Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Sep 8, 2007, 01:43 PM   #1
mcdj
macrumors 604

Classic = no Tetris. :(

Just got a black 160GB. (Apple Soho, NYC if anyone's curious). The copy of Tetris I bought for my 30GB video doesn't show up in the list of sync-able games for the Classic. Hopefully this will be addressed in some way. Hopefully it's not a planned byproduct of Apple's seemingly increasing appetite for cash money.
Old Sep 8, 2007, 01:55 PM   #2
motulist
macrumors 68040

It's got nothing to do with greed. The new iPod classic, while appearing to be almost the same device on the outside, is actually made of totally different hardware using a totally different operating system. So it's like trying to use a PowerPC Mac OS 9 program on an Intel chip running OS X - it's not possible without a software emulator of the old hardware. And that isn't technologically feasible, and the need for it is very slight. Your best hope is that when tetris gets rewritten for the new iPods that they let owners of the previous generation DL it for free.
motulist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2007, 02:24 PM   #3
davekarn
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to davekarn
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdj View Post
Just got a black 160GB. (Apple Soho, NYC if anyone's curious). The copy of Tetris I bought for my 30GB video doesn't show up in the list of sync-able games for the Classic. Hopefully this will be addressed in some way. Hopefully it's not a planned byproduct of Apple's seemingly increasing appetite for cash money.
I know Jobs said that 3 games came on the new Nano, but do any come on the Classic? Mine is shipping its way over here right now and was just curious...thanks!
davekarn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2007, 02:33 PM   #4
reubs
macrumors 68000

I'm thinking the lack of games working from previous generations on the new Classic would be a kick in the pants. I'm thinking that might be akin to not allowing the music or videos bought on iTunes previously to be playable on new iPod. If it's bought from iTunes, it should be playable on newer devices...or I would think.
reubs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2007, 02:37 PM   #5
mcdj
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekarn View Post
do any come on the Classic?
Yep. Klondike, Vortex and iQuiz or whatever it's called. Can't check now...in the middle of biggest sync in my iPod loving life!
Old Sep 8, 2007, 08:12 PM   #6
PygmySurfer
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by motulist View Post
The new iPod classic, while appearing to be almost the same device on the outside, is actually made of totally different hardware using a totally different operating system.
Got any proof of this? I haven't seen anything to indicate the new iPods are using different hardware yet (except the iPod touch, obviously). My guess is they're using a revised version of the Samsung System-On-Chip that was in the Second Gen iPod nano.
PygmySurfer is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod