Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iSlave

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
Up until yesterday, I was all set to get a new iPod Nano. However, like a lot of people, having seen the iPod Touch I am now very tempted by it. What I'm questioning is this -

The iPod Touch is the first iPod to require two hands in order to use it properly, and as a result, wouldn't this make it somehow less intuitive than the click wheel, which was so simple and great as it only required a thumb??

Does anyone else feel like multi-touch iPods are a bit cumbersome by comparison?

Lastly (and this only applies really to UK owners), you have to bear in mind that while your selecting songs on your iPod Touch, both your hands are in use - making you prime candidate for some chav to try and steal it off you.

At least with a click wheel iPod you still have one hand free to punch them with!

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Just go to a store and try out an iPhone for yourself. Or the touch once it ships.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I think that, if you're mainly using it for music, you're much better off with one of the non-touch iPods. The touch screen is fantastic... but not something you can do whilst it sits in your pocket. Unless someone makes a wireless remote... not impossible.

rbroady

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2007
i have no trouble selecting music with one hand on the iphone, i wouldn't think the ipod touch would be any different. It just takes some getting used to

lofight

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2007
Up until yesterday, I was all set to get a new iPod Nano. However, like a lot of people, having seen the iPod Touch I am now very tempted by it. What I'm questioning is this -

The iPod Touch is the first iPod to require two hands in order to use it properly, and as a result, wouldn't this make it somehow less intuitive than the click wheel, which was so simple and great as it only required a thumb??

Does anyone else feel like multi-touch iPods are a bit cumbersome by comparison?

Lastly (and this only applies really to UK owners), you have to bear in mind that while your selecting songs on your iPod Touch, both your hands are in use - making you prime candidate for some chav to try and steal it off you.

At least with a click wheel iPod you still have one hand free to punch them with!
You can still buy a ipod classic ... but i understand but you mean...

if you are for example on the bike and you want do change the song when your ipod touch is in your pocket you will first need to touch it to unlock and look to the screen... if your on a bike and you take your ipod nano out of your pocket you have real buttons and you can just press without looking... hopefull apple will bring one day a touchscreen that can move up and down and have the feeling of a real button.... ;)

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about

I guess you can't really try out an iPhone, but this is a legitimate concern. It's possible to use the iPhone one-handed, so I imagine the situation would be the same on the Touch. YMMV.

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2007
I have no problem changing songs on my iPhone without looking. On the headphones, the microphone button will advance to the next song if you double click it. Yes this is not the same as scrolling through to pick a specific song but if you have a nano or classic you would have to look at the screen anyway to know exactly which song you are advancing to.

Best thing to do is set up a playlist for your run or bike trip, whatever, and set the iPod touch or iPhone on shuffle... Then use the headphones button to skip to the next randomly selected song if you don't like the current one.

Also, just for reference, I don't have any problem using the iPhone one-handed. As another user pointed out it takes some getting used to but I've even memorized where most of the virtual keys are. Over time your need for direct and constant visual reference will decrease.

Annndy!

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2006
Halethorpe, MD
I have no problem changing songs on my iPhone without looking. On the headphones, the microphone button will advance to the next song if you double click it. Yes this is not the same as scrolling through to pick a specific song but if you have a nano or classic you would have to look at the screen anyway to know exactly which song you are advancing to.

I use the headphone button when I'm running. Works like a charm, don't even have to take the thing out of my pocket (I listen to my music on Shuffle anyway). Not sure how this might work on the iPod Touch though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.