Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

muttley1211

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2007
I have been looking on these board for the past couple days and like other people on here I am in the market for a new computer. I have seen numerous threads about this topic so I thought I would make the "official" thread about it. Hopefully people can use this one instead of starting a new one everyday.

Anyways.... from what I have read on here people seem to think that there might be a possibility that Macbooks could get an update around the same time Leopard is released. I have looked around at some sites to find some more info. I saw these two articles:
Rumor: MacBooks Slim Down In October
Multi-Touch On MacBooks In October

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
November with the Crestline chipset, GMA X3100 or whatever, and LED backlit screens.

Imperial

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2007
London
I have been looking on these board for the past couple days and like other people on here I am in the market for a new computer. I have seen numerous threads about this topic so I thought I would make the "official" thread about it. Hopefully people can use this one instead of starting a new one everyday.

Anyways.... from what I have read on here people seem to think that there might be a possibility that Macbooks could get an update around the same time Leopard is released. I have looked around at some sites to find some more info. I saw these two articles:
Rumor: MacBooks Slim Down In October
Multi-Touch On MacBooks In October

I already own a MacBook, and i wish to get another MacBook Pro but feel like want to wait till the new release also.

lampdeskchair

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2007
I just got a Black Macbook for my birthday/college/surgery-get-well-soon/...If they completely changed the Macbook in October I'd be soooo annoyed. Bump up the power or whatever, fine. Don't redesign the suckers and make my notebook look lame compared to your new lot. At least give me 6 months with my Macbook before you do that. :(

Though if it's anything like the iMac update then I'd laugh and be happy I got my Macbook now. Those new iMac's are hideous in my opinion...But updated graphics would be cool...

hohohong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2007
Wow,.... multi touch!,.... double tapping to zoom in for safari,.... 2 finger zooming!

It would be cool to have that function to work with Leopard's SPACE! Like the movie "Minority Report"! Moving the spaces with swipe of finger!

I think next revision should have that function! I will wait till MBP have that function to get my MBP!

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I'd give it a 5 % chance that they'll be updated before the end of the year and a 95 % chance that they'll be updated in January and delivered by the end of February.

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
Th design will almost certainly stay the same, they may add a half decent dedicated graphics card to support leopard better.
Personally though I think no big hardware changes will take place until january with the iphone/touch and Leopard for apple to worry about in the coming months.....

SHadow

muttley1211

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2007
Well the "source" was right about the new iMacs....

Either way I am going to get a Macbook when Leopard comes out......I am just hoping it is a new updated version :)

GavinTing

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2007
Singapore!
The obligatory "OH PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE COME OUT AS EXPECTED" reply

Seriously though.. I'm waiting for the update so I can grab one =D

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
No new hardware until MacWorld, unless they introduce a MacPro upgrade to pair with the Leopard launch. The macbooks are updated about every 6 months, and October is too soon for that. Plus, the macbooks are aimed at the edu crowd and that ship has already sailed for the year since school started in Aug/Sept.

muttley1211

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2007
They update about every 6 months, the last update was mid-May, and people think Leopard will come out at the end of October...... that isn't too far off ;)

Maybe it is just me, but wouldn't you want to have your computers updated as much as you could when your new OS comes out?

sblasl

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2004
Heber Springs, AR
Apple now has it's product line staged for the holiday shopping season. With a remote possibility of an update to the Mac Pro line.

Production is now ramping up to full tilt boogie to meet holiday sales.

MacBook & MacBook Pro will see an update in early '08.

jockmock

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2007
I guess in the end of October. After all, it's been a year and a half since a redesign.

noodle654

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2005
Never Ender
If the MacBooks get a speed increase (SR) then the MBP must be updated. If they both have the same processor speed then we got a problem! If anything it will be like the May-June updates. The MacBook will update first...then the MBP will update in about 1 month. It makes perfect sense to me.

steve31

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2007
Edmonton Canada
I also say sometime in oct. Apple has a lot of hype right now with new iphone, imacs, and now new ipod... I would think a refresh in oct for the leopard release would be a smart thing in time for the holidays. There are a lot of people that are sick of vista and apple seems to be the answer. Just my 2 cents.:D

astrostu

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2007
All I have to say is that they better do the Mac Pro before other stuff ... nearly 13 months without a real update is ridiculous.

sblasl

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2004
Heber Springs, AR
Apple is just now getting the last update stabilized, meaning resolving all of the issues that reared their ugly heads. I do not think that they want to release another update that close to the holiday shopping season and find out that they have issues. Like I said, Apple is now locked & loaded and ramping up the production lines to build-up the inventory to meet holiday shopping demands.

If folks are sick of Vista, Apple's current product line (excluding Mac Pro), is ready when they are.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
I do not think that they want to release another update that close to the holiday shopping season and find out that they have issues.

Except that they've updated their notebooks before every holiday season:rolleyes:

From a market/competition point of view, it would be very hard to sell your products if they hadn't been upgraded recently. Not all sales can be based on design and the iPod "halo" effect. At some point before Christmas, the macbook is going to have to have an update in order to make it competitive with other PC laptops that are on the market for that price point.

GavinTing

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2007
Singapore!
Consumer-Book Updates
5/2007
11/2006
5/2006(macbook release)
7/2005
10/2004
4/2004
10/2003
4/2003
11/2002 (ibook release)

Well, looking at the consumer notebook line, we can see that it alternates between holiday season and april/may. This trend is very very nicely depicted. If they are just updating the MB to become more powerful, It would be quite obvious that it will come out in late october-ish. However, if they do a complete redesign, we should expect it next year in may-ish.

Prosumer-book Updates
6/2007
10/2006
4/2006
1/2006
10/2005
1/2005
4/2004
9/2003
1/2003
11/2002

The prosumer MBP though.. Is very very hard to say =\ :rolleyes:

To see these dates in a nice graph form, see https://buyersguide.macrumors.com//#MacBook

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
The prosumer MBP though.. Is very very hard to say =\ :rolleyes:

The data you provided from the Buyer's Guide clearly points to an update prior to the Holiday Season in all but one case: 2004. Aside from that year, there was an update at least 3 months before Christmas. Is there any reason to believe that the prophecy won't be fulfilled?

muttley1211

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2007
Consumer-Book Updates
5/2007
11/2006
5/2006(macbook release)
7/2005
10/2004
4/2004
10/2003
4/2003
11/2002 (ibook release)

Panther....released October 24, 2003.
Tiger.......released April 29, 2005.

If you look at updates that go with the last 2 OS releases... one is in the same month and the other is 2 months later (I count April 29 as May ;) ) There might not have been a big reason to rush the update without the holidays right around the corner.....or so I hope

But even with out the new OS coming out there seems to be a strong pattern of a late spring updates and a late fall updates

jockmock

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2007
yeah... something will definitely happen this fall if you look at that pattern. Whether it is a resdesign or not, time will tell

youyesyou

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2007
Paris, France
I might be wrong but i thought that Jobs said all apple computers will be "green" at the end of 2007. So Macbook update at the end of october or during the first days of november with LED display. Can't be denied that GMA 950 in the macbook it's a shame because the GMA 3100 is available and would be a real plus.

In my opinion, no redesign at the moment, MBP will be the first to be redesigned. Would be great to see a new MB with a design like that trick :

1063217218_6e5570ddba_o.png

But with the new MB keyboard of course ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.