Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iPhoneSimFree.com is now offering their iPhone SIM unlocking software through specific retailers in Australia, Germany, Saudi Arabia and the U.S.

The U.S. retailer WirelessImports if offering the software for $99.

Gizmodo recently verified that the iPhoneSimFree solution with a video of the unlock process.
The retailer you buy the unlock from will load the unlock software directly onto your phone, which will check to see if your IMEI is "allowed" to be unlocked. If it is, the software will unlock the phone—a process which took us approximately 2 or 3 minutes, as you can see in the video.

Based on notes by the resellers, the software is actually not yet available so they are simply taking preorders.

Article Link

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
let us know how it goes.

I've been skipping by stories about this as they all seem to be "it's coming soon..." but finally got worn down and posted this one.

wake me up when it's actually shipping.

arn

ngdesign

macrumors member
May 18, 2007
Again... the "next level" Pre-order..hahahah

Did they tell you when u gonna get the real thing?

NoCleverSNForMe

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2003
let us know how it goes.

I've been skipping my stories about this as they all seem to be "it's coming soon..." but finally got worn down and posted this one.

arn

Not to sound like a cynic, but I'll believe it when I see it. The ones I've seen have been "video proofs" that are all poorly edited and are shot with low lighting in Dick Cheney's bunker or confusing sites giving deadlines that they continuously keep missing.

When someone releases software for a consumer to purchase, download, and unlock their iPhone...that will be the day the iPhone is truly unlocked.

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
let us know how it goes.

I've been skipping my stories about this as they all seem to be "it's coming soon..." but finally got worn down and posted this one.

arn
as soon as it's there i will post back -

so far : paid on the iphoneworldwideunlock site, now awaiting an login to enter my iphone details so they can add me to the back office server stuff -

update ; just got an e-mail

Hi guys,

I have had to resend this again due to more news.

iPhoneSimFree.com has launched their new website with information on the software and tutorials. We have also updated our website with this information.

We have also been named as their Top Reseller and have been mentioned on Gizmodo and Engadget.

Please note if you have purchased the software today from us that we are placing a new order so you will be serviced in a few days.

iPhoneSimFree has announced the release of their Software (Monday, 10th September 2007). They are verifying payments with us and will be releasing this as soon as this has been processed. Please understand that according to IPSF they are getting over 5000 emails per day and there is only 3 people in their company. They have assured me that they are working with a local company to help handle the increased volume of emails and orders they are receiving.

We will soon have access to their server to upload all the Data Collection details to those who have filled it in. If you haven't you will need to do this now or when you have your handset available. To get access please read through this email for links to the online form.

Please do not bombarded us with emails asking when your order will be sent and when the software is available. Its been a tiring time trying to respond to you all by email at the moment. I ask if you CAN ONLY post your questions on http://www.hackint0sh.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4492
I am monitoring this post and you will also be able to see answers to questions i get repeatedly asked.

There is a delay in responding to emails due to the sheer volume we are receiving each day.

Some answers to your questions:

1. We do not have a delivery date yet for the software. We are hoping to have a confirmed date within the next few days.
2. You will need to input your phone data for each order you have paid for through us.
3. If you do not have the phone data then you will have to input this when you have it ready. Your order cannot be sent until this is received.
4. We do have more licenses on order so you can purchase more on our website.

JPyre

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2005
Pistolvania
It is just me, arn, and nocleversn, that find the time it's taking from annoucement to actual product disturbing? I mean it's been like what, 3 weeks? I smell the foul stench of vaporware emitting from these sites.... I hope they prove me wrong, for the one time I might travel to the EU.

I bet we'll see iPhone Linux before this is out.

mfermier

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2006
I'm no lawyer, but is this not illegal for them to offer this service. I would imagine Apple or at least ATT would be getting pretty pissed at these people.

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
I'll believe that when an actual end user can do it.

IF i'm luky and get the unlock before anyone else does, (which i doubt) i will post a full youtube video from start to finish with no cuts - ps i have a tripod for my video camera too :D

JPyre

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2005
Pistolvania
I'm no lawyer, but is this not illegal for them to offer this service. I would imagine Apple or at least ATT would be getting pretty pissed at these people.

Believe it or not, cell phone locks are the only things that arent protected by DMCA DRM RIAA ACLU FCC laws. Why would they be pissed? Nobody is going to use t-mobile and at&t was never going to get the EU customers anyway.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061124-8280.html

The newest list of exemptions to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) is out, and the Register of Copyrights is recommending six exemptions this time around. If you've been hankering for the legal authority to remove Sony's rootkit or to unlock your cell phone, then this will be big news. If you were hoping for the ability to make backup copies of your legally purchased DVDs, you're (still) out of luck.

5) cell phone firmware that ties a phone to a specific wireless network

An argument against this blanket exemption...

http://www.ipodobserver.com/story/32788

Basicly it's 100% legal to unlock. But it's still up for debate if selling the unlock is legal...

RichP

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2003
Motor City
Believe it or not, cell phone locks are the only things that arent protected by DMCA DRM RIAA ACLU FCC laws. Why would they be pissed? Nobody is going to use t-mobile and at&t was never going to get the EU customers anyway.

I have to agree, T-mobile isnt exactly a "step up" from ATT (verizon may be considered one, but thats a moot point, they are CDMA)

aquanutz

macrumors regular
I have to agree, T-mobile isnt exactly a "step up" from ATT

You're right, they are leaps and bounds up from ATT. I've never had any troubles with Tmo and Cingular/ATT has always been complete garbage. Also, I'm so glad this isn't a CDMA phone, I prefer to have my calls not sound like complete trash. I hate having to use any Verizon phone because it sounds like I'm talking into a 1960's rotary phone.

NoCleverSNForMe

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2003
You're right, they are leaps and bounds up from ATT. I've never had any troubles with Tmo and Cingular/ATT has always been complete garbage. Also, I'm so glad this isn't a CDMA phone, I prefer to have my calls not sound like complete trash. I hate having to use any Verizon phone because it sounds like I'm talking into a 1960's rotary phone.

Umm...okay. Try this on for size, oh holy one: AT&T and T-Mobile have numerous deadspots in my area and do not get a single bar in my office or within a 3-mile radius of my office. Meanwhile, Sprint and Verizon get full coverage in my office, along with the underground Metrorail. I live in a suburb of Washington, DC.

Aquanutz, please realize that the world does not revolve around you. Service is a REGIONAL issue. Just because one works better in your area does not mean that the entire country must be the same way. Remember, two entire states aren't even covered in AT&T's network.

ldhilljr

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2007

Well, it's a bit of a sticky question as to whether the DMCA exemption gives any rights (or exemptions) to those third parties (e.g., IPSF or its resellers) that provide the tools to unlock the iPhone. But there would appear to be nothing wrong with the end-user (i.e., you and me) purchasing the software to unlock the iPhone.

Having said that, we're talking about the DMCA, which is a US law, and which Apple/ATT would have some difficulty enforcing in other countries. So if a non-US company sells iPhone unlocking tools, and it's not necessarily illegal for a US customer to use those tools, then Apple/ATT may have a problem.

A wholly different issue may arise if it turns out that IPSF has wrongfully acquired proprietary information from Apple or ATT that allows them to do the unlock -- in other words, if someone stole code or a database that was integral to allowing IPSF to produce its unlocking software. Most countries have legislation to prevent the theft of intellectual property. But, in this case, Apple/ATT would have to go after IPSF (wherever they are) or go after every reseller of IPSF, and prove that such a theft occurred (if it did).

If IPSF simply developed its own software to unlock the iPhone, the remedies available to Apple/ATT will be much more limited.

At a practical level, if IPSF's software actually begins being successfully sold, Apple/ATT will have a difficult time stopping the unlocking through the legal system of any country, and their best bet will probably be to try and change the way the iPhone is locked, either for future phones or through a firmware update.

Having said all this, although I love Apple and its products, I could give a hoot if they or anyone else is upset if I get my iPhone unlocked.

ldhilljr

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2007
Service is a REGIONAL issue.
Back in the day, I had Verizon service because I was all over the Northeast and used my cell phone alot. My wife had service with T-Mobile because she won something at a golf tournament. I always thought, "T-Mobile -- nice people, good rates, but I hear their coverage is lousy. My Verizon (I'm sure) kicks butt."

Then we went through a two-week period traveling down to DC and also out to the middle of Kentucky. At several points, I found myself stuck on a one-bar analog signal for Verizon, while my wife's cheap phone had 4 solid bars of digital coverage. (I could deal with this at times while on our way to DC, but rural Kentucky just irritated me).

So now I've switched to a 2-line plan with T-Mobile. It's far cheaper than my old Verizon plan, gives me a better data package, and also allows me to use GSM phones that I can swap out my SIM for an Orange UK SIM when I'm working in England. And when I call customer service, they really seem like they want to figure out how to get my service operating the way I need it to, rather than the seemingly constant fight I had with Verizon.

(Cingular was dead to me for the way they have wreaked havoc on my wife with her prior cell phone plan, and also with my in-laws' plans. I never thought I would pay to cancel a cell contract early, but Cingular became the exception to that rule.).

Now, I would have to honestly say that Verizon has, overall, better coverage in the US. But for the vast majority of places I travel (which is primarily in the Northeast), my service from T-Mobile has been just as good as Verizon, and the benefits (for me) of T-Mobile win out over Verizon hand down. But that doesn't mean T-Mobile would be the right choice for everyone.

JPyre

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2005
Pistolvania
I love it when people came up to me and said "Some kid unlocked your iPhone, but I don't know what the means"
and I tell them "You can now goto EU and use prepaid cards",
and they're like "That's it?"
and then I'm like "Yeah... I don't know why it made front page"

To anyone seriously considering using t-mobile long term, you really need to re-evaluate your iPhone purchase and get another phone.

rjwill246

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2003
USA (often) and Adelaide, OZ
You're right, they are leaps and bounds up from ATT. I've never had any troubles with Tmo and Cingular/ATT has always been complete garbage.

That is NOT everyone's experience. T-mobile reception was very poor in my last US region and Cingular was excellent so I don't think a universal panning of any ONE carrier is reasonable. ATT deserves a lot of credit for having backed the iPhone when Verizon passed on it and missed a great opportunity. I would hate to reward THEM for sitting on the sidelines. Despite all the fanfare about 3G, I have never got the download speeds that it purportedly can do, and EDGE hasn't been as bad as I thought... yes, it sure could be better!

I can't imagine that ATT will lose many US customers but the one thing that might have averted the need to unlock was to have eliminated the roaming tax. Automatic switching to another network with only local charges could have been worked out with ATT and foreign carriers and it is no great engineering feat to have the iPhone recognize that it is not in an ATT area and function with another carrier, as it now does, but with NO roaming tax.

In any case, the unlock was inevitable. Apple really wins with universal usage and ATT probably will lose little or nothing at all.

ozthegweat

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2007
Switzerland
At the beginning of the video it says that you have to have your iPhone activated before you start the unlocking process. So that means you can only unlock an iPhone that has already be activated with AT&T? So you have to get the contract anyway?:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.