Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Sep 6, 2007, 09:04 PM   #1
adamcz
macrumors regular

Doh! My new nano won't work with my Mac!

I have 10.3.9. I guess they decided only the newest Mac purchasers get to use the new ipods. Sort of sucks to bring the thing home, plug it in, and be denied. Now I have to decide if I want to pay $20 to return it, or put it on ebay.

You know they could make it compatible with my OS if they wanted to. They just don't want to, because they think they can force me to update to a new OS this way.

Is it my fault for not asking more questions at the store about whether it would work with my computer? Honestly, I bought into the hype of "it's a mac - stuff just works." I guess that line holds true for printers and cameras, but not with products actually made by Apple.

adamcz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2007, 09:06 PM   #2
Shorties
macrumors 6502a

Why not upgrade to Tiger, or wait and upgrade to leopard. Then you iPod will work great.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 09:10 PM   #3
adamcz
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorties View Post
Why not upgrade to Tiger, or wait and upgrade to leopard. Then you iPod will work great.
Or maybe I should upgrade to Windows, since Apple thinks they can mess with me.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 09:13 PM   #4
torchwood04
macrumors regular

Okay, breathe, Leopard is just around the corner. If I can go without an iPod for 6-8 weeks, you can too, sure it's an inconvenience, but then again, any time now, Apple will be dropping security updates for Panther too. Just wait until Leopard, you'll be fine. Seriously.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 09:15 PM   #5
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcz View Post
I have 10.3.9. I guess they decided only the newest Mac purchasers get to use the new ipods.
Only the newest? The very first Mac I bought over two years ago came with 10.4?!
aristobrat is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2007, 09:17 PM   #6
wakerider017
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to wakerider017
Quote:
Or maybe I should upgrade to Windows, since Apple thinks they can mess with me.
They are not "messing" with you...

I have never heard some one say "What the heck man, why can't I use my Zune with windows 98..."

You have an OLD OS... Over 2 years old in fact...

Just wait and buy Leopard..
wakerider017 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2007, 09:17 PM   #7
torchwood04
macrumors regular

Okay, dude, my G3 runs 10.4.10 lol, I'm sure you have a higher end mac rofl..
Old Sep 6, 2007, 09:19 PM   #8
adamcz
macrumors regular

I'm not paying for a new OS to use a product I just bought. The OS I have works just fine, and the only reason they decided not to make the ipod compatible is because they think they can force me to spend more money. Doesn't work that way for me - I'm not a fanboy with unwavering brand loyalty.

If they want to push me away with greedy tactics like this, that's a choice they're free to make. I'm sure they calculated the risks and decided that they would lose a few angry customers but force a few more to pay extra money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakerider017 View Post
You have an OLD OS... Over 2 years old in fact...
How old is Windows XP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristobrat View Post
Only the newest? The very first Mac I bought over two years ago came with 10.4?!
Is 10.4 the most current OS or is it not?

Last edited by bousozoku; Sep 7, 2007 at 03:17 AM. Reason: posts next to each other
Old Sep 6, 2007, 09:22 PM   #9
neuroticomic
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristobrat View Post
HAHAAHA, i was gonna say the same thing.

apple is assuming u kept up with the times.
i have a g3 ibook that runs tiger.

oy.

move on up dude.
neuroticomic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2007, 09:29 PM   #10
adamcz
macrumors regular

My wife has 10.4, so I use it all the time, and I honestly can't name a single difference other than widgets, which I don't care about even slightly. Why should I pay $80 for fricking widgets??? Yeah I know there are 10 million hidden features or whatever, but if I can't tell what they are while going back and forth between the two systems, they aren't that important.

Windows XP was released in 2001, and Apple decided to support that. It's clear that I will get better support from Apple if I buy a PC, so I will not rule that out for my next purchase.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 09:31 PM   #11
torchwood04
macrumors regular

Erm, buy Leopard? Seriously, at least go to a current (in security updates) OS, Panther will be cut from security updates very soon..
Old Sep 6, 2007, 09:31 PM   #12
powderblue17
macrumors regular

Apple has only ever supported 2 OS versions at once. So for these new iPods that means Tiger and Leopard. They will also stop updating Panther after Leopard is released so it only makes sense that the new iPods are for Tiger or Leopard. The only reason XP is still supported is because of the 3 year delay that was Vista. If it had come out in 2003 like what was originally planned then they might have dropped XP support by now also. Vista only came out in 2006 so of course they have to support XP.
powderblue17 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2007, 09:32 PM   #13
adamcz
macrumors regular

I'm going to buy a Zune.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 09:34 PM   #14
powderblue17
macrumors regular

Quote:
I'm going to buy a Zune.
Good luck getting that to work with Panther.
powderblue17 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2007, 09:36 PM   #15
Eclipse278
macrumors regular

Quote:
I'm going to buy a Zune.
lol good one
Old Sep 6, 2007, 09:37 PM   #16
Garrett
macrumors regular

Adamcz, before making you purchase you sure didn't take into effect the system version you needed:
Mac computer with USB 2.0 port
Mac OS X v10.4.8 or later
iTunes 7.4 or later
So I don't feel any sorrow for you, did you think of the 1 feature out of the 10,000,000 to do something for the updating of the iPod, or supporting it?

Maybe you should rethink the thread title: Doh! My new nano won't work with my unsupported mac!

Sorry to come as the *******, but you just seem to have asked for it.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 09:40 PM   #17
janitorC7
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to janitorC7 Send a message via Skype™ to janitorC7
Quote:
I'm going to buy a Zune.
good. can I hold onto your ipod in the mean time, I will work a little like a pawn shop. Only 20% when you want it back, dont worry, I'll never take it out of the package.

Have fun making the zune work with your mac, then again you could always buy a new PC. $800 for a pc box, thats cheeper than a mac os update, rite?
janitorC7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2007, 09:43 PM   #18
adamcz
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
Adamcz, before making you purchase you sure didn't take into effect the system version you needed:
No I didn't, and there are a couple reasons for that. The biggest by far is that Mac claims over and over again that they just work. You buy stuff, plug it in, and it works. The last thing going through my head at the store was asking if the thing was compatible with my Mac, which isn't that old, and has the second most recent OS.

The other thing is that they don't have the system requirements on display anywhere in the store. They keep the boxes behind the checkout and I never once touched it before I bought it. The cashier put it straight into the bag.

I've been using Mac products since 1999, and have never needed to ask about compatibility. I thought for sure that ipods were compatible with all computers.

Quote:
Sorry to come as the *******, but you just seem to have asked for it.
If only I had known to buy a windows computer, this thread wouldn't exist, because it would be supported.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 09:45 PM   #19
adamcz
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitorC7 View Post
$800 for a pc box, thats cheeper than a mac os update, rite?
Clever sarcasm, but a new mac OS is just a fee to pay to use the ipod, and widgets. It does nothing else.

If I buy a new PC, then I've got all new hardware and compatibility with all sorts of software that doesn't work on this mac. Do I really want to pay 10% of the cost of a brand new computer as a fee for using an ipod?
Old Sep 6, 2007, 09:46 PM   #20
MikeTheC

I don't mean to be rude or anything, but why would you honestly expect the new iPods to work with that old an OS?
MikeTheC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2007, 09:50 PM   #21
swiftaw
macrumors 603

Quote:
Clever sarcasm, but a new mac OS is just a fee to pay to use the ipod, and widgets. It does nothing else.

If I buy a new PC, then I've got all new hardware and compatibility with all sorts of software that doesn't work on this mac. Do I really want to pay 10% of the cost of a brand new computer as a fee for using an ipod?
So, you're running an operating system that is 4 years old and was replaced 2 and a half years ago, and you just presumed that some brand new hardware would work, and somehow it's apple's fault?

You've made the choice not to upgrade, so you have to live with the fact that the latest and greatest software/hardware might not be supported.

To quote you from another thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...62#post3662262
swiftaw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2007, 09:52 PM   #22
thejadedmonkey
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to thejadedmonkey
Tiger is the latest OS. Vista is the latest OS.
Panther is not supported. XP is supported.

WTF? This is just Apple looking to make $$$ off of people who wouldn't otherwise upgrade. It's not like Panther can't work with the new iPod, it just needs the appropriate driver support. This is Apple being greedy, plain and simple. I don't get why everyone is defending apple for not supporting their current gen -1 OS.
experience comes from bad judgment."
- Mulla Nasrudin
thejadedmonkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2007, 09:53 PM   #23
wakerider017
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to wakerider017
Let him buy a Zune...

It will serve him right.
wakerider017 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2007, 09:54 PM   #24
swiftaw
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejadedmonkey View Post
Tiger is the latest OS. | Vista is the latest OS.
Panther is not supported. | XP is supported.

WTF? This is just Apple looking to make $$$ off of people who wouldn't otherwise upgrade. It's not like Panther can't work with the new iPod, it just needs the appropriate driver support. This is Apple being greedy, plain and simple. I don't get why everyone is defending apple for not supporting their current gen -1 OS.
XP was only replaced 8 months ago, Panther was replaced 2 and a half years ago, and it's replacement is about to be replaced.

Plus, XP is still the dominant Windows OS, whereas Panther is nowhere near the dominant Apple OS.
swiftaw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2007, 09:58 PM   #25
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejadedmonkey View Post
Tiger is the latest OS. Vista is the latest OS.
Panther is not supported. XP is supported.

You honestly pretend like Leopard isn't taking the lions share of Apple's resources at the moment?

10.5 = Vista
10.4 = XP
10.3 = Windows ME

They couldn't freaking get the iPhone out the door on time without delaying Leopard.

Why on EARTH would they spend their resources updating an OS that very few people are using just to support a new product?
aristobrat is online now   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod