Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Sep 7, 2007, 01:21 AM   #1
Skull21
macrumors member

iPod classic tv out

For some reason I can't turn on TV out. If I click the action button, it remains at off. Is anyone else having this problem?
Skull21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2007, 04:42 AM   #2
typecast.nz
macrumors newbie

don't think classics support tv out through the headphone jack anymore, only through dock (can someone confirm/retort this). is this how you are trying to connect it?
typecast.nz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2007, 04:42 AM   #3
autumnmike
macrumors member

What kinda of cord are you using? I wasn't sure. But for some odd reason i thought you need a ipod classic specific cord. Just curious.
autumnmike is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2007, 04:44 AM   #4
autumnmike
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by typecast.nz View Post
don't think classics support tv out through the headphone jack anymore, only through dock (can someone confirm/retort this). is this how you are trying to connect it?
I know that you do need a 30-prong plug to do video in 480i. i never had a video ipod, so i dont' know how they connect. But yes, it is only video connect through pin connector, aka the bottom. The cord is 50 bucks, the dock is 50 bucks. i think you can just go straight cord to tv.
autumnmike is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2007, 06:27 AM   #5
milo
macrumors 603

Anyone with ANY of the new ipods get one of the new cables and try the video out yet?

And has anyone with a new one tried a video at the new higher setting?
milo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2007, 08:56 AM   #6
Skull21
macrumors member

I'm connecting the ipod classic using an old ipod photo dock+s-video. According to this http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300233 , I guess it doesn't work with the classic. Time to get a new dock.
Skull21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2007, 09:14 AM   #7
milo
macrumors 603

Thanks for the link. Odd that it doesn't mention the touch since the apple store says it's supported. Maybe it's just limited to shipping models so far?
Old Sep 7, 2007, 10:32 AM   #8
cuestakid
macrumors 68000

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/new...-add-ons/11371

ilounge has basically confirmed that all video add-on devices or similar devices don't work on the new classics or nanos-
cuestakid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2007, 11:21 AM   #9
gkarris
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuestakid View Post

ilounge has basically confirmed that all video add-on devices or similar devices don't work on the new classics or nanos-
The article says the old universal dock works though...
Old Sep 7, 2007, 11:56 AM   #10
cuestakid
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkarris View Post
The article says the old universal dock works though...
from the article
Quote:
Testing results with old accessories have been mixed, but largely negative. iLounge has tested the new iPods with Apple’s Universal Dock and iPod Hi-Fi, both of which unlock the TV Out option—even though the Hi-Fi has no video out feature. We have also confirmed that the new iPods do not work in popular portable video displays such as the Memorex iFlip and Sonic Impact Video-55, or most speakers with video output capabilities. One notable third-party exception is Bowers and Wilkins’ recent $600 speaker system Zeppelin, which appears to contain an authentication chip and have been assisted during development by Apple, unlike its lower-priced peers.
that maybe but these types of devices are a no-go
cuestakid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2007, 02:28 PM   #11
milo
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuestakid View Post

Or at least that older ones don't. Apple is selling new versions of the cables and docks and apparently some recent third party units work fine.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 04:38 AM   #12
takaogui
macrumors newbie

hi, i have a question, i got a classic (coming tomorrow) and today i bought a universal dock (that didn't came with av cable), so, since i already own a product with the chip can i buy a ordinary av cable for ipod or do i need the "official" av cable aswell?
thanks
takaogui is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2008, 10:05 AM   #13
cesto
macrumors newbie

i just got a 80 gig classic and the tv out option allows me to choose between on off and ask...

my question is what kind of cable should i get...

dos it connect through the ipod connector via usb because the ipod link above shows just component or composite with usb end...

i am confused help me please...

anybody with classic and has this worked?
cesto is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2008, 10:27 AM   #14
gswyckoff
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesto View Post
i just got a 80 gig classic and the tv out option allows me to choose between on off and ask...

my question is what kind of cable should i get...

dos it connect through the ipod connector via usb because the ipod link above shows just component or composite with usb end...

i am confused help me please...

anybody with classic and has this worked?
The simple answer is the Apple AV cable accessory which is like $50. However, if you are like me with a third party portable video player, mine is the Sonic Impact V55, then the current firmware version does not allow the TV out to work. I am in the process of finding/downloading the 1.0.2 version firmware that will supposedly allow this function to work. The AV cable for an additional $50 annoys me. Plus it prevents the nice streamlined interface for the player docking.

Hope this helps.
gswyckoff is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2008, 11:56 AM   #15
alphaod
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by typecast.nz View Post
You are correct; on my 4th, 5th gen iPods, I could use my headphones' jack and plug in the A/V out cable from there. The Classic version requires a dock connector; there is even the icon there than says I have to use the dock connector.
Old May 20, 2008, 07:55 AM   #16
gswyckoff
macrumors newbie

No dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
You are correct; on my 4th, 5th gen iPods, I could use my headphones' jack and plug in the A/V out cable from there. The Classic version requires a dock connector; there is even the icon there than says I have to use the dock connector.
I believe there is a new AV cable that simply plugs into the bottom of the iPod Classic. No Dock.
gswyckoff is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2008, 10:33 AM   #17
alphaod
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by gswyckoff View Post
I believe there is a new AV cable that simply plugs into the bottom of the iPod Classic. No Dock.
Well you want plug it into the dock. I checked it out at the store; you can do one of two things: plug it in directly, it comes with component and audio cables and a USB plug; or you can plug it into the dock. It's not any difference. You're paying $50 for the dock that really does nothing; and $50 for the A/V cable.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 08:01 PM   #18
RobK7
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
Well you want plug it into the dock. I checked it out at the store; you can do one of two things: plug it in directly, it comes with component and audio cables and a USB plug; or you can plug it into the dock. It's not any difference. You're paying $50 for the dock that really does nothing; and $50 for the A/V cable.
$100 to plug it into the tv??????
RobK7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod