Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adamfilip

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2003
burlington, Ontario canada
here is my Photoshop Hack Job of how i think the g5 should have been brought out.

i didnt change the height of the case.
im sure they could make one heat sink thats larger that could cool both processors

supag5.jpg

Mr. MacPhisto

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2003
Re: How the G5 Shouda! been

Originally posted by adamfilip
here is my Photoshop Hack Job of how i think the g5 should have been brought out.

i didnt change the height of the case.
im sure they could make one heat sink thats larger that could cool both processors

I'm not sure, I think Apple knew what they were doing. While they likely could have made another optical bay available, I think they decided to make the machine ultra-quiet, especially as compared to other high-end machines (Xeons, Itaniums, Unix workstations).

I also don't see the need for another optical drive bay anyways. It has become so easy to add a very fast external drive via firewire and have more versatility in doing so. In my experience, I 've never found any use for dual optical drives, even though I've built machines that feature them. I usually end up copying images to my hard drive anyways and, whenever I've done CD-to-CD copies I often have gotten buffer underruns.

I think the only thing I'd improve upon is the PCI-X slots - it'd be nice to have 5 instead of 3, but there are external solutions for that as well.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Originally posted by bennetsaysargh
i wish the G5s had 2 optical drives, but maybe in later revisions it will.
I suspect Apple dropped the dual optical drives is that very few people actually ordered a system that way.

I do have a dual optical setup currently and it has saved me a fair bit of time.

coolsoldier

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2003
The 909
I used to have a computer with dual optical drives, but it always caused me more trouble than it was worth, and so I always ended up copying stuff to the hard drive first anyway. Maybe for other stuff besides copying it might be useful, but I can't think of anything useful right now that you could do with it.

WannabeSQ

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2002
Originally posted by Bear
I suspect Apple dropped the dual optical drives is that very few people actually ordered a system that way.

I do have a dual optical setup currently and it has saved me a fair bit of time.

that is their fatal mistake. They assumed that since not many people ordered 2 optical drives, that not many people wanted 2 optical drives. If I bought a MDD model (almost did) I most definately would NOT have gotten 2 optical drives from apple, as they simply charge way too much. Also, their options were very lacking. I would ideally like a superdrive and a 52x CD-RW (hell, a 32x would be fine) I dont need to watch a DVD on my computer while I burn a DVD. I use my home theater DVD player for that. But oh well, Firewire is a good compromise.

I think someone will come out with a firewire enclosure that fits on top of the G5 like that one that came out when the first G4 came out with no floppy drive, it had a 3.5" ATAPI bay via USB as well as a USB hub i believe. A firewire one with an optical bay and maybe even a HD bay would be an awesome add on. Doubly awesome if it could be used on top or on bottom between the handles, so power users could get 2 of them and not take up excess space. thats just my wishful thinking tho.

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
Originally posted by WannabeSQ

I think someone will come out with a firewire enclosure that fits on top of the G5 like that one that came out when the first G4 came out with no floppy drive, it had a 3.5" ATAPI bay via USB as well as a USB hub i believe. A firewire one with an optical bay and maybe even a HD bay would be an awesome add on. Doubly awesome if it could be used on top or on bottom between the handles, so power users could get 2 of them and not take up excess space. thats just my wishful thinking tho.
that would be awesome! it would be really cool if they could do that for all of the computers in their product line somehow.

i have an idea for a 3rd party company to make a battery for the powerbooks that not only goes in the place of the powerbook battery, but also somehow covers the whole bottom to make the battery life a lot longer. is that possible? sorry, i've been running around all day:p

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
You know how much heat an optical drive can kick off when it gets going? there's no way... Remember that heat is still conducted between the partitions, they're not entirely independent... and this would affect airflow signifigantly as well...

pnw

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I think that Apple's going with the single optical drive on purpose - it would be redundant and if you wanted one with higher burn times, get an external and connect it to the FW800 port. Makes more sense that way, keeps the thing cooler, etc.

I'd rather see more HD space :D

D

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
well i forgot that optical drives get hot. then i realized whenever i turn on my FW burner, there is the sound of a million fans that is really loud. that's why i burn as little as possible:p

NavyIntel007

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2002
Tampa, FL
Originally posted by WannabeSQ
that is their fatal mistake. They assumed that since not many people ordered 2 optical drives, that not many people wanted 2 optical drives. If I bought a MDD model (almost did) I most definately would NOT have gotten 2 optical drives from apple, as they simply charge way too much. Also, their options were very lacking. I would ideally like a superdrive and a 52x CD-RW (hell, a 32x would be fine) I dont need to watch a DVD on my computer while I burn a DVD. I use my home theater DVD player for that. But oh well, Firewire is a good compromise.

This is exactly why apple did NOT design it this way. Why should they spend the extra money designing an extra bay, putting in a 10th fan and more sensors for you to go out and buy a third party drive? Tell you what, why don't YOU just go buy an external burner and stick it right on top between the handle and the case? If you get one with an aluminum case, you might never know the difference.

As for the extra storage. There would have to be an extra SATA controller and two more pin outs. How many people actually buy four drives from Apple? Not that many. And with new drives hitting the 500 GB mark these days, it would be easy to put a terabyte in with only two drive bays. If you'd like more than that, get a fiber channel card and buy an XServe RAID. Apple probably wants you not to buy the Powermac if you want a server with lots of storage. That's why there is an Xserve (ideally when it too has a G5).

Problem is you people cry about the price, yet complain when it doesn't have this or that... if it had everything you wanted, it would be even more expensive! SO QUIT CRYING ABOUT IT!

snahabed

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2002
New York, NY
I fail to understand why people are opposed to a FW external drive. I have one and it is fantastic. Plus, it will outlast my CPU and I can use it with my Powerbook, and my friends can use it with their PC laptops with firewire cards.

I would just like more hard drive space... just because I would LOVE for space to be so cheap that I could just mount disc images of my DVD's and have uncompressed AIFFs in iTunes... and never have to deal with discs again! As it stands, I cannot bear to re-rip into AAC, knowing that when the successor comes out, I'll have to re-rip again... My mentality now is, wait for a few years when a 10TB hard drive is a reality :)

So yeah, the more hard drive, the better, but another internal optical? Waste of space and money.

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
-Hmm

I count 5 heat zones in that design - don't forget the Power supply zone in the base.

I've never understood the need for two internal optical drives. Heck! They were introduced in Macs only last year.

Now before anyone feels affronted, I want to point out the language of that sentence - think like an attorney. I said "need" - do you really have a "need" for two "internal" opticals? Or is it just a nice-to-have. I'll let you answer that for yourself - not my place there.

Methinks there are bigger fish to fry.

macphoria

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2002
I think external optical drives are cheap enough so that if you really do need second optical drive, you can just get an external one.

I really don't see the point of having two optical drives. Only instance I can think of is burning a CD and watching DVD at the same time or something.

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
it's not necessary, but it's kinda cool to have. although you do feel stupid when you can't remember which is the superdrive:p
my PC friend doesn' have a superdrive, but has 2 cd drives. one is jjst CDROM and the other is DVD/CDRW. always puts the blank in the CDROM one.:p

VIREBEL661

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2003
Dual optical drives and an additional (or two?) PCI slot... Just a thought, but wait for Rev. B! This sort of thing may be a reality... It's important they got this out the door in the first place...

me hate windows

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2002
Originally posted by coolsoldier
I used to have a computer with dual optical drives, but it always caused me more trouble than it was worth, and so I always ended up copying stuff to the hard drive first anyway. Maybe for other stuff besides copying it might be useful, but I can't think of anything useful right now that you could do with it.

One good thing was to put in a CD-RW drive that burned faster than the Superdrive burns CD's.

NavyIntel007

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2002
Tampa, FL
Originally posted by me hate windows
One good thing was to put in a CD-RW drive that burned faster than the Superdrive burns CD's.

And again... buy an external. maybe Apple should have put a firewire port on the top of the machine so you all wouldn't complain about cables... wait what am I saying? Mac users complain about everything!

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
I never really thought it was all that important to have two optical drives. It just seems like an unnecessary cost. How often do you really need to duplicate a CD anyway?

daveg5

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2001
this will happen

as the g5 chip gets smaller and cooler this will happen probably by summer, they may even add better handles and more pleaseing front end.
i love two drives for duplicting cds dvds, coping files, and with newer software maybe writing 2 cds or dvds at once may be possible.
burning a cd while watching a dvd, the superdrive has a slow cd burn speed, you can pick up at light on 52*32*52 for $50 the g5 is so fast might as well get the fastest cdrw, right?. and when faster dvd r rwritables come out next year or the blue lasers disc, you can keep your combo or superdrive and just add the newer technology without external cases and wires and powerbricks. so for me imho 2 optical drive bays should be the minimum

NavyIntel007

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2002
Tampa, FL
Originally posted by Daveman Deluxe
I never really thought it was all that important to have two optical drives. It just seems like an unnecessary cost. How often do you really need to duplicate a CD anyway?

Dual drives were only important when they didn't make a combo DVD/CD-R burner. Now we have DVD burners that do it all. And what's the difference between 32X and 52X... 10 seconds?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.