Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Sep 8, 2007, 10:07 AM   #1
Optimus
macrumors newbie

New iPod's from Japan, will they work in Europe?

Hi,

I'll be traveling to Osaka, Japan in a few months time and I was wondering about buying an iPod there.

I haven't decided yet on will I be buying and 6G iPod classic or the iPod Touch. But will I be able to switch the user interface language to English from the native Japan from an iPod I buy from there?

I believe the Wi-Fi will work with no problems in Europe, because we use the same 802.11g standard in Wi-Fi networks.

The new iPod's I'm looking at are over 20% cheaper there than they are here in Europe so on the price side it seems to be a good buy.

What are the things I should consider before buying one from Japan and using it in Europe? Some warranty related issues maybe? User interface?

Thanks for all the pointers and tips.

Have become an Apple nut after I switched from a long series of different PC's to a MacBook Pro 2.2GHz this summer.
Optimus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2007, 10:29 AM   #2
TranceNW
macrumors regular

Well the main issue will be getting it back through customs, just hope your not searched. They will tax you.

Other than that, everything else will work fine i should think.

EDIT: Im not sure what customs are like in Finland?
TranceNW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2007, 11:12 AM   #3
Optimus
macrumors newbie

The customs here are pretty tight, but they are mostly looking for things like alcohol, tobacco and drugs. So having a new iPod in my pocked isn't going to be problem I Hope. Still for 20 to 30% off I'm willing to take that risk.

So basically the 1 year warranty will cover it in Finland as it would anywhere else? This is my biggest concern at the moment I think. The user interface should be multi language and so I can switch it to English.
Old Sep 8, 2007, 01:39 PM   #4
Matteh117
macrumors regular

As long as it's not the box, they have no way of knowing you bought it there - no problem with customs.

The first screen you get on the iPod is a language select (saw it in one of the videos or the keynote.. can't remember which) and I *think* it's a worldwide warranty.
Matteh117 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2007, 01:57 PM   #5
Optimus
macrumors newbie

Great. I can go in and get it the first day I'm there. Charge it and upload some free podcast content in it so it doesn't have a brad new feel to it if the nice officers in customs happen to have any questions.

Now the only thing I have to decide is will get the iPod Touch in November when I go there or am I going to wait for the iPhone to go on sale in Finland. But that's probably going to be in 1Q of 2008 here in Finland.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 04:34 AM   #6
iCantwait
macrumors 65816

yeah i know a guy who bought 2 (RED) nanos b4 they came out in australia he smashed 1 up and they got him a free replacement from overseas
Old Sep 9, 2007, 12:48 PM   #7
Optimus
macrumors newbie

I actually decided to go with the 80Gb iPod Classic. Hearing the rumors about the iPhone's European version having 16Gb flash and 3G is going to motivate me to wait until next year for that.

I need a replacement for both my old Creative MP3 player and my Moto V3 razr so I'm going to get the MP3 side updated sooner and get the iPhone next year.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod