Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Sep 6, 2007, 09:25 PM   #1
JohnEZ
macrumors member

iTunes Giving Funky iPod Error Messages

My iPod started acting up recently, and would refuse to mount on the desktop the first time I plugged it in.... so I'd have to go back, unplug it, and plug it back in again. Frustrating, right?

So I restored it from iTunes. Or at least that's what I thought I was doing. So I hit restore, I allowed it to sync back... and about 3/4 of the way through, it gives me this nice, neat, little error message:

"Attempting to copy to the disk 'John's iPod' failed. An unknown error occurred. (-54)"

I've tried to restore it again. I've tried to repair it in disk utility. Nothing quite seems to work.

Is my iPod a goner? It's only 1.5 years old... that's not supposed to happen.

Thanks,
John

Last edited by JohnEZ; Sep 6, 2007 at 09:38 PM.
JohnEZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2007, 09:47 PM   #2
ebel3003
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEZ View Post
My iPod started acting up recently, and would refuse to mount on the desktop the first time I plugged it in.... so I'd have to go back, unplug it, and plug it back in again. Frustrating, right?

So I restored it from iTunes. Or at least that's what I thought I was doing. So I hit restore, I allowed it to sync back... and about 3/4 of the way through, it gives me this nice, neat, little error message:

"Attempting to copy to the disk 'John's iPod' failed. An unknown error occurred. (-54)"

I've tried to restore it again. I've tried to repair it in disk utility. Nothing quite seems to work.

Is my iPod a goner? It's only 1.5 years old... that's not supposed to happen.

Thanks,
John
A friend of mine had this problem, we tried everything (including Sprinrite) and we weren't able to get it working. Supposed logic board problem. Best bet is to contact apple (if you got applecare) otherwise you have an excuse to buy an iPod Touch.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 09:50 PM   #3
JohnEZ
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebel3003 View Post
A friend of mine had this problem, we tried everything (including Sprinrite) and we weren't able to get it working. Supposed logic board problem. Best bet is to contact apple (if you got applecare) otherwise you have an excuse to buy an iPod Touch.
Gah, that's frustrating. Nope, no Applecare on this thing... so I guess I won't be buying another iPod without that, that's for sure.

iPod Touch, here I come...
JohnEZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2007, 09:51 PM   #4
ebel3003
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEZ View Post
Gah, that's frustrating. Nope, no Applecare on this thing... so I guess I won't be buying another iPod without that, that's for sure.

iPod Touch, here I come...
I thought it to be useless before, but after what happened to my buddy's, I purchased the applecare with my 8gb 2gen nano. My money is on that I won't need it though.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod