Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vouder17

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2003
Home
I have been doing some thinking about apples future products, i don't know if my predictions are acceptable, but this is what i think.....

Powerbooks:
I beleive that they will be updated on tuesday, and will only see G5 in mid-2004, perhaps WWDC 2004.

Powermacs:
I believe that they will keep on getting revisions and as apple said they will reach the 3Ghz barrier by next year.

eMacs:
They will just be minor revisions as it is mainly targeted at Education, and not the consumer line.

iBook:
I don't really know what to expect from iBooks, but i believe they might get a G4 chip????

iMacs:
As these computers interest me the most i did some calculating and thought , the first iMac was released in 1998, then the new flat panel iMac was introduced 2.5 years later, now we are again 2.5 years later since the imac was updated, could it atall be possible that the iMac will be updated in january at Macworld, with perhaps G5 and will look completly different to the present model.

OK well that is what i am hoping for, I would like to here other peoples views and critism.

Thanx

vouder17

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2003
Home
Sorry Mistake

Sorry i made a mistake the iMac was updated in 2002 , so therefore , kind of destroys my theory, but i still hope to see an iMac G5 in the near future, but i quess it won't be next year.

Thanks

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
I hope Steve's matrix of pro/consumer Mac's will be simplified again.

G4: comsumer (hopefully the 7457)
G5: pro

get rid of the G3. Served us wonderfully for (too) many years.....

LimeLite

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2003
Los Angeles, Ca
Except that the G3 Gobi is in some respects better than the G4. It has the altivec engine, but runs a *lot* cooler. I wouldn't mind the G3 sticking around a little longer under that scenario.

(I think I have my information correct, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.)

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Originally posted by akushlan
the Gobi or G3+ will prolly be labeled as the G4

It should be.
G3 + Altivec, is almost the equivilant to the 'real' G4.
Marketing-wise, branding a Mac product a "G3" really isn't gr8.

Anyone have a clue: 1 Ghz Gobi vs. 1 Ghz 7455? (or even 7457?)
Gobi: cooler, but less Mhz?
If so, Gobi in iBook.

vollspacken

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2002
Boogie-Down Berlintown
I don't think that the G4 will find it's way into the iBook anytime soon.

why not?! well the powerbook and the iMac won't get the G5 until next year and by then the enhanced G3 will be out... if it reaches decend clock speeds it will be a very nice and efficient chip - best choice for the consumer notebook!

they should design a cheap headless box around that configuration too...

oh, and I would suggest to simplify the product lines:
- drop the 14" iBook, offer the 12" iBook in two configurations
- replace the G4 power macs with the said G3+ headless box in two configurations (essentially the iBook board design without screen)
- offer two configurations of the "upcoming" 15" aluBook, one configuration of a new 10" aluBook
- two configs of eMac, one 15" iMac, one 17" iMac
- three G5 configs: one single, two double processor machines

simplify software line too...

vSpacken

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
I agree. Frankly, I think that the Gobi G3 is a perfect choice for the iBook, for a couple of reasons:

First, it runs very coolly and does not dissipate a lot of power.

Second, it's still a great chip, even as the 750FX. The 750FX is basically a MPC7455 with one less FPU pipe and no AltiVec unit.

Third, the G3 is about to go through a process shrink, and add AltiVec. This will allow it to reach much higher clock speeds and finally will be a decent solution for amateur video editing.

All things considered, when the 750GX and Gobi (or are the same? I get confused over the desert names) are released, I wouldn't be dissapointed to see them in iBooks or possibly even in the PowerBooks for all of those reasons. The fact is that the 750 is an ideal processor for mobile computing, and, looking at IBM's roadmap, will be for some time.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by Daveman Deluxe
Second, it's still a great chip, even as the 750FX. The 750FX is basically a MPC7455 with one less FPU pipe and no AltiVec unit.
Don't forget the 750s generally lack an MPX FSB, L3 cache, and MESI cache coherency.

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
Good Lord, Sun Baked. I knew I was forgetting something when I made that post, but I didn't realize it was THAT much. :D

At any rate, those features aren't strictly necessary for the "consumer" user (ahough the L3 cache would still be nice). The upcoming G3s are reported to support a FSB that's twice as fast as the current models.

coolsoldier

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2003
The 909
Originally posted by Daveman Deluxe
At any rate, those features aren't strictly necessary for the "consumer" user

Most computer features aren't "strictly necessary" for the consumer user. I could live w/o a color monitor, but that doesn't mean I want to;)

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
Re: Future of Apple???

Originally posted by vouder17
Powerbooks:
I beleive that they will be updated on tuesday, and will only see G5 in mid-2004, perhaps WWDC 2004.

I believe that I believe that your belief of PowerBook updates on Tuesday is true. :D

that is all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.