Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wolfpackfan

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 10, 2007
Cary, NC
Well I finally bit the bullet and ordered a 4GB iPhone. With Wednesday announcements I had plans to buy the Touch, but when they put the 4GB on clearance at $299 it was just too good a price to pass. I've known all along an iPhone is in my future as my entire family wants to switch to AT&T. We've had a lot of trouble with Sprint lately and just ready to try a different service. Unfortunately I still have a little over a year left on my contract which has four lines. I can drop my sons line in January and he can do whatever he wants and can do the same with daughter next June. But wife and I still have over a year. So here is the thing - can I delay activating my iPhone with AT&T and just use the non-phone parts now? I think I've seen various posts about this - but can't seem to find them now. If I can do this thru hook or crook I want to make sure I can activate later on. If this is a no-go, it's not a big deal, I'll just go ahead and activate then take my cheapest Sprint line, remove the data services and insurance and just not use that phone. Thanks for any help.

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
Well I finally bit the bullet and ordered a 4GB iPhone. With Wednesday announcements I had plans to buy the Touch, but when they put the 4GB on clearance at $299 it was just too good a price to pass. I've known all along an iPhone is in my future as my entire family wants to switch to AT&T. We've had a lot of trouble with Sprint lately and just ready to try a different service. Unfortunately I still have a little over a year left on my contract which has four lines. I can drop my sons line in January and he can do whatever he wants and can do the same with daughter next June. But wife and I still have over a year. So here is the thing - can I delay activating my iPhone with AT&T and just use the non-phone parts now? I think I've seen various posts about this - but can't seem to find them now. If I can do this thru hook or crook I want to make sure I can activate later on. If this is a no-go, it's not a big deal, I'll just go ahead and activate then take my cheapest Sprint line, remove the data services and insurance and just not use that phone. Thanks for any help.

I wouldnt, i would just wait, thats just me though. If you do go for it, you might just have to restore, i dont know much about it, i just know that i wouldnt.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Think about it in terms of any cancelation fees I do not know of Sprints fees, but If your cancelation fee is less then half the cost of what you would pay for the sprint service, you could just cancel and activate your iPhone. I don' think that you would be too happy if you didn't have the other features.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Do yourself a BIG favor and return the iPhone. It's just not your time yet. The iPhone will continue to get better and cheaper. Wait until Jan and buy again. The 4GB iPhone is really worth having anyway when you consider that is all the memory you have for music, video, the phone's OS and internal apps AND any external apps that will roll out. I have an 8GB and already feel crampt. The minute a 16GB 3G ships I'm there.

Go get a 8GB Touch and have fun with that until Jan. You'll be able to eBay your Touch in Jan for a good price if you don't need it once you get your iPhone.

jshbckr

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
If I were you, I'd return the iPhone. If you aren't going to be using it, there is no sense in owning it. By the time you'll be able to use it (a little over a year, you said?) there will most likely be 16GB iPhones for probably the same price as the 8GB right now.

mongoose8p

macrumors regular
May 15, 2007
Chicago
these guys are dumb just use iNdependence i just did this
intructions
plug into computer let itunes boot then quit out of itunes
go to activity monitor and quit itunes helper
open iNdependence
jailbreak iphone
then use the option "Put PEM File"
Then Generate activation
quit out reopen iNdependence
then activate sometimes you have to do it a couple of times
there u go u can use all the features from now on if u need tech help head on over to hackint0sh.org because they discuss all of this

rowath

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2007
I'd Wait

There's ways to do it, but if you don't plan on activating it for about a year, I'd listen to some of these guys' advice and just wait. A year from now, you'll probably be able to get a phone with more memory and maybe 3G for the same price. :eek:

VoodooDaddy

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2003
If you want to use the phone as an ipod touch now, but are afraid of using alternate methods of activating for fear of it not activating in the future, you have 2 options as I see it.

1) sign up for a new ATT contract then cancel within the time frame.

2) sign up for a gophone plan for a month, then cancel that after 30 days since there are no contracts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.