Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GrimmPenguin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
I'm considering getting a Apple laptop before the end of the year is over. I plan to use it for internet, school work, iTunes, LIGHT photo editing, and multi-track recording with GarageBand. I'm thinking of possibly getting a PB12" 1.5GHz with it's specs maxed out.

However, I have a few questions and need some advice.

I plan to use this machine for 1-3 years. Depending on if a smaller size MBP comes out(I'm still hoping), or the MB's get something that I really want. I was planning on originally getting a MB(the middle model), but I thought that since I wasn't keeping it for so long why spend so much on it. A PowerBook would be significantly cheaper for sure. I like the PB's design much better than the MacBook's. It seems more sturdy and whatnot to me. I also like the small, compact design of the PB.

My questions are:
-Would the model PowerBook I'm looking at be able to handle the things I wish to do at ease?
-If Leopard entices me enough, will it be able to run well on the PowerBook?
-With the time I plan on using the laptop, would I be better off grinning and bearing and just get a MacBook, or should I stick with the PowerBook? I really don't want to invest much into this laptop I'm getting.
-Are the PPC G4 processors okay? This may sound weird, but it's just another one of my weird reasons of wanting to get a PB. I really like the G4 processors, I dunno why but I just like them. It feels more authentic to have PPC in a Mac computer to me than it does having Intel Inside. And there's just something about hearing of Intel Integrated Graphics in a Mac that makes my stomach churn.

Any opinions are much appreciated! Thanks a lot.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Form factor and design aside, the MacBook is (far and away) the superior computer. And I say that as a Powerbook G4 owner. I've worked with MacBooks during ProCare sessions and been able to compare them directly to my PB (1.33 GHz, 1.25 GB RAM, 15", etc) and there's simply nothing the PB does as quickly.

So to answer your question, you'd be better served with a MacBook, so yes, you should just grit your teeth and get one. A 12" PB might be a bit cheaper--look at what they go for on eBay!--but the MacBook is the far more capable machine. Plus, the MacBook is a lot more rugged than the PB.

Put it this way--if someone offered to swap my PB for any current or last generation MacBook, I'd do it in a second.

Bob

CRAZYBUBBA

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
Toronto/Houston
My answers to your questions:

NOTE: I I OWN A MAXED OUT 12" PB AND AM POSSIBLY BIASED.

-Would the model PowerBook I'm looking at be able to handle the things I wish to do at ease?

A: Yes

-If Leopard entices me enough, will it be able to run well on the PowerBook?

A: Sure, but it would obviously run better on a core 2 duo system. I imagine that time machine will be as cpu intensive on a last gen PB as dashboard is on a 1 GHZ PB, so its not a big deal.

-With the time I plan on using the laptop, would I be better off grinning and bearing and just get a MacBook, or should I stick with the PowerBook? I really don't want to invest much into this laptop I'm getting.

A: Powerbooks= cheap, reliable, and prettier. Also, since its a last rev PPC there are no infamous intel switch quality control issues.

-Are the PPC G4 processors okay? This may sound weird, but it's just another one of my weird reasons of wanting to get a PB. I really like the G4 processors, I dunno why but I just like them. It feels more authentic to have PPC in a Mac computer to me than it does having Intel Inside. And there's just something about hearing of Intel Integrated Graphics in a Mac that makes my stomach churn.

A: Join the club.

Any opinions are much appreciated! Thanks a lot.

GrimmPenguin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Form factor and design aside, the MacBook is (far and away) the superior computer. And I say that as a Powerbook G4 owner. I've worked with MacBooks during ProCare sessions and been able to compare them directly to my PB (1.33 GHz, 1.25 GB RAM, 15", etc) and there's simply nothing the PB does as quickly.

So to answer your question, you'd be better served with a MacBook, so yes, you should just grit your teeth and get one. A 12" PB might be a bit cheaper--look at what they go for on eBay!--but the MacBook is the far more capable machine. Plus, the MacBook is a lot more rugged than the PB.

Put it this way--if someone offered to swap my PB for any current or last generation MacBook, I'd do it in a second.

Bob

I've been looking a lot, and I see an average between 650-850 on eBay for the PB12". May I ask what you mean by "more capable"? And I dunno... I just have this thought of the MacBooks having lots of problems with yellowing, chipping, screen issues, and all the other jargon posted in this forum about them. I just don't hear near as many people having problems with the PoweBook.

Thanks a lot for your input.

GrimmPenguin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
@ CRAZYBUBBA
Thanks for your information. I'm still not quite sure about Leopard. There's nothing in it that I feel that I must have. As far as backing up goes... I prefer to do that manually and on a separate hard drive as well. I'm just not really fond of this new glossy/plastic-like look that newer operating systems are creating. But that all boils down to personal preference I guess.

CRAZYBUBBA

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
Toronto/Houston
Please keep in mind that you'll always hear more about defective computers on the forums, people with perfect computers don't make threads to talk about them. Some 15" 17" powerbooks had some screen issues close to the last revision too, however you won't hear much about that on the forums because its not a current model.

I've been looking a lot, and I see an average between 650-850 on eBay for the PB12". May I ask what you mean by "more capable"? And I dunno... I just have this thought of the MacBooks having lots of problems with yellowing, chipping, screen issues, and all the other jargon posted in this forum about them. I just don't hear near as many people having problems with the PoweBook.

Thanks a lot for your input.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Grimm--

The 12" PB has a LOT of romance around it, because it is the smallest PB made and some people just love how they look. They are too darn small for me, but I can see the appeal. Just don't confuse the aesthetic appeal with actual performance.

What I mean by more capable is that the MacBook will do something in half the time the 12" PB can do it in. Take a look at some of the benchmarks that are out there. The MacBook will also be more future-proof, since software developers are concentrating on apps for Intel Macs, and Apple is likely to support the MacBook for farther into the future than the PB.

If you've looked a lot on eBay, you'll see that you can get a MacBook for not much more, if any, than a 12" PB. Essentially, you have to make a choice between aesthetics and computing power. If aesthetics are more important, get the PB. If it's computing power, get a MB. Of course, you could always get a MBP and have both...

Oh, and if you look in the old threads on the forums, you'll see PLENTY of complaints about the Powerbooks--whether 12", 15", or 17". There is, as I've suggested, a tendency to romanticize the Powerbooks. They were, and are, great computers. But don't make them into more than they are.

Bob

psingh01

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
I had a 15" Powerbook G4 until March when I sold it to get a MBP. Historically new versions of OSX tend to run faster than the previous version (so it is reasonable to assume it will be the case with Leopard). The Powerbook will do everything you want and do it well I think. As long as the programs you need are universal binary then you are set.

The Powerbook was great, I had it for 3 years and it didn't feel slow. The only reason I switched to intel was for the ability to run Windows in virtualization when I needed to.

GrimmPenguin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Grimm--

The 12" PB has a LOT of romance around it, because it is the smallest PB made and some people just love how they look. They are too darn small for me, but I can see the appeal. Just don't confuse the aesthetic appeal with actual performance.

What I mean by more capable is that the MacBook will do something in half the time the 12" PB can do it in. Take a look at some of the benchmarks that are out there. The MacBook will also be more future-proof, since software developers are concentrating on apps for Intel Macs, and Apple is likely to support the MacBook for farther into the future than the PB.

If you've looked a lot on eBay, you'll see that you can get a MacBook for not much more, if any, than a 12" PB. Essentially, you have to make a choice between aesthetics and computing power. If aesthetics are more important, get the PB. If it's computing power, get a MB. Of course, you could always get a MBP and have both...

Oh, and if you look in the old threads on the forums, you'll see PLENTY of complaints about the Powerbooks--whether 12", 15", or 17". There is, as I've suggested, a tendency to romanticize the Powerbooks. They were, and are, great computers. But don't make them into more than they are.

Bob

Do you think it would be stupid of me to choose a laptop for aesthetics? I mean, I don't want to make a bad decision just because I thought something looked prettier.

I feel that that PowerBook will be faster than anything I have had, so I probably won't "feel" a lack of power/speed.
My current computer is 1.0GHz AMD Duron with 512MB of RAM
My last laptop was pathetic: 2.0GHZ Celeron Processor w/ 256MB RAM

GreatDrok

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2006
New Zealand
I had a 12" PB 1.5Ghz issued to me at my last job. I also own an MBP so I can do a decent comparison. The keyboards are similar and pretty good. The PB had a sticky cursor key but was otherwise fine but there is no backlight. The screen is ghastly. It is dim and has poor resolution. Performance was pretty poor. The machine only had 768MB so would probably have benefited a lot from having 1.25GB but it should have been better than it was. Battery life was nothing to write home about either, it managed about 4 hours at best so is quite similar to my MBP. The form factor was nice, cute even, but the limitations of the screen countered that in my experience. Worst of all, the thing was hotter than hell and the fans ran at horrendous speed any time it needed to do some processing.

Honestly, get a MB or a refurb MBP if you can. The 12" looks great and is easy to lug about but really, its time is past. In the end, I stopped using the 12" and used my own MBP for work.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Do you think it would be stupid of me to choose a laptop for aesthetics?

Heck no! You are the only one that has to be happy with it!

That said, pay close attention to what Greatdrok wrote. I think you'll find that happening more and more as Apple and outside developers write more and more purely for Intel. On the other hand, you could probably sell it for what you buy it for, so the cost to own it probably wouldn't be too bad.....

Bob

MikeL

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2003
Bloomington, MN
You want a PPC because you feel it's more authentic? Gimme a break. As someone who's been using Mac laptops for nearly a decade, ranging from G3s to G4s to the MB I have now, I can tell you that's as silly of a statement as I've ever read.

The 12" was great. I liked mine a lot. That said, I'm damn glad I got out from under it a year ago. They simply can't compare with the speed of the Intel models. Garage Band was a dog on the 12".

Buy current hardware. You'll never regret it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.