Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Sep 11, 2007, 06:25 PM   #1
EricBrian
macrumors 6502a

Which Songs Make Good Ringtones?

So, was wondering which songs make good ringtones?

I thought about Blondie's Call Me. What else?
EricBrian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2007, 07:20 PM   #2
sanford
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBrian View Post

I thought about Blondie's Call Me. What else?
That's cute. ABBA's "Ring Ring". The White Stripes' "My Door Bell". Talk Talk's "Talk Talk". Yaz's (Or Yazoo's, depending on if you're in the UK or the States) "Bad Connection". Silver Scooter's "Tribute To The Phone Calls". Tom Waits's "Telephone Call From Istanbul". The Straford 4's "Telephone". The Be Good Tanyas' "Broken Telephone". Those should give you a start, anyway. Bear in mind I haven't checked those to see if they are iTunes ringtone-approved and I own a lot of them from CDs so iTunes won't let me use them.

I'm using Tennessee Ernie Ford's "Sixteen Tons", which I already bought from iTunes and was surprised to find was ringtone-friendly. Used to use the theme from the 1970s "Sanford and Son" TV program on a Nokia phone -- look at my user name; that's my real name -- but I haven't checked to see if iTunes has it available for ringtones. I'll probably buy about 10 ringtones and then the thrill will be gone, but it's a very elegant little ringtone-purchasing solution with a much wider and diverse variety -- I mean come on, Ford's "Sixteen Tons"? -- than you'll find with any mobile carrier.

Face it: the best ringtone for an iPhone is the Alarm ringtone personalized for your boss, mother-in-law, substance abusing cousin, money-borrowing kids, ex-wife or ex-husband (or unmarried versions of each) or whomever.
sanford is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2007, 07:29 PM   #3
EricBrian
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanford View Post
That's cute. ABBA's "Ring Ring". The White Stripes' "My Door Bell". Talk Talk's "Talk Talk". Yaz's (Or Yazoo's, depending on if you're in the UK or the States) "Bad Connection". Silver Scooter's "Tribute To The Phone Calls". Tom Waits's "Telephone Call From Istanbul". The Straford 4's "Telephone". The Be Good Tanyas' "Broken Telephone". Those should give you a start, anyway. Bear in mind I haven't checked those to see if they are iTunes ringtone-approved and I own a lot of them from CDs so iTunes won't let me use them.

I'm using Tennessee Ernie Ford's "Sixteen Tons", which I already bought from iTunes and was surprised to find was ringtone-friendly. Used to use the theme from the 1970s "Sanford and Son" TV program on a Nokia phone -- look at my user name; that's my real name -- but I haven't checked to see if iTunes has it available for ringtones. I'll probably buy about 10 ringtones and then the thrill will be gone, but it's a very elegant little ringtone-purchasing solution with a much wider and diverse variety -- I mean come on, Ford's "Sixteen Tons"? -- than you'll find with any mobile carrier.

Face it: the best ringtone for an iPhone is the Alarm ringtone personalized for your boss, mother-in-law, substance abusing cousin, money-borrowing kids, ex-wife or ex-husband (or unmarried versions of each) or whomever.
Wow, tons of great choices! Gonna try a couple of them.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 08:56 PM   #4
carman63
macrumors regular

Men at Work - Who can it be now?
The Police - Mother
carman63 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2007, 09:18 PM   #5
EricBrian
macrumors 6502a

Like somebody else said in a different thread:

Quote:
I'm using "You talk too much" by RUN DMC. That's a ringtone for when my wife calls....
Old Sep 11, 2007, 09:28 PM   #6
whistler72
macrumors member

My ringtone is from "The Wonder Pets".

"The Phone, the phone is ringing... the phone, we'll be right there....."
whistler72 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2007, 09:32 PM   #7
G75
macrumors newbie

Angry

Well, apparently not "Feel Good Inc" by the Gorillaz. Despite being 14th on the "Top Ringtones" list, you can't actually USE it as a ringtone in iTunes.

I would know.

G75
G75 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2007, 09:44 PM   #8
cyclingplatypus
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to cyclingplatypus
Quote:
Originally Posted by whistler72 View Post
My ringtone is from "The Wonder Pets".

"The Phone, the phone is ringing... the phone, we'll be right there....."
As a man with a young one I say "That's great!!!"
cyclingplatypus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2007, 10:10 PM   #9
whistler72
macrumors member

yeah. My little girl smiles everytime it goes off.
whistler72 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2009, 01:09 PM   #10
missbright
macrumors newbie

i made a few ringtones for my iPhone last night...

Century by Tiesto, the beginning of the song makes for a really cool tone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Hr7oC6yuXk
Escape Me by Tiesto, same thing- cool beginning.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CeTyIWiBc4
Rock'n'Rave by Benny Benassi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsJvpTPAugI

missbright is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2009, 01:24 PM   #11
Small White Car
macrumors G4

Intros to kids' songs are great.

Cut them down to end before the characters start singing. Almost every song by the Doodlebops starts out with a great ringtone opportunity.

Also, find albums of movie soundtracks but don't use the main theme. Listen to the closing credits for 'Raiders of the Lost Ark.' Skip past the loud and obvious "Indiana Jones Theme" to the quieter parts. Some of those are ringtones on my phone.
Small White Car is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2010, 03:21 AM   #12
kaibex
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBrian View Post
Anyone got any 2010 suggestions?
Old Jun 16, 2011, 05:46 PM   #13
Say My Name
macrumors newbie

Smile Wazzup

Hi to all, for my ringtone opportunity I download free ringtones for my phone ...
funny.. pop.. hip-hop.. for any interests ..

Last edited by Say My Name; Jun 17, 2011 at 04:44 AM.
Say My Name is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2011, 05:27 AM   #14
lapocompris
macrumors regular

I made my ringtones from:
- In the black of night (by Slow Train)
- Piensa en mi (by Luz Casal)
- Lilly (by Pink Martini)
- Rhythm (by Casey McGill)
lapocompris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2011, 10:58 AM   #15
sawatzky
macrumors newbie

convert it

Quote:
Originally Posted by G75 View Post
Well, apparently not "Feel Good Inc" by the Gorillaz. Despite being 14th on the "Top Ringtones" list, you can't actually USE it as a ringtone in iTunes.

I would know.

G75
Almost all of the Apple store tunes are now DRM (Digital Rights Management) free, meaning you can use them to create ringtones. No song is a ringtone out of the box - it has to be converted to a ringtone, and saved to iTunes in a ringtone format. There are free or cheap apps in the Apple App store to do this.

If your Gorillaz tune has DRM on it, you may be able to upgrade it to a non-DRM version in the iTunes store for 40 cents or so.
sawatzky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2011, 08:26 PM   #16
Rocko1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawatzky View Post

If your Gorillaz tune has DRM on it, you may be able to upgrade it to a non-DRM version in the iTunes store for 40 cents or so.
Let me pay more for something I already bought.
Rocko1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2011, 04:28 AM   #17
Travis Bickle
macrumors member

years ago i had one of the original windows based mobiles (HTC canary or orange SPV)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_SPV and i used to have Van Halen's "jump" intro on there as my ring tone.....must redo it sometime as it was a great tone and easy to listen out for. The phone was great for the time and really microsoft could have had the whole smartphone market sown up if they had the vision of apple.

My existing one is a funky ultrasonic one whereby it starts with some feedback type of noise then slowly goes very high pitched to the point i can't hear it then back down again - fantastic for noisy environments like clubs, bars etc as i seldom miss a phone call.
Travis Bickle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2011, 04:39 AM   #18
toolbox
macrumors 68020

i have WWE themes for some of my tones for certain contacts

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting