Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

An updated step-by-step to use your own Ringtones in iTunes 7.4.1 (thanks JPyre)

1 Rename aac file to .m4r using Get Info (command+I)
2 Double click file to open in itunes
3 Close itunes
4 Goto username/music/itunes/itunes music/ringtones
5 Rename .m4r to .m4a again using Get Info
6 Sync phone

Done, simple, works everytime, 100% consistent. Make sure you name them the way you want, as you cannot remove ringtones (from the iTunes list) once they've been added.

Article Link

iomar

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
Wow, this is great! I will try it right now! Now Apple is working on iTunes 7.4.2. I was looking forward to Apples updates before but now they are updating so frequently that I am worried that they are not testing these softwares before they are releasing them and we are doing the testing for them.

Zeeliv

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2007
When I do this, I get the error saying they cannot be found. I've tried a bunch of different ways from the original thread. Not sure why it works for everyone else but not me :(

JPyre

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2005
Pistolvania
When I do this, I get the error saying they cannot be found. I've tried a bunch of different ways from the original thread. Not sure why it works for everyone else but not me :(

1) Are you sure you are renaming the file extension in the "get Info" / "Properties" dialouge and not just normally?

2) Are you selecting ringtones that are actually there? I have several tones that don't exist, yet still show up in iTunes.

BTW all thanks goes to saaber joemaller.com and rwross

Zeeliv

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2007
1) Are you sure you are renaming the file extension in the "get Info" / "Properties" dialouge and not just normally?

2) Are you selecting ringtones that are actually there? I have several tones that don't exist, yet still show up in iTunes.

BTW all thanks goes to saaber joemaller.com and rwross

1. Completely positive. I always have file extensions shown, the icon changed, I've double checked within properties... changing filetypes is not something new or foreign to me.

2. From the different tries I now have 2 sets shown in itunes, but only set 1 within the Ringtones folder (as I deleted the first set when it didn't work, and I started the entire process over). So it's understandable that the first set wouldn't be found as the genuinely aren't there, but the new set it should find according to everyone elses results. I can actually change them back to m4r and get the other error (file type is not supported by the iphone) even, so it knows they're there.

Sean7512

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2005
Works great! I hope that we can eventually figure out how to delete those items off of the list, as I messed up on one, and so it is double listed.

JPyre

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2005
Pistolvania
1. Completely positive. I always have file extensions shown, the icon changed, I've double checked within properties... changing filetypes is not something new or foreign to me.

2. From the different tries I now have 2 sets shown in itunes, but only set 1 within the Ringtones folder (as I deleted the first set when it didn't work, and I started the entire process over). So it's understandable that the first set wouldn't be found as the genuinely aren't there, but the new set it should find according to everyone elses results. I can actually change them back to m4r and get the other error (file type is not supported by the iphone) even, so it knows they're there.

Well, there goes my 100% down the drain arn ;)

You're using Windows? Can anyone else verify Win support, or lack thereof, for this method? I really don't want to SwapTunes and fire up VPC just to check...

Zeeliv

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2007
I am indeed using windows (XP). Is anyone else using windows that did get it to work?

JPyre

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2005
Pistolvania
Works great! I hope that we can eventually figure out how to delete those items off of the list, as I messed up on one, and so it is double listed.

To get rid of the "phantom" tones that still appear in ringtones tab after you delete them, go here it involves deleting the library's directory list and re-adding (not importing) your music folder. This should not affect artwork, but will delete playlists, so back them up too.

malenfant

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2006
This process may not work if the bitrate of your M4R/M4A file is too high. I recommend not using higher than 128 kbps.

bbthechange

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2007
Hmm

I Renamed my aac file to .m4r using Get Info, and the icon changed. I double clicked it to open it in itunes. I closed iTunes. I went to username/music/itunes/itunes music/, and there was no ringtones folder. I tried it with protected and unprotected files of varying lengths. All had a bitrate of 128 kbps.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Sean7512

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2005
To get rid of the "phantom" tones that still appear in ringtones tab after you delete them, go here it involves deleting the library's directory list and re-adding (not importing) your music folder. This should not affect artwork, but will delete playlists, so back them up too.

Hmm, it bothers me but not the the point where I want to deal with re doing my playlists and re-syncing my ipods, iphone, and apple tv. I'll just leave it, oh well. I was thinking maybe once the "Ringtone" part of the iTunes Library is unlocked next week that maybe we can delete these phantom files, so I'll just wait.

voidptr

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2007
It took me a couple tries to make this work in 7.4.1 on my Mac..

1) Make sure the tag info isn't the same as another song in the library. If it's already in iTunes, shorten the title, remove the track # data, and drag a copy out. Delete the iTunes copy.
2) Put it in the iTunes Music/Ringtones folder. Create folder if needed.
3) Uncheck both "Keep my Music Folder Organized" and "Copy files to iTunes Music Library when adding to library" in preferences. Otherwise it'll rename the file to .m4a and move it into the real library
4) Add it to iTunes from the Ringtones folder
5) Rename the extension to m4a.

Now it should show up and sync. If I didn't do the above steps, it would either get lost on import or moved into the normal music collection.

Gundampilotspaz

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2006
I just updated itunes in Windows and the custom ringtone I made yesterday is still in my phone after I sync it.

Gundampilotspaz

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2006
Nope, they broke it in the windows version at least. After trying a few times I can't get new ringtones on and it removed the one I had made before.

bignumbers

macrumors regular
May 9, 2002
This just strikes me as lame by Apple.

I spent some quality time making ringtones yesterday (legally, using music I'd written and some royalty-free stuff). Now Apple wants so take them away.

I'm going to hold off upgrading iTunes from 7.4 until the dust settles.

bravedeer

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2006
Will you guys...

stop releasing this so publicly so that they stop these 7.4.x updates? You know we'll be seeing a 7.4.2 on monday. #*(!@

Zeeliv

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2007
Those that are having trouble with this are using Windows it seems, so why recommend iToner? We can't use it.

Nutzoids

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2003
Philly
Attn: All Windows Users

Majorgeeks.com still has the 7.4.0.28 iTunes for download!

I have yet to test it, but all Initial reports say it works...

Updates to come!

:apple:

iSaint

macrumors 603
I finally was able to get it to work on my G4 Powerbook.

1. Find eligible AAC music file in iTunes.
  2. Drag to Desktop.
  3. Rename as *.m4r
  4. Create folder Ringtones in iTunes Music folder
  5. Drag file from desktop to Ringtones Folder
  6. Double Click (whether iTunes is open or not)
  7. The file should NOT play in iTunes
  8. Go back to Ringtones folder and rename song as *.m4a

Two of the seven files I converted didn't work. I'll retry to see what happens.

I'm sure this will be corrected by Apple soon! ;)

XDerkaX

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2007
Can anyone tell me why I don't even see a ringtones option on the left of Itunes in 7.4.1? Is there an option I have to enable? thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.