Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mjs975s

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
NYC
Anyone know why you can't control the screen brightness all the way down until it essentially turns the display off? My lowest brightness is still REALLY bright.

oduinnin

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2007
Planet Earth
Still isn't dim enough for some of us. If I had one complaint about my iMac, it would be the fact that the screen is intensely bright even when I have the brightness turned down so far that the brightness bar that comes up when you hit the F-key has no blocks lit up.

Have you tried calibrating the screen yet? Or at least changing the screen profile to Adobe profile? I read in an earlier thread that changing the profile muted the brightness somewhat.

tkidBOSTON

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2005
The Hub of the Universe
Still isn't dim enough for some of us. If I had one complaint about my iMac, it would be the fact that the screen is intensely bright even when I have the brightness turned down so far that the brightness bar that comes up when you hit the F-key has no blocks lit up.

I agree with this. I love the fact that I can black out the screen on my powerbook if I want.

I understand why Apple thinks I should be able to do this on my notebook and not my desktop, but it'd be nice to do it on my iMac as well.

mjs975s

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
NYC
Yeah I want to dim it all the way down like my MacBook Pro and like the cinema displays. Widget doesn't work on new 24" iMac. Screen turns back on after only a few seconds.

mjs975s

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
NYC
That program sucks. First it changes your color profile. Second, if you drag it all the way down you can't see to turn it back up and the keyboard controls don't help. At that point all you can do is Command + Q to quit the program but then if you open the program back up, it returns to the lowest previous setting which was off so you can't control it at all and you just have to quit again.

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
That program sucks. First it changes your color profile. Second, if you drag it all the way down you can't see to turn it back up and the keyboard controls don't help. At that point all you can do is Command + Q to quit the program but then if you open the program back up, it returns to the lowest previous setting which was off so you can't control it at all and you just have to quit again.

shades doesn't do that

maestrokev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2007
Canada
yeah my new iMac is way too bright as well even after hardware calibration

this is important for anyone doing photo correction ... only solution would be to brighten up room more

pigoz

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2007
Milan, Italy
I suggest using the Adobe RGB (1998) and adjust brightness at one of the minium values... I kinda burned my eyes the first day before figuring that out :)

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
I suggest using the Adobe RGB (1998) and adjust brightness at one of the minium values... I kinda burned my eyes the first day before figuring that out :)

I read it on the other thread, tried it. I like it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.