Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmonster

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2007
At first I was like 16gig are they crazy! But after sleeping on it I think it is really good. Flash compared to HD's has a lot of pros. Better preformance, battery life, size just to name a few. Sure the capacity it not near as good but you can't have everything. How much stuff do you really need on there all them time. I have my current ipod stuffed full and I sycn it almost every day. I use probably less than 1% of that stuff on a daily basis. So really it is just a waste, I will just sycn what I want for the day or week.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I totally agree. I have less than a 6 gig library, and I do want ti put my photos and some movies on there. I'm using handbrake on some movies, and the result is about 500mb for an 90 minute film. That means I can put several movies/tv shows on it on top my my entire library and photo collection! 16gigs is gonna be perfect for me.

shoelessone

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2007
I wouldn't have complained about a larger HD, but to be honest I'm sort of relieved. I was always worried with my 5.5gen iPod, not that I maybe needed to be, but anytime I'd run somewhere with the thing in my pocket I imagined the little platters bouncing up and down.

Now I don't have to worry :).

Infact, i'll probably go with the 8gb because it's 100 bucks cheaper, and one way or another I'll have to micromanage my music collection.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Hard drives today are like floppies in 1996...still in wide use but you can see their days are numbered. In a year or two no iPod will use a hard drive, and laptops will have hybrid drives leading the way to all flash at some point in the next 10.

cmonster

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2007
Right not my current ipod is so full and disorganized that if I want to find one song it takes me forever. Maybe I need the nudge to get things in better order. I am really excited to get the ipod touch now that I have changed my mind set. I was only looking at one negative and not all the positives that Apple made.

jockmock

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2007
I don't think that they will introduce hdd to the touch.. If they would do that, they would already have done it... There is a reson for them choosing flash for their flagship model

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
i too came to this realization. i used to want to have all my music as a backup but as i have it all on my external as well on dvds, i dont need it with me all the time. buuuuut does anyone know if previous ipod accessories work with the touch or iphone currently? im talking along lines of car chargers and the power they put out. if it is compatible im getting a touch, if not probably the classic

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
i too came to this realization. i used to want to have all my music as a backup but as i have it all on my external as well on dvds, i dont need it with me all the time. buuuuut does anyone know if previous ipod accessories work with the touch or iphone currently? im talking along lines of car chargers and the power they put out. if it is compatible im getting a touch, if not probably the classic

My car system worked fine with my friend's iPod. Charging and playing included.

It's all the dock connector, so...

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
Yeah, sometimes less is more.
When I got my 8GB iPhone, I was a little nervous.
But I had tons of stuff I never watched or listened to.

I did a real quick and dirty pass through my library to sort out what I would never need and now I've got no worries.

And I really didn't appreciate shuffle playback until I did this.

Black Belt

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
California
If they are going to gip us on the memory, they need to give iTunes more automated features to load and unload content to keep you TEENY 16Gigs fresh. And some of us use lossless instead of lossy compression so 16 Gigs is REALLY small and absurd for your main iPod.

If the Touch had the 160Gig drive, I'd be waiting in line. At only 10% of that, I say "Meh". And the 160 Classic is just basically a space upgrade, coverflow isn't that big a deal.

I about spit my drink when they announced the Starbucks thing. Amazingly underwhelming for them having worked on it for 2 years. Wow, Free Access to a Store. Gee Thanks. I would've rather they spent the 2 years getting more than 16 Gigs into the Touch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.