Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipodtouch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
Hi, I am considering getting an Ipod Touch and I have some videos in my iTunes library that are 720x400, 720x300, and 640x480. Will these work on an
Ipod Touch?

I can't decide if I want to wait until they upgrade the memory to at least 32GB. I have been using my 15GB 3G for a long time and really love the touch widescreen and internet capabilities but with all of the movies and tv shows I have now, I do not know if I want to spend $400 for 16GB or wait. Thanks.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Apple lists 640 by 480. Others may work, but nobody will probably know until it has shipped and people have tried it out.

It also depends on bitrate and other settings.

ipodtouch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
Now that people have Touches, can anyone tell me if MPEG-4 videos up to 720x400 will work on the touch.

Thanks.

ynblood

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2007
My question is can you load pre-recorded DVD on the Itouch? Also do you have to use itunes to do it? I have a PSP and use PSP creator and that software lets me load any DVD's I want. Does the itouch prevent copyrighted material being put on it? Do you have to buy the videos just from itunes?

Thanks again

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Use Handbrake to Rip At A Lower Bit Rate To Save Valuable Touch RAM

Now that people have Touches, can anyone tell me if MPEG-4 videos up to 720x400 will work on the touch.
Depends on the bit rate as well, not just the dimensions.
My question is can you load pre-recorded DVD on the Itouch? Also do you have to use itunes to do it? I have a PSP and use PSP creator and that software lets me load any DVD's I want. Does the itouch prevent copyrighted material being put on it? Do you have to buy the videos just from itunes?
No but you have to rip the video from the DVDs into mp4 with a tool like Handbrake to insure iPod compatibility.
Apple lists 640 by 480. Others may work, but nobody will probably know until it has shipped and people have tried it out. It also depends on bitrate and other settings.
Zactly. That rate used to be 2500kbps but anything over 1000kbps is overkill and you won't really see it at all - only waste valuable limited RAM space on the Touch.
Visual Hub's High quality setting for the iPod Touch outputs video at 720 x 400.
bit rate must still be lower than a certain maximum which used to be 2500kbps for G5 Video iPods.

I use 2 pass 1000kbs @ 624x352 for HD and 800kbps @ 544 x 400 for SD but I'm encoding so they look decent on a 40" HDTV as well. If you encode exclusively for the Touch you could go with much lower bit rates and dimensions and put a lot more video on there. Even lower bit rates for the nano. Smaller the screen, the lower the bit rate will still look good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.