Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Sep 6, 2007, 04:19 AM   #1
NiCk-
macrumors member

iPod Classic 80gb vs iPod Touch 16gb

Hey guys, i'm desperate for some help here ... Basically i'm in a big dilemma in which model i'm going to buy from the two above ... I never had an iPod in my life before and i want to be sure that i won't make the wrong decision ...
I have a library with less than 3gb of songs in it, but i'm really worried that 16gb won't be enough for viewing videos also .. The iPod Touch really looks fantastic, and has a lot of nice features like Wi-Fi, Safari and Youtube but i will never probably use them ... You see, i'm from Greece and Wi-Fi isn't "everywhere" here ... At home, i have my MBP for surfing the net, and thus i have no use for the touch except for it's media capabilities .... The screen definitely is a huge plus, but apart from it everything else point towards the Classic ( which is also cheaper ) ..
Also i want to ask :

1. Is iPod Classic, good for watching videos on the go, or the screen is too small ??

2. Are you happy with the quality of the screen of the iPod Classic ?

3. Can i expect something more in the future for the iPod Touch from firmware updates ( like the iPhone ) ?

4. Is there any chance for a bigger ( e.g 32gb ) iPod Touch before the end of the year ???

5. For those who have an iPhone ... Which interface is best for playing songs ?? The one on the iPod Classic with the click wheel, or the one in the iPhone/iPod Touch with the touch screen ?

All help is appreciated ... Thanks

Last edited by NiCk-; Sep 6, 2007 at 04:34 AM.
NiCk- is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2007, 04:26 AM   #2
nlivo
macrumors 6502a

there is no iPod classic that is 8GB in size....you might mean the iPod classic 80gb.....andi might be wrong here but i don't think anyone has an iPod Classic yet?
nlivo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2007, 04:32 AM   #3
NiCk-
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlivo View Post
there is no iPod classic that is 8GB in size....you might mean the iPod classic 80gb.....andi might be wrong here but i don't think anyone has an iPod Classic yet?
Yes, i'm sorry ... I meant the 80gb iPod Classic .. The questions about the screen of the iPod Classic can also be asked for the 5th gen model, because if i'm not mistaken nothing has changed on the resolution of the screen of the 5th gen iPod and the 6th gen ...
Old Sep 6, 2007, 05:22 AM   #4
nlivo
macrumors 6502a

i find the screen on my 5th gen fine. it doesn't bother me at all but i am definately getting an iPod touch...you just can't be safari etc. and the touch screen. i have already sold my 5th gen (i didnt it before the event)
Old Sep 6, 2007, 06:14 AM   #5
magicjames92
Banned

go touch.
magicjames92 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2007, 06:40 AM   #6
NiCk-
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicjames92 View Post
go touch.
I see you 've got one ( from the signature ) ... Is it really better to browse music ?? Touch > Click-wheel ??? Even with many gigabytes of songs ??
Old Sep 6, 2007, 07:13 AM   #7
nlivo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiCk- View Post
I see you 've got one ( from the signature ) ... Is it really better to browse music ?? Touch > Click-wheel ??? Even with many gigabytes of songs ??
no one has got a iPod touch yet. they all ship in late september.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 07:22 AM   #8
NiCk-
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlivo View Post
no one has got a iPod touch yet. they all ship in late september.
Oh, ok ..
Old Sep 6, 2007, 07:25 AM   #9
rockthecasbah
macrumors 68020

You in my opinion are the perfect candidate for a Touch. You don't have many songs, so you can devote most of the remaining space to video. You shouldn't have a problem with space, especially if you get a 16GB. To your specific questions:

1. I can't tell from the Classic because I don't have one yet, but the video on the 5th gen. was managable. It wasn't great, fine for quick videos but I wouldn't want to watch a long movie on it. I'm sure people have, but the screen is too small to fully enjoy the movie.

2. See above

3. It's possible that Apple may update them, but i wouldn't really expect too much innovation from Apple with free updates. Maybe they'll sell apps on the iTMS? 3rd Party breakthroughs? Apple hasn't been one for updating software with new features generally (see the lack of adding search functionality to the early 5th gen iPods when the 5.5 gens were released).

4. There's a chance but don't hold your breath. Just buy and be happy honestly, you have very little to lose in your case

5. I have used both and love both. For big libraries people have said that the click wheel is a better option, but you don't have that issue so I wouldn't worry. I think the Touch screen is more fun to use and will work just fine for you.

Hope that helped.
"Ignore her, she's a feminist"
rockthecasbah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2007, 07:56 AM   #10
NiCk-
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockthecasbah View Post
Hope that helped.
It really did ! Thank you very much !
Old Sep 6, 2007, 10:30 AM   #11
gkarris
macrumors 604

I have the 5G 60Gig model with a lot of videos.

The screen is fine, then I went to the store and saw the iPhone's...

Go Touch if you watch a lot of videos.

Oh for a 160Gig iPod Touch...
Old Sep 6, 2007, 11:15 AM   #12
NiCk-
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkarris View Post
I have the 5G 60Gig model with a lot of videos.

The screen is fine, then I went to the store and saw the iPhone's...

Go Touch if you watch a lot of videos.

Oh for a 160Gig iPod Touch...
I do not watch a lot of videos ... I will possibly upload a few "lost" and "prison break" episodes at a time and that's all ... I was on the edge of buying an iPod 5.5 back in August, but i waited for the event and now this happened !! On one hand, I want the iPod Classic for its massive size ( the 80gb one ... 160gb is way too much for me ! ) but on the other hand i love the look and the touch interface of the Touch .. 16gb is probably ideal for me, but i can't help thinking that i can buy the iPhone at the same price
Old Sep 6, 2007, 11:29 AM   #13
JonHimself
macrumors 68000

Quote:
16gb is probably ideal for me, but i can't help thinking that i can buy the iPhone at the same price
That's my logic... I have 40GB+ of music and have outgrown my current iPod. I plan on buying on an iPhone when it's available so it would be useless to have a Touch and an iPhone as they are very similar. If you only have that much music, why not get the 8GB nano and then buy an iPhone? (Unless you're not serious at all about buying the iPhone)
Old Sep 6, 2007, 11:59 AM   #14
NiCk-
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonHimself View Post
That's my logic... I have 40GB+ of music and have outgrown my current iPod. I plan on buying on an iPhone when it's available so it would be useless to have a Touch and an iPhone as they are very similar. If you only have that much music, why not get the 8GB nano and then buy an iPhone? (Unless you're not serious at all about buying the iPhone)
I really like the iPhone, but unfortunately so far very few details are known for its availability in Greece ( date, provider, price etc ) ... In fact the only thing that we know so far, is that it will come some time in 2008 ...
The 8gb Nano is priced at the same price as the classic 80gb, so i prefer buying the classic instead of a Nano which i don't really like in its 3rd gen design and i don't mind sacrificing a few inches for 72gb
Old Sep 6, 2007, 12:31 PM   #15
nylon
macrumors 6502a

I'm waiting for slightly more storage on the touch before I dive in. 16GB is a little to light on the storage for me even though I am extremely tempted.

Hopefully next year will bring a 32GB model at which point I am sold. I'd also me extremely happy with a 16GB nano for the gym.
nylon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2007, 01:46 PM   #16
aidanpendragon
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I do not watch a lot of videos ... I will possibly upload a few "lost" and "prison break" episodes at a time and that's all ... I was on the edge of buying an iPod 5.5 back in August, but i waited for the event and now this happened !! On one hand, I want the iPod Classic for its massive size ( the 80gb one ... 160gb is way too much for me ! ) but on the other hand i love the look and the touch interface of the Touch .. 16gb is probably ideal for me, but i can't help thinking that i can buy the iPhone at the same price
The overwhelming reason to get a Touch, other than "it's cool," is for video. Comparing the screens btwn iPhone and the regular/classic iPod, the iPhone (Touch's) is hands-down better for video.

If as you say you're not going to watch a lot of video, and will mainly use this for audio, go for the 80GB classic. Cheaper, and probably a better audio player due to the physical wheel controls (easier to use in your pocket). From what I've seen of others using them, the screen is OK enough for short video watching (I wouldn't use it to watch a movie).
aidanpendragon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2007, 02:23 PM   #17
NiCk-
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidanpendragon View Post
The overwhelming reason to get a Touch, other than "it's cool," is for video. Comparing the screens btwn iPhone and the regular/classic iPod, the iPhone (Touch's) is hands-down better for video.

If as you say you're not going to watch a lot of video, and will mainly use this for audio, go for the 80GB classic. Cheaper, and probably a better audio player due to the physical wheel controls (easier to use in your pocket). From what I've seen of others using them, the screen is OK enough for short video watching (I wouldn't use it to watch a movie).
I've come to the conclusion that i'll be buying the Classic mainly for the reason that i intend to buy an iPhone next year for all the extras that the Touch is offering ... As i said, i do not intend watching movies on my iPod regularly apart from few Lost episodes here and there ... Hopefully the screen will be good enough for this purpose ..

P.s. Thank you for answering everybody you have been really helpful !

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod