Originally Posted by Me1000 View Post
How do I remove a ringtone from iTunes?

I added by renaming it to a m4r file...

I keep getting an error in itunes every time I sync,
update to 7.4.1
Old Sep 8, 2007, 12:01 AM   #3
jt2ga65
macrumors regular

What happens it you delete the file from the computer?

-jt2
jt2ga65 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2007, 01:26 AM   #4
The General
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by drater View Post
update to 7.4.1
In 7.4.1 they still show up, but when you sync it says that they cannot be copied to the iPhone because they are unable to be played on the iPhone.

You need to go to your iTunes Library directory and delete the ringtones out of the Ringtones directory.
The General is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2007, 05:54 AM   #5
hkbeejay
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The General View Post
In 7.4.1 they still show up, but when you sync it says that they cannot be copied to the iPhone because they are unable to be played on the iPhone.

You need to go to your iTunes Library directory and delete the ringtones out of the Ringtones directory.
Could you point me there please? I can't find it in my iTunes music folder. I have Win Vista. Under user>Music>iTunes>iTunes Music, there are the folders for the songs but not the ringtones. I upgraded to 7.4.1 and am stuck having these ringtones that cannot sync. Thanks!
hkbeejay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2007, 09:05 AM   #6
Me1000
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by The General View Post

I have deleted the files (the whole ringtones directory) but they still show up in iTunes.

There has to be something in the XML files or something, but I have looked already and found nothing.
Me1000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2007, 09:32 AM   #7
mobilehavoc
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me1000 View Post
I have deleted the files (the whole ringtones directory) but they still show up in iTunes.

There has to be something in the XML files or something, but I have looked already and found nothing.
It's part of the iTunes Library.itl file which you can't edit (at least I don't know how). The only way I did it was to take an older iTunes Library.itl and overwrite the current one...luckily iTunes had created a backup from a few days ago so it all worked out.

I think once they officially launch ringtones there'll be a way to manage your ringtone library.
mobilehavoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2007, 03:25 PM   #8
gunst
macrumors newbie

Rebuild the itunes Library

I had the same issue - I followed the following instructions and it worked beautifully.

First I deleted the .m4r file(s) in the ringtones folder of itunes. Then I rebuilt the library following these instructions: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93313

Follow these steps:

1. Quit iTunes.
2. Locate your iTunes folder.
* For Mac OS X the iTunes folder is stored in one of the following locations:

/Users/username/Music

* For Microsoft Windows XP and 2000 the iTunes folder is stored in

\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\My Music\

* For Microsoft Windows Vista the iTunes folder is stored in

\Users\username\Music\

3. Open your iTunes folder.
4. Drag the iTunes Music Library.xml to the Desktop
5. Drag the following file from your iTunes folder to the Trash:

* Mac OS X: "iTunes Library" (in versions of iTunes prior to 4.9 this was called "iTunes 4 Music Library").
* Microsoft Windows: "iTunes Library.itl" (in versions of iTunes prior to 4.9 this was called "iTunes 4 Music Library.itl")
6. Open iTunes.
7. From the File menu, choose Import.

Tip: Do not add any music into iTunes at this point.
8. Navigate to the iTunes Music Library.xml file on the Desktop.
9. Mac users: Click Choose.
Windows users: Click Open.

After re-creating your library, any devices that you sync with iTunes (Apple TV, iPod, etc) will see your iTunes library as a new library and will completely resync."
gunst is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2010, 11:53 PM   #9
Petronas
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunst View Post
After re-creating your library, any devices that you sync with iTunes (Apple TV, iPod, etc) will see your iTunes library as a new library and will completely resync."
Bringing an old thread back up -

What does the above mean? Will the custom ringtones on my phone be wiped from my phone or will they be copied back into iTunes?
Petronas is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone