Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 5, 2007, 06:36 PM   #1
tttexxan
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Teather your iphone to laptop

Here ya go

http://cre.ations.net/blog/post/tether-your-iphone

Check out his other apps
tttexxan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2007, 06:42 PM   #2
The General
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Those instructions are old. It is not recommended to use that method anymore.
The General is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2007, 11:55 AM   #3
HatefulMeaning
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Then which method should we use to teather our iPhone to our laptop then?
HatefulMeaning is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2007, 02:37 PM   #4
cybertron3
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Mass
I believe this is it:

--got this from somewhere else... --

Installer.app just released a GUI installer that will jailbreak your phone the new, good way. Not the old ./jailbreak way. Instead of "pave and replace" Microsoft style, it sets up com.apple.afc2 and ... well, basically just does it a whole lot cleaner. It will then install the Installer.app package management program. I can not stress enough how important it is that you get this program ... they maintain a repository of all software released for the iPhone, and the program checks, updates, installes, uninstalls, all without having to use the computer. Want to install Zune2.app? It will automatically download and install the program. You just have to hit install.

I HIGHLY recommend using these instructions instead of the ones in the original post. You don't have to deal with the Terminal. Although I have no problem using the terminal, others do. Some replies in this thread prove that.

These are instructions for a completely unhacked phone:

1. Download AppTapp Installer from here:
http://www.nullriver.com/~zigzag/AppTappInstaller.zip

Run the program. It is extremely straight forward. This will install the Installer.app program on your phone. You will see a new icon on your phone for Installer.app.

2. Using Installer.app on your iPhone, find "Community Resources" on the list under the Install tab. Tap on it, and then tap install. Then once that's installed, install all of the following:

* BSD Subsystem
* Term-VT100


3. Launch Term-VT100 on your iPhone, type srelay and hit return.

4. On your Mac, click the Wifi icon and click "Create Network..." Choose a name like iPhone or something.

5. On your iPhone, go to Preferences -> Wifi. Connect to the network you just created, and press the little blue "(>)" next to it. Change it from DHCP to Static.

* IP Address: 192.168.1.100
* Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0


Then tap The <Wi-Fi Networks] button, then press the home button just for good measure.

6. On your Mac, go to System Preferences -> Network and double click on Airport. Go to the TCP/IP tab and for Configure IPv4: select "Manually."

* IP address: 192.168.1.101
* Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0


Go to Proxies. Scroll down to SOCKS Proxy and check the little box next to it.

* IP address: 192.168.1.100
* Port: 1080


Hit "Apply Now" ... Open Safari and have fun.

Once you're done tethering, you need to uncheck SOCKS Proxy on your Mac.

If you want to tether a second time, start at step 3.
__________________
Yarr, I like the cut of yer jib!
cybertron3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2007, 02:38 PM   #5
The General
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Hey, those are my instructions.
The General is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2007, 02:54 PM   #6
cybertron3
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Mass
Quote:
Originally Posted by The General View Post
Hey, those are my instructions.
Ah, I emailed them to a friend and just dug them up for this post. Unfortunately, I could not remember at what site I got them...

Props to you
__________________
Yarr, I like the cut of yer jib!
cybertron3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2007, 03:56 PM   #7
HatefulMeaning
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
For the 6th step mine says IPv6 not IPv4. and I can't seem to type in the address and there is no Subnet mask either.
My laptop is a Macbook Pro.
HatefulMeaning is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2008, 09:50 AM   #8
smiwin
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
using PDANet downloaded from cydia on jailbroken iphone:

YES! Got it. Teathering on the iPhone!

PDANET wording was a little confusing, said to setup ad-hoc on iphone. Actually:

1. Setup new wireless connection on PC, choose ad-hoc(computer to computer), name the connection something, in my case 'iPhone'

2. Open browser on iphone, just to get the internet connection going and active

3. On iPhone, in wi-fi settings, under choose a network, look for 'iPhone'

4. Launch PDANet

5. Apple will have to come out with one hell of an update to get me to go to next version that will prevent this capability, I'm at 2.1 forever! LOL

6. You can setup a WEP/WPA secure ad-hoc connection as well.


Now if someone could please provide me with the rest of missing functionality from this sorry excuse for a pda i'll be happy:
X Teathering app - found PDANET
- Camera video recording app
- notes with outlook sync or some way to upload notes
X book reader - found ruBooks
- orb (blocked)
- tasks with outlook sync or descent task/project manager
X file browser - found iPhone browser
- copy paste
smiwin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2008, 02:36 PM   #9
iphonecode
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Is this instructions can damage my phone...
iphonecode is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2008, 04:41 PM   #10
island
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: CT
Send a message via AIM to island
Quote:
Originally Posted by iphonecode View Post
Is this instructions can damage my phone...
All your base are belong to us.
__________________
MBP i7 2.8, 16GB, 1TB EVO SSD
Cube: i7 3.4, 32GB, 2 x 1TB EVO SSD, GTX 780
iPhone 5S SG. Soon: iPhone 6 & Apple Watch
island is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2008, 04:49 PM   #11
Cynicalone
macrumors 68040
 
Cynicalone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Okie land
This thread should be here.
Cynicalone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2009, 12:46 PM   #12
1witheverything
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Tethering iPhone 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybertron3 View Post
I believe this is it:

--got this from somewhere else... --

Installer.app just released a GUI installer that will jailbreak your phone the new, good way. Not the old ./jailbreak way. Instead of "pave and replace" Microsoft style, it sets up com.apple.afc2 and ... well, basically just does it a whole lot cleaner. It will then install the Installer.app package management program. I can not stress enough how important it is that you get this program ... they maintain a repository of all software released for the iPhone, and the program checks, updates, installes, uninstalls, all without having to use the computer. Want to install Zune2.app? It will automatically download and install the program. You just have to hit install.

I HIGHLY recommend using these instructions instead of the ones in the original post. You don't have to deal with the Terminal. Although I have no problem using the terminal, others do. Some replies in this thread prove that.

These are instructions for a completely unhacked phone:

1. Download AppTapp Installer from here:
http://www.nullriver.com/~zigzag/AppTappInstaller.zip

Run the program. It is extremely straight forward. This will install the Installer.app program on your phone. You will see a new icon on your phone for Installer.app.

2. Using Installer.app on your iPhone, find "Community Resources" on the list under the Install tab. Tap on it, and then tap install. Then once that's installed, install all of the following:

* BSD Subsystem
* Term-VT100


3. Launch Term-VT100 on your iPhone, type srelay and hit return.

4. On your Mac, click the Wifi icon and click "Create Network..." Choose a name like iPhone or something.

5. On your iPhone, go to Preferences -> Wifi. Connect to the network you just created, and press the little blue "(>)" next to it. Change it from DHCP to Static.

* IP Address: 192.168.1.100
* Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0


Then tap The <Wi-Fi Networks] button, then press the home button just for good measure.

6. On your Mac, go to System Preferences -> Network and double click on Airport. Go to the TCP/IP tab and for Configure IPv4: select "Manually."

* IP address: 192.168.1.101
* Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0


Go to Proxies. Scroll down to SOCKS Proxy and check the little box next to it.

* IP address: 192.168.1.100
* Port: 1080


Hit "Apply Now" ... Open Safari and have fun.

Once you're done tethering, you need to uncheck SOCKS Proxy on your Mac.

If you want to tether a second time, start at step 3.
Q#1: Can tethering be done between a MacBook/intel processor ... and an iPhone 3G?


Q#2: Can it be done without voiding the AT&T contract?

Q#3: Is the installation reversible? removable?

Q#4: Is there a new code / updated instructions for iPhone 3G ... the above post is 2007 vintage... ancient history in cyber space.
1witheverything is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2009, 02:45 PM   #13
richardhunt
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
With OS 3.0 this is now the preferred method as tethering is now native to the OS.

http://help.benm.at/help.php

Download the configuration file for your carrier and plug your iphone to your laptop through usb or bluetooth and you are set to go. You need to have itunes 8.2 or later in order for this to work.


Installation is reversible, just remove the profile.

Does not void contract with AT&T (so far), just don't abuse it. If you keep your usage to less than 5GB per month, it shouldn't raise any flags. Lots of people are doing this now and have had no issues.
richardhunt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2009, 07:58 PM   #14
wildbillwn
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardhunt View Post
With OS 3.0 this is now the preferred method as tethering is now native to the OS.

http://help.benm.at/help.php

Download the configuration file for your carrier and plug your iphone to your laptop through usb or bluetooth and you are set to go. You need to have itunes 8.2 or later in order for this to work.


Installation is reversible, just remove the profile.

Does not void contract with AT&T (so far), just don't abuse it. If you keep your usage to less than 5GB per month, it shouldn't raise any flags. Lots of people are doing this now and have had no issues.
THis may be an ignorant question since I have not used the BenM hack for teathering, but how do I remove the "profile?"

Bill
wildbillwn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2009, 08:09 PM   #15
sjwinter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardhunt View Post
With OS 3.0 this is now the preferred method as tethering is now native to the OS.

http://help.benm.at/help.php

Download the configuration file for your carrier and plug your iphone to your laptop through usb or bluetooth and you are set to go. You need to have itunes 8.2 or later in order for this to work.


Installation is reversible, just remove the profile.

Does not void contract with AT&T (so far), just don't abuse it. If you keep your usage to less than 5GB per month, it shouldn't raise any flags. Lots of people are doing this now and have had no issues.


This is the way to go. Its by far the easyiest way.
__________________
13" aluminum macbook 2.0, 32gb Iphone 3gs, 16gb ipod nano
sjwinter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2009, 08:14 PM   #16
James.123
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
I am running Iphone firmware 3.1 b3, how can i get tethering to work? Thanks
James.123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2009, 01:13 PM   #17
Sledutah
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbillwn View Post
THis may be an ignorant question since I have not used the BenM hack for teathering, but how do I remove the "profile?"

Bill
Setting>>General>>Profile>>Remove
__________________
iPhone 32gb 3GS (black is fastest......)
iPhone 32gb 4 - POS was returned. SJ say's I'm to stupid to use it
Samsung Captivate
Sledutah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2009, 01:11 AM   #18
HiFiGuy528
macrumors 68000
 
HiFiGuy528's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
PDANet will have a USB tethering for Mac soon.
__________________
~Humans make Music,
Music makes Miracles ~
HiFiGuy528 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2009, 01:22 AM   #19
Samuriajackon
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardhunt View Post
With OS 3.0 this is now the preferred method as tethering is now native to the OS.

http://help.benm.at/help.php

Download the configuration file for your carrier and plug your iphone to your laptop through usb or bluetooth and you are set to go. You need to have itunes 8.2 or later in order for this to work.


Installation is reversible, just remove the profile.

Does not void contract with AT&T (so far), just don't abuse it. If you keep your usage to less than 5GB per month, it shouldn't raise any flags. Lots of people are doing this now and have had no issues.

First off. If they can see how much I'm downloading why would ATT allow this backdoor tethering solution at all? Next up. You said iTunes 8.2 or later...was not there an issue with people who had updated from iTunes 8.2 to the newer version who can't get this to work now? I thought i saw that the update wipped out the ability to do this....
__________________
samuriajackon@yahoo.com
-13.3 MacBook Pro;OS 10.7.2 w/ BootCamp Windows 7.
-iPad 4th Gen 16GB wifi
-iPhone 4s
Samuriajackon is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Teather an IPAD mini wifi to my AT&T iphone 5s Jungo iOS 7 1 Nov 6, 2013 10:41 AM
37GB of pictures, laptop, iPhone, iPad - eliminate laptop InfoTime iCloud and Apple Services 3 Dec 7, 2012 12:58 AM
Laptop or IPhone 4s? Cjshino iPhone 12 Nov 9, 2012 02:01 PM
iPad: So how much do you get for a 5GB teather? glen e iPad 2 Oct 29, 2012 11:48 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:37 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC