Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 8, 2007, 05:02 PM   #1
Akira1980
macrumors 6502

using Gmail: alway sending a copy?

I have a Gmail set up in my iPhone. But for some reason when ever I send a email using the Gmail account, it sends a copy to my self. How do I turn this off? I checked both phone setting and gmail setting on the net and there are no option to turn off this setting.

P.S - it only happend with Gmail. My .mac account is working fine.

Last edited by Akira1980; Sep 8, 2007 at 05:10 PM.
Akira1980 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2007, 05:08 PM   #2
VoodooDaddy
macrumors 65816

I had this same problem on my Blackberry, I just learned to live with it. But I just found out today that there is some way to delete sent mail immediately after sending which will stop this from happening. Looking through gmail settings though, I dont see where its at.

edit - Looks like you have to make a filter inside gmail to delete messages from yourself.
VoodooDaddy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2007, 05:09 PM   #3
gollum
macrumors regular

Mine is doing the same thing, whenever I send an email from my laptop, a copy of the sent email shows up on my iPhone.
gollum is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2007, 05:26 PM   #4
jshbckr
macrumors 6502

It's because of how Gmail threads "conversations."

Gmail's system auto sends your e-mail back to you, but their online mail client makes this invisible, until the person responds to you. That's why it will say "John, me." You can see both your sent e-mail and the reply in your inbox, threaded together into one item.

The iPhone doesn't thread the conversations like this, so you see both your message and the person's repsonse as a individual e-mails.
jshbckr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2007, 08:26 PM   #5
infamous
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to infamous
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshbckr View Post
It's because of how Gmail threads "conversations."

Gmail's system auto sends your e-mail back to you, but their online mail client makes this invisible, until the person responds to you. That's why it will say "John, me." You can see both your sent e-mail and the reply in your inbox, threaded together into one item.

The iPhone doesn't thread the conversations like this, so you see both your message and the person's repsonse as a individual e-mails.
yup, oh well, i just live with it.
Old Sep 8, 2007, 11:16 PM   #6
Racktacular
macrumors regular

Obviously I'm an idiot, but can someone explain to me how you are using GMail. When I use gmail, I just go to their website and use it like I normally would on my Macbook. Are some of you guys using a mobile GMail version or POP service to obtain your e-mails? I'm not a business person so I'm certainly not up on all the ways to get e-mails. Can someone enlighten me?

TIA!

- Rack
Racktacular is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2007, 01:16 AM   #7
Akira1980
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racktacular View Post
Obviously I'm an idiot, but can someone explain to me how you are using GMail. When I use gmail, I just go to their website and use it like I normally would on my Macbook. Are some of you guys using a mobile GMail version or POP service to obtain your e-mails? I'm not a business person so I'm certainly not up on all the ways to get e-mails. Can someone enlighten me?

TIA!

- Rack
First, go log into your gmail with your macbook and go to the settings. And enable the pop mail. Then go to your iPhone email setting and go to "add new account." Insert all the info and you will now get gmail on your iPhone.
Akira1980 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone