Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
endgadget said:
Movie rentals could be coming to the iTunes Store, if an apparent slip-up by Apple is any indication. Mac developer David Watanabe uploaded a screenshot depicting an iTunes problem reporting system which has options for requesting a refund due to non-delivery of rental movies. The other options for reporting issues with the as yet unannounced -- but rumored -- rental movie options on the iTunes Store include accidental purchase, poor content quality, duplicate purchase, wrong version, bad metadata, and "other." The same possible complaints are available for every other content type on iTunes. We verified that these options are still viewable on a US iTunes Store account: see for yourself by viewing your account purchase history, clicking report problem, and then clicking on an individual purchase.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
iTunes Movie Rentals Coming?

David Watanabe posted a screenshot to Flickr which reveals that Apple may be working on Movie Rentals in iTunes.

He was reporting a problem in iTunes and the pop-up menu listed a number of possible problems. These included

DidNotReceiveMovie-RentalMovie
AccidentalPurchase-RentalMovie
ContentQuality-RentalMovie
DuplicatePurchase-RentalMovie
WrongVErsion-RentalMovie
BadMetadata-RentalMovie
Other-RentalMovie

Apple has been rumored to be in talks with Hollywood studios about launching an online movie rental service. The rumored price was $2.99 for a 30 day rental and would allow films to be moved to at least one other device -- such as the iPod or iPhone.

The target launch for the service was this fall.

Article Link

Retired
May 16, 2006
If you could rent these while using the AppleTV with the iTunesWiFiStore it would be fantastic...

theheadguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
california
Man Apple are on their toes.This snafu has been removed from iTunes also.
I'd have to say Apple is not on their toes. Leak after leak are proving accurate. (Although this is a programming slip-up, it still goes with the flow of less real surprises)

Thanatoast

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2002
Denver
This would kick ass. I'd definitely be down for rentals on iTunes. Blockbuster, Hollywood and Netflix better watch out.

Now all Apple needs to do is work on selection. There's no reason at all they shouldn't have a ginormous catalog.

sbarton

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2001
This is great, although I hope they come out with a rental option for TV shows also. Drop the price to .99 for a 3 month unlimited viewing for tv shows and it gets real interesting.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
If the choice was wide instead of solely Hollywood guff, I would never rent another DVD again... pity that Universal seem to be in a tizz with Apple.

whatever

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2001
South of Boston, MA
It would be great if Apple introduced this as a feature of Apple TV (one of the best products that Apple came out with this year!).

Apple already included the iTunes Store login as an option for the Apple TV, so this makes sense.

Can you imagine a download movie rental system using Apple TV! That would be awesome. All they would have to do is make it 1080p (software) and Dolby Digital and then BluRay and HD-DVD would have some real problems. People would skip that generation of "hard" media and move to digital!

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
This is great, although I hope they come out with a rental option for TV shows also. Drop the price to .99 for a 3 month unlimited viewing for tv shows and it gets real interesting.

Ahhh... people already complaining about the price and it has not even shipped yet. (Maybe apple will give us a rebate is we cry enough!)

This price is FAIR unless one wants to do the math on netflix like subscriptions.

Then again they are not the same market. If apple does this I don't see myself using it much (unless HDTV quality is included) since I use Netflix and can wait a couple of days for a movie and can keep in as long as I want.

Now if apple does HD movies I am buying an apple tv since it will be a whole lot cheaper then buying blueray AND a hd dvd players...

sbarton

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2001
Ahhh... people already complaining about the price and it has not even shipped yet. (Maybe apple will give us a rebate is we cry enough!)

This price is FAIR unless one wants to do the math on netflix like subscriptions.

Then again they are not the same market. If apple does this I don't see myself using it much (unless HDTV quality is included) since I use Netflix and can wait a couple of days for a movie and can keep in as long as I want.

Now if apple does HD movies I am buying an apple tv since it will be a whole lot cheaper then buying blueray AND a hd dvd players...

Not sure what about my comment makes you think it was a complaint? Maybe you missed that idea that most of my post was referring to "tv shows"?

JGF0x

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2007
Finally... soon maybe. Xbox Live already has it but Apple offers the iPod mobility factor which would make this a pretty sweet deal. :apple: FTW!

sir42

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2003
NY, NY
Can you imagine a download movie rental system using Apple TV! That would be awesome. All they would have to do is make it 1080p (software) and Dolby Digital and then BluRay and HD-DVD would have some real problems. People would skip that generation of "hard" media and move to digital!

I agree. Apple has a real opportunity here to put an end to the format wars. Downloadable HD movie rentals is only a matter of time anyway. And it's the killer ap for Apple TV.

Just imagine you're spending a day in the park when you decide you want to watch True Lies when you get home. You just whip out your iPhone and program your Apple TV to start downloading the movie. When you get home, you fire up your Apple TV and start watching in 1080p. No more DVDs, HD-DVDs, Blu-Ray, Netflix or Blockbuster. In one swoop could come right out and be a real game changer.

Darkroom

Dec 15, 2006
Montréal, Canada
i confess that i am a serial torrent downloader... but if i could rent movie thru iTunes for $2.99, there's a good chance that my torrent days would end... it's not so much that i want it for free, it's more that i just don't want to have to leave my cozy apartment, get in my car, drive to the video store in the rain, search for a movie i can't find, etc...

sure, there already are services for movie rentals online... but i don't like them...

X86BSD

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2002
Kansas, USA
It would be GREAT if..

They made them DVD resolution or higher and offered plans just like netflix and the others. Like $29.99/mo for 5 movies at a time unlimited rentals per month. That would be reallllllly great.

X

carfac

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
Until Apple gets this up to a realistic resolution (DVD or better), its a non starter with me. I do not care what the show or movie, if it looks like ****, I could care less.

FWIW, I have bought 5-10 songs EVER on iTunes- and those were free from Pepsi Bottle caps... and that is entirely due to iTunes piss-poor bit rate there, too. All my music is Apple Lossless.

The argument could be made that maybe you cannot hear the difference between 128 rate and apple lossless, and I admit the difference is not much. The new DRM-less is better (but I consider both formats low-res, and thus overpriced at 99 and 1.29)

But TV shows at the current rez most definitely show the poor res, especially on bigger TVs.

Get them up to a good rez, then we can start talking. Otherwise, its only good for an iPod, not the living room.

Curtis72

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2007
Heck ya...

This is what I've been waiting for in :apple:TV. I won't even consider getting one until this happens.

I was hoping some :apple: TV needs woould be released last Wednesday. I want to put my apple:TV to more use then it is now (only using for music, podcast, YouTube viewing which overall is lame).

fastbite

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2007
London
Regardless of the resolution rentals would be a killer step, decisive game move that would scare the hell out of the competition, simply because the millions of iPod touch that are going to sell -- and with such a fantastic screen the temptation to rent one or two or a hundred flicks is going to be difficult to resist.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
That would be really really great. Because people ususally don't want to own movies in contrast to music. I watch a movie once. THats it. I listen to my music sometimes a hundred times.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.