Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Sep 7, 2007, 07:17 PM   #1
shi2koi
macrumors newbie

Connect Macbook Pro to TV

I bought a DVI to HDMI cable and connected my MacBook Pro to my newly purchased Sony Bravia 32 inch HDTV (720p). The desktop background shows up nicely, but all icons and such are nowhere to be found. Any open windows, applications, and such show up on the MacBook Pro screen, but not on the TV.

Can anyone tell me what is wrong?
shi2koi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2007, 07:45 PM   #2
Habakuk
macrumors 6502a

Nothing wrong with it. By now you can move a window or something to the TV by leaving the notebook's display boarder at the right side with the cursor. There should be a monitor icon in the menu bar (if not open system preferences - display). Click on it and you will find all possible settings. It is possible to clone or span the desktop or move the menu bar or have the TV 90 degrees tilt (upright).

Last edited by Habakuk; Sep 7, 2007 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Typo
Habakuk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2007, 07:47 PM   #3
balamw

You're spanning. The TV is an extension of your desktop.

You can make it your primary display and move teh dock/etc... to it with the Display tool in System Preferences.

B
Old Sep 7, 2007, 11:27 PM   #4
shi2koi
macrumors newbie

That's it. Thanks for the assistance.
shi2koi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2007, 03:34 PM   #5
csivegas
macrumors newbie

Could someone expand on the display for me. I hooked a friendís Mac book Pro to a projector and the display was as described here, it was an extension of the desktop. We could drag items to the right of the desktop image and they would go up on the screen. So we went into the preferences and display. There were three tabs, Display, Arrangements, Color. We then went into arrangements and found the mirror image box and check marked it. So then what we were seeing on the desk top was what we were seeing on the projector. Then once we disconnected the VGA cable my friend said the desktop images were stretched a little. We went back to preferences to uncheck the mirror box and the arrangement tab disappeared. Could someone explain this to me? Iím not much of a Mac person.
csivegas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2007, 02:31 AM   #6
Habakuk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by csivegas View Post
Could someone expand on the display for me. I hooked a friend’s Mac book Pro to a projector and the display was as described here, it was an extension of the desktop. We could drag items to the right of the desktop image and they would go up on the screen. So we went into the preferences and display. There were three tabs, Display, Arrangements, Color. We then went into arrangements and found the mirror image box and check marked it. So then what we were seeing on the desk top was what we were seeing on the projector.
Everything is so as it should be. You did a cloning of the desktop.

Quote:
Then once we disconnected the VGA cable my friend said the desktop images were stretched a little.
...at the notbook display. If you clone the desktop both displays change to the resolution of the weakest device. Here it is the projector I guess. The MPB's display doesn't really look good then. When you disconnect the cable the MBP should change it's resolution automatically to the best (original) one. If not you'll have to change it manually in the System Preferences - Display.

Quote:
We went back to preferences to uncheck the mirror box and the arrangement tab disappeared. Could someone explain this to me? I’m not much of a Mac person.
The tab is only apparent when an external display is connected. There is nothing to arrange when there is no second device.
Old Sep 24, 2007, 04:35 AM   #7
ST8D
macrumors newbie

No color or sound on TV

When I connect my Macbook Pro to my Sony Bravia TV, the image on the TV is only in black and white and the sound doesn't transfer from the computer. I am using the connection from the computer that splits into the Red/Yellow/white connectors for the TV. Any suggestions to get color and sound on the TV? Thanks.
ST8D is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2007, 06:16 AM   #8
NicP
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST8D View Post
When I connect my Macbook Pro to my Sony Bravia TV, the image on the TV is only in black and white and the sound doesn't transfer from the computer. I am using the connection from the computer that splits into the Red/Yellow/white connectors for the TV. Any suggestions to get color and sound on the TV? Thanks.
Which cable are you using exactly? I don't know of any single cable from the computer that will split into red/yellow/white
NicP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2007, 08:42 AM   #9
balamw

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicP View Post
Which cable are you using exactly? I don't know of any single cable from the computer that will split into red/yellow/white
Sounds like Composite, but you're right. You need two cables to do that. One for the yellow and red and white from the headphone jack.

ST8D, are you perhaps outputting NTSC to a PAL TV or vice-versa?

B
Old Sep 29, 2007, 08:59 AM   #10
jonnylink
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by balamw View Post
Sounds like Composite, but you're right. You need two cables to do that. One for the yellow and red and white from the headphone jack.

ST8D, are you perhaps outputting NTSC to a PAL TV or vice-versa?

B
in another thread someone is considering using this cable which is probably the type of thing the original poster is using
jonnylink is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2007, 11:22 AM   #11
balamw

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnylink View Post
in another thread someone is considering using this cable which is probably the type of thing the original poster is using
ST8D certainly wasn't looking for that cable since he describes yellow red and white plugs.

Note that the DVI-> HDMI solution you linked to still won't carry video and audio on one cable.

B
Old Sep 29, 2007, 05:51 PM   #12
jonnylink
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by balamw View Post
ST8D certainly wasn't looking for that cable since he describes yellow red and white plugs.

Note that the DVI-> HDMI solution you linked to still won't carry video and audio on one cable.

B
Yikes, I have to read more carefully. I totally misread the question. And you are right, about the audio. Another person had picked that cable. Looks like a "monster cable" version would work for audio and video, no?

Still doesn't apply to the post I was trying to apply it to though... which only the poster could have answered anyway.
jonnylink is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2007, 06:11 PM   #13
balamw

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnylink View Post
Looks like a "monster cable" version would work for audio and video, no?
Nah. There's no audio on the DVI connector, so if you convert that to HDMI you still need audio from somewhere...

B
Old Dec 23, 2007, 06:57 PM   #14
Everingham.Curt
macrumors newbie

will a DVI to composite video cable work for connecting a macbook pro to a TV? (my TV has YPbPr-type composite video input)
Everingham.Curt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2011, 10:54 AM   #15
obes469
macrumors newbie

Mini dvi to hdmi

hey can someone give me the link to a site where I can get Mini DVI to HDMI? I accidentally bought a Mini DVI to HDMI to a macbook...which is larger port then a macbook pro haha. I would love to buy another just would like a trusted site.
obes469 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help