Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

For those in Rest of World, will you be...

• a) Waiting for iPhone launch before upgrading.

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • b) Balls to waiting! Buy an iPod Touch now and an iPhone on launch.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • c) Balls to waiting! Buy an iPod Touch now and to hell with the iPhone.

Votes: 16 84.2%

• Total voters

Derwood

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 21, 2005
The iPod Touch being launched outside the US prior to the launch of iPhone outside the US is surely not how Apple would have wanted it. Sure enough, there will be plenty of people who will want to get their hands on a touchscreen iPod as soon as possible and I am sure they will fly off the shelves. Whether or not those people would then be prepared to fork out for an iPhone a few months later will remain to be seen.

I wonder if this means there has been further wrangles between ROW mobile network operators and Apple. I understand that Xmas is a huge time for iPod sales but this seems weird to me.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
I really want an iPhone but its going to be 6 months or more before I get access to one locally and then I may not because the phone package will be too expensive or have more limited functionality than the US package does.

So i have ordered one.

I wrote this on my blog, just after watching some Japanese TV coverage of the iPod Touch...

--------

As well as being pretty funky to watch, it did get me thinking.
Apple is yet to release the iPhone in Japan. Now, when it was released in the US the reaction seemed to be ‘ehh, that looks pretty, but can’t we do all this Internet stuff, etc etc already on our Japanese Domestic market phones’.
There were right of course. A lot of the functionality in the iPhone has been available on Japanese phones for a while.
However, what the Japanese phones lack is ease of use, which the iPhone has in spades.

The thing is though, despite this, the most Japanese consumers tend to forget about usability (because it seems all the local manufacturers ALL don’t do it) and tend to think ‘it’s just the way things are’.
So, it wouldn’t have surprised me if the iPhone would have faired quite badly out there.

However, the iPod touch may just be a cracking bit of planning? Although Apple has not cornered the portable music player market to quite the same extent in Japan, it’s still a very strong brand. So, I suspect a fair few people out there will end up getting the iPod touch. Then, perhaps they’ll start to get used to the interface and end up liking it. Later along the line, out comes iPhone… and get guess what. It works in the same way as your iPod. Voila!

… then again, I could just be talking out of my $%£.

NiCk-

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2007
I'm from Greece and iPhone won't be here until 2008 where as the Touch will be here in a few weeks ... I really want an iPhone, but the Touch makes the wait really unbearable :p One thing is for sure .. If i buy the iPod Touch there is no way i'm buying the iPhone ... And that I believe goes for most of the people who will buy a Touch ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.