Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you use Apple Earbuds, or your own?

• I use the supplied Apple Earbuds

Votes: 88 35.3%
  • I use other earbuds <$25

Votes: 21 8.4%
  • I use other earbuds $26-$50

Votes: 25 10.0%
  • I use other earbuds $51-$75

Votes: 24 9.6%
  • I use other earbuds $76-$98

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I use other earbuds $99+

Votes: 49 19.7%
  • I don't use earbuds, I use over the ear headphones

Votes: 27 10.8%

• Total voters

BiikeMike

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 17, 2005
This was sparked from the earbud thread going on over here, I'm just wondering who uses what kind of earbuds.

I personally have the Shure E2c's.

DENZIE

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2007
with the 2 ipods ive owned i didn't even bother opening the rip seal packaging that the earphones come in (cos they suck + keep resale up).. they sound so cruddy compared to my sennheisers, seriously, if you buy an ipod you may aswell get some decent headphones to convey the sound as it should be heard.

AppleFan08

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2007
Currently I use the supplied buds. However, i am thinking of using others. If i decide to get the Touch, i dont want those signature white buds to be a target for pickpockets and thieves!

Xeem

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2005
Minnesota
I often use the pack-in earbuds, which honestly sound pretty good compared to anything under $50 or so. If I want to take the quality up a notch, I use Apple in-ear headphones with Shure e2c foam covers (yes, they fit, and yes, they greatly improve the sound quality and better fit than the silicone covers Apple provides), which Playlistmag calls "one of the best in-ear-canal travel headphones under $75." Otherwise, I'll use my Everglide S-500 phones if I'm at home.

Tumeg101

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Orange County, California
I lost my apple earbuds (they were the best earbuds I have ever owned)
My mom gave me her old pair, and they broke...
Then I bought a pair for $15, very nice headphones, and very small

gavd

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2006
I'm another who use's the Apple in ear headphones. No doubt that there are better headphones out there, but they're good enough for me.

ilikecake

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2007
Since I can't lug my giant Sennheiser headphones around, I tend to use the Apple-supplied earbuds when I'm on-the-go. Thinking of getting some Sennheiser CX300 canalphones though, they're pretty good for how comparatively inexpensive they are.

jamesi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2005
Davis CA
the ones that came with my 5g just werent anything to go crazy over. then i bought a pair of shures for 120 and the difference was very noticeable. only downside is that the black doesnt match my white 'pod

shikimo

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2007
Lyon, France
with the 2 ipods ive owned i didn't even bother opening the rip seal packaging that the earphones come in (cos they suck + keep resale up).. they sound so cruddy compared to my sennheisers, seriously, if you buy an ipod you may aswell get some decent headphones to convey the sound as it should be heard.

True enough...but it's equally true that listening to tracks on an iPod will never satisfy a true audiophile; the product that comes through iTunes and onto the iPod is a pale echo of the original.

That being said, I used to recommend my Shure e2c's to everyone, but no more: the first pair bonked right away (the right ear started to fade in and out, then stopped altogether) and the good people at Shure replaced them quickly and without attitude, which I appreciated. However, last month the second pair bonked also (exact same problem). I'm very careful with my stuff (no exposure to water, sweat, no excessive manipulation of the cord, etc.), so there must've been a problem with the product and I won't buy another one, even though the sounded great for the price. I'm back the iBuds for now, and it's true that it's a pretty big step down.

lordjonny

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2006
the ipod headphones are awful period! they always break and crackle in one ear very quickly, so i picked up the cx300 sennhesisers which were gd, but too much hassle to fiddle around with in the ear and i lost all the rubber bud pits as i used them in a "bit" of rain then accidently left them in my pocket when i went into a steam room:eek::eek::eek:

so i got the sennheisher pmx 100 as the 200s are very heavy, these have lasted me ages and although over the head design really easy to carry around)i mite get the fold up ones next time) comfy slip on and no falling out if you run or walk more than a centimetre an hour, i might just have big ears or sumthing but in ear headphones do my nut lol

my two pennies :D

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
I recently bought a pair of headphones as opposed to earbuds due to the buds causing problems with my ears, so I've now got some Seinnheiser EH150's which sound so good compared to the standard earbuds that I'll gladly walk around with these on my head looking like a bit of a fool when the quality of sound and comfort is so far beyond the standard earphones. Yes, I have about 2 foot of cable in my pocket, but it's so worth it. :)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I second that and use the same as well.

I used to wear similar earphones (very expensive Shure's) as in-ear monitors when performing on stage, but I just never find them comfortable. Could never find the right cap or mould that felt comfortable in my ear. More often than not I'd end up pulling them out after a short while.

Hence I put up with the ipod earphones because at least I personally find them more comfortable. For me comfort over pure audiophilia wins.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.