Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Sep 6, 2007, 05:36 PM   #1
Shorties
macrumors 6502a

Old games don't work on the new iPods?

When you go to the games section of the iTunes store it says iPod games only compatible with 5th gen iPods. Coming Soon: Tetris, Ms. PAC-Man and Sudoku will be compatible with the iPod Nano (Video) and iPod Classic.

I have bought 8 iPod games off of iTunes, does this mean that when i get my Classic I have to rebuy them? Or will they be updated to support it, and if so how long before the other 4 that aren't currently supported are supported.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 06:01 PM   #2
kerotab
macrumors member

That's a good question. I'd like to know that too.
kerotab is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2007, 06:01 PM   #3
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorties View Post
When you go to the games section of the iTunes store it says iPod games only compatible with 5th gen iPods. Coming Soon: Tetris, Ms. PAC-Man and Sudoku will be compatible with the iPod Nano (Video) and iPod Classic.

I have bought 8 iPod games off of iTunes, does this mean that when i get my Classic I have to rebuy them? Or will they be updated to support it, and if so how long before the other 4 that aren't currently supported are supported.
That truly bites. You email iTMS support and ask if the paid games are going to get updated. Heck I have 5 year old GameBoy Advance games that work in my DS. No reason why iPod games should go stale that quickly.
Chupa Chupa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2007, 06:34 PM   #4
amycishere
macrumors 6502

Yeah, I'd really like the new bowling game on ipod classic. I can't see why it would be any different than the 5.5 generation. Maybe the 5.5 was better and I just should of bought one.
amycishere is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2007, 06:30 AM   #5
milo
macrumors 603

The new ones are completely different hardware and OS. Games will have to be ported to work.

I assume they'll probably update any games that are popular enough, who knows if the update will be free for people who already bought them.

Were your game boy games five bucks each?
milo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2007, 06:49 AM   #6
adamcz
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo View Post
Gameboy games were a lot deeper and made on much higher budgets, so no they weren't $5, and that's a dumb comparison.
adamcz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2007, 07:21 AM   #7
milo
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcz View Post
Gameboy games were a lot deeper and made on much higher budgets, so no they weren't $5, and that's a dumb comparison.
It IS a dumb comparison, that's exactly my point.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 07:35 AM   #8
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo View Post
The new ones are completely different hardware and OS. Games will have to be ported to work.

I assume they'll probably update any games that are popular enough, who knows if the update will be free for people who already bought them.

Uh the Gameboy DS is a completely different hardware and OS from the Advance too. Nintendo just coded in support for Advance games in the DS. Obviously Apple did not do this with the "Classic." Price is irrelevent. That is the price Apple set. Would it really make a difference to you if Apple charged $10 or $15? The point is you paid for a game to work on a recent iPod system and now it doesn't work. That kinda blows. The fact it was only $5 makes it a little easier to deal with, but it still blows nonetheless.
Chupa Chupa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2007, 07:50 AM   #9
milo
macrumors 603

Apple JUST shipped these new ipods. They will have new games, but none are ready yet.

At this point we have no idea what apple will do with old games. If they sold well, they'll likely port them to the new ipods. They may or may not offer a free or discounted update for people who have already bought.

So why not just wait and see what happens when apple starts releasing games instead of going into preemptive worst case scenario mode? If you're really that concerned, why don't you just call up Apple and see what their response is?

Apple's exact wording is:
"Coming Soon: Tetris, Ms. PAC-Man and Sudoku will be compatible with the iPod Nano (Video) and iPod Classic"

Sounds like a free update might be possible, you can't really tell from that. Why not just wait until ("soon") when these are updated and if it's buy again instead of a free upgrade, complain then?
Old Sep 7, 2007, 08:25 AM   #10
Dagless
macrumors Core

That's a stupid thing to do, people buy these games and then they won't play on their new iPods? Every other video game system (even phones) has some kind of legacy support.

Fix it Apple.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 08:30 AM   #11
milo
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedjimmi View Post
That's a stupid thing to do, people buy these games and then they won't play on their new iPods? Every other video game system (even phones) has some kind of legacy support.

Fix it Apple.
What's a stupid thing to do? Did you miss "Coming Soon: Tetris, Ms. PAC-Man and Sudoku will be compatible with the iPod Nano (Video) and iPod Classic"?

Apple has said they're fixing it, at least for those games. The question is whether it will be free, why assume the worst instead of just waiting to see what they do?
Old Sep 9, 2007, 07:24 AM   #12
skyzophrenyk
macrumors newbie

sigh..

You know what I find funny about this? If this was everyones iTunes music collection, it would have made front page news and people would be freaking out, but because it's games, it doesn't affect anyone so nobody cares. Apple is really starting to disappoint me. First the iPhone thing, which I wasn't even affected buy, but it still makes me mad. Then you look at the game problem. On top of that, the 20 dollar TV-Out cable I bought is useless now and I have to go buy a new one that costs $50 and has a wall charger, which I have no use for. It'd be nice if it came with a car charger or something useful to me personally. Come on apple, get on the ball here.
skyzophrenyk is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod