Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lcdbot27

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2007
Hi, first post here, but long long long time reader.

I picked up a 160 GB iPod Classic today to replace my aging 30 GB iPod Photo. I expected to be amazed by the new interface. Instead, there seems to be quite a few issues.
- It's slow and glitchy. Just running my finger over the scroll wheel takes a few seconds to even register, and the list sometimes jumps up or down many rows without warning. Same thing with pressing buttons such as Menu to return back, there is a half second lag.
- The split view with the Ken Burns effect lags quite a bit. I wish there was a way to turn it off. It looks pretty but gets annoying and a bit obtrusive fairly quickly.
- If you sync a folder with nested folders from your iTunes, the folders do not show up in Alphabetical order on the iPod. So if I had a Playlist folder called "Artists I Love", with folders inside for "Beck" "Radiohead" and "Weezer", Weezer shows up before Beck and Radiohead. Seems like a bug. Then again, I don't even know if the last generation iPods let you even have nested folders.
- If you only have one album by a particular artist, clicking on their name just brings up a list of songs.
- The BIG one for me. For some unknown reason, they got rid of the "Compilations On/Off" setting in the options. If it was turned on, your artist list was cleared with artists that were only from compilations, a great way to get rid of tons of artists that only had one song on a soundtrack or comp. This feature was a big time/space saver, and to get rid of it seems completely backwards!!
- Coverflow is cool to look at, but uncustomizable. It would be cool if it showed up on the top of your playlists, so for example if you had a playlist called "Favorite Albums" you could go into Coverflow mode and pick from there. Right now it shows every album, compilation, and song on your entire iPod. Again, cool for a couple of minutes, but sort of unusable in its current form.
- If you leave the iPod playing but don't touch the screen, instead of staying on the general Song screen, it now defaults to any ugly monochromatic screen with your battery life and current time. This should be able to be turned off and on at least, and come on Apple, you spend all this time and money on a pretty new UI, and THAT screen is the best you can come up with?!?! It looks like something left over from the 1G iPods!

As much as I like the extra space, the video option, the big screen, etc. it really seems that some BASIC usability features were overlooked. I can only hope that there are software updates soon that fix these issues.

Anyone else feel the same/have more issues or bugs to discuss?

joshysquashy

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2005
UK
If what you are saying is true, this isn't good news.

The bugs will probably be fixed with an update, and perhaps a few of those features will be added. The lagging sounds like the hardware can't keep up with the software, though perhaps an update will optimize the coding.

As for the idle screen, sounds crap!!! It should at least show a minimal, un-animated version of the now playing screen. Lets hope apple refines the interface.

nouras

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2007
Auckland, New Zealand
Damn.. i thought it would be resolved with the 6G. I've been using the ipod photo since march 05 and recently started using the video (5G) a few months back. I agree, the new gen ipods (5g video in this case) interfaces are jittery compared to the silky smooth interface of the photo (and models before that). Least the touch seems relatively smooth..

iListener

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2008
Anyone else feel the same/have more issues or bugs to discuss?

I'm in complete agreement with your observations. I just bought a 160GB after owning a 80GB for a little over a year.

This new split main screen is horrible and the UI is VERY VERY slow.
I mentioned these things to tech support while working an unrelated matter and they seemed unaffected by these concerns. This is an astonishing attitude to take. If they keep this up, their seemingling invincible market share will wane. It wouldn't be the first US product to get handed to new talent.

cosmokanga2

macrumors 6502a
I just got a 3rd gen nano and have to agree, the monchromatic screen is UGLY. All it tells you is the time, if it's playing or paused and some other icon. It doesn't tell anything about the track, nothing, not even the time or artist. You have to touch the wheel to get the now playing screen up just to see what's playing. Of all the things on my iPod, that is the worst. I wish they would change it.

Time will tell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.