Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

intempo808

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2007
Everytime I even mention the iPod Touch to them I get my head bitten off...

Okay, so it will be my 3rd (and probably final) iPod, but all they can say is "Apple must love people like you... wasting your money on these things"...

Grrrr it gets me so angry... It isn't as if my current iPod Nano isn't going to go to dump... Im selling it... but they just think im wasting my money... They think im really sad... :(

Whats wrong with buying an iPod Touch???

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Everytime I even mention the iPod Touch to them I get my head bitten off...

Okay, so it will be my 3rd (and probably final) iPod, but all they can say is "Apple must love people like you... wasting your money on these things"...

Grrrr it gets me so angry... It isn't as if my current iPod Nano isn't going to go to dump... Im selling it... but they just think im wasting my money... They think im really sad... :(

Whats wrong with buying an iPod Touch???

i would say its more of that they see you needing to buy the latest gizmo which for the most part is unwise spending habits. just my thoughts

dogtanian

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2007
Bournemouth, UK
Don't worry mate, it doesn't end there trust me. My other half is always giving the same rhetoric.

Are we to assume you intend to pay for the device yourself...?

iPhil

macrumors 68040
How often are you buying the iPods ? e.g. year or 18 months, etc

is the money your 'cash' ? if so .. i say:

Attachments

• buynoworwaitflowchart.gif
    buynoworwaitflowchart.gif
    14.4 KB · Views: 133

Draythor

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
Exeter University, UK
I was having the same problem being as this Samsung is on it's last legs!
( It's de-evolved from a Laptop to a desktop, It's on constant AC Power. and takes a good 10 mins or so before it can be used at a normal speed)
So I was going to buy a new Lappy. But thanks to my Dad, I get to use my Sisters old lappy. Seeing as she's just had her's replaced by a brand spanking new'un free of charge due to her Dyslexia.
That plus the £200 of tax work owe me and £200 of Birthday money adds up to a new iPod touch.
As to your problems.
Tell them that you won the iPod Touch and had your wallet stolen on the same day. End this story on the old favorite.
"Well....I guess you win some, you lose some":p

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Parents... you can't live with them, you wouldn't be alive without them. :p

Are you living independently, or do you subsist off them? If they are financing your life in some other way (housing, education, etc), then I guess they deserve input on what you do with "your" money. I listened to mine until I became financially independent. Now I ask them for advice (which I value) but rarely, if ever, blessing in financial matters....

FlavaFlavez

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2007
If its not parents, then it will soon we your wife or girlfriend telling you not to spend money. The wife will need that money for new shoes she doesn't need. The only reason I am getting the Touch is cause my soon to be wife is getting my 30gb iPod video out of the deal.

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
I get the same grief from the girlfriend....

but see spending $150 on shoes is totally different than buying an iPod apprently, she NEEDS those and only has like 20 pairs... *grumbles*

maccam

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2007
Wisconsin
Parents... you can't live with them, you wouldn't be alive without them. :p

Are you living independently, or do you subsist off them? If they are financing your life in some other way (housing, education, etc), then I guess they deserve input on what you do with "your" money. I listened to mine until I became financially independent. Now I ask them for advice (which I value) but rarely, if ever, blessing in financial matters....

Now that is a good post!

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
They're your parents. Yes they are a pain in the ass sometimes, but their goal in life is to make sure you do well so they can stop supporting your freeloading butt at some point in the future :p. They're not supposed to be your friends. When parents try to be friends stuff like this happens.

ndheah

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2007
Green Bay, WI
Don't worry mate, it doesn't end there trust me. My other half is always giving the same rhetoric.

Are we to assume you intend to pay for the device yourself...?

Fortunatly for me, my wife bought me the new classic. I now hope to buy myself a macbook for myself :)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Now that is a good post!

Thanks! I'm not saying I liked it at the time... :p But I did listen. :)

Except there was this one time, when I was six or seven, and we wanted ice cream. I asked my mom for money, and she specifically gave me money for myself (because my neighbor was a moocher). When we couldn't get money from his parents for him, we went anyways. When we got to the ice cream place (kind of the outer bounds of where we were allowed to go alone), I wasn't wearing shoes, and he wasn't wearing a shirt, so we weren't sure if we could get in. His shoes were too small for me, so I lent him my shirt.

We got some ice cream, but my mother somehow knew about the deception involved and I got in trouble. :D

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
Your parents are just looking out for you.

I mean, to them you're just buying something that does what the thing you already have is already doing.

It's hard to justify these sorts of things to parents, especially if they're not into electronics themselves.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.