earplugs.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > General Mac Discussion