Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Sep 5, 2007, 11:14 PM   #1
Kinkokoro
macrumors member

New to iPods, please anyone HELP!!! ----- !

Hey everyone.
Like a lot of people, I'm switching entirely to Apple, eventually.
However, right now I really miss a good MP3 player. I broke my Zen vision a couple of months ago..(dropped it in a lake somewhere in the mountains..I live in Alaska) and I have a couple of questions.

I've gotten my music in a...variety of ways. Is that any concern for an Ipod?
I would get tunes off my room mates PC..where my music is for now, (My PC broke last year.. No water involved in this one, window's just crashed out on me.) Is that any concern? I heard something about the Ipods hard drive erasing entirely when it's introduced to another computer.
I'd hate to buy a Blackbook later, pop the baby in and watch all of my data go crap.

Anything else I should know?

Thanks everyone! Steve for president.

Josh

Last edited by Kinkokoro; Sep 5, 2007 at 11:28 PM. Reason: More info
Kinkokoro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2007, 11:30 PM   #2
gloss
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to gloss
iTunes will default to AutoSyncing iPods. When you first plug your iPod in, make sure to select Manage Music Manually. If you do, it'll then leave all your previous music on there, no problem. If you don't...well, I did that once when my desktop HD died and all my music was on my iPod, and it was a long, long road to recovery.

If you get the Macbook, download Senuti and use it to transfer the content from your iPod over to your iTunes library.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 11:34 PM   #3
Kinkokoro
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloss View Post
iTunes will default to AutoSyncing iPods. When you first plug your iPod in, make sure to select Manage Music Manually. If you do, it'll then leave all your previous music on there, no problem. If you don't...well, I did that once when my desktop HD died and all my music was on my iPod, and it was a long, long road to recovery.

If you get the Macbook, download Senuti and use it to transfer the content from your iPod over to your iTunes library.
Hey man thanks for the reply!
So as long as I go into (My Ipod's settings? or Itunes?) and select Manage music manually, i'm good?

Also, Couldn't I just use my Ipod as a jump drive, or an actual jump drive, and transfer my stuff to my (one day owning, but not anytime soon) Blackbook?

Anyone??

Last edited by Mitthrawnuruodo; Sep 6, 2007 at 06:44 AM. Reason: No bumping!
Kinkokoro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2007, 06:38 AM   #4
gloss
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to gloss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinkokoro View Post
Hey man thanks for the reply!
So as long as I go into (My Ipod's settings? or Itunes?) and select Manage music manually, i'm good?

Also, Couldn't I just use my Ipod as a jump drive, or an actual jump drive, and transfer my stuff to my (one day owning, but not anytime soon) Blackbook?
The iPod has a peculiar file structure, and the music is stored in a set of hidden folders on the drive. Senuti just makes things easier.

When you first plug in the iPod it should bring up an interface asking you what you want to name it, if you want to Sync it, etc. Just look around and make sure you set it to manage manually rather than autosync, and you should be golden. I believe it works on an iPod-to-iPod basis.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 06:42 AM   #5
PCMacUser
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinkokoro View Post
If by 'jump drive' you mean external hard drive, then yes, you can do this. But if you want to transfer data between PC and Mac, the iPod will need to be formatted for PC.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod