Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 12, 2007, 12:59 AM   #1
Rolmix
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
How's gaming on iMac 24" 2.4 ?

I'm about to sell my XPS M170 laptop and buy iMac 24" 2.4 Ghz , but before I do that I'd like to know how's gaming on iMac 24" 2.4 with 2 GB?
Rolmix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2007, 01:34 AM   #2
rainydays
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolmix View Post
I'm about to sell my XPS M170 laptop and buy iMac 24" 2.4 Ghz , but before I do that I'd like to know how's gaming on iMac 24" 2.4 with 2 GB?
There's lots of threads on the subject. Do some searching in the forum.

That said. The iMac isn't a gamers rig, but it will run most games just fine. You will have to lower the quality settings with the newer most demanding games though.

So if your primary focus is gaming, then you should probably look elsewhere, but it is enough for the casual gamer and then some.
rainydays is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2007, 08:47 AM   #3
nando2323
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
I play WoW while on skype, and itunes and safari open on mine everyday pretty much at the highest settings except the aniosopric filtering and it runs at 30-50 fps.
nando2323 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2007, 05:55 PM   #4
AlexisV
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Manchester, UK
Gaming is more than adequate. However, you'd get more performance out of the 20" because the machine needs to throw less pixels around.
AlexisV is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2007, 06:34 PM   #5
SaSaSushi
macrumors 68040
 
SaSaSushi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Takamatsu, Japan
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisV View Post
Gaming is more than adequate. However, you'd get more performance out of the 20" because the machine needs to throw less pixels around.
Not true at all. The 24" aluminum iMac has both a superior GPU and a faster CPU.

I have the 24" aluminum iMac and am a casual gamer. It plays the games I like with smooth framerates at the native 1920x1200 resolution and high settings (Counter Strike: Source, Half Life 2, etc).

Here are some benchmarks comparing iMac performance: http://www.barefeats.com/imacal.html
__________________
27" Late 2013 iMac i7 3.5GHz GTX780M 32GB/1TB Fusion
32GB iPhone 5s | 32GB iPad 3 LTE
16GB iPad 2 3G | Canon EOS 450D
SaSaSushi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2007, 07:12 PM   #6
Siemova
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaSaSushi View Post
Not true at all. The 24" aluminum iMac has both a superior GPU and a faster CPU.
Um... the mid-range 20" has the same CPU and GPU as the 24". Unless you BTO the 2.8GHz Extreme, of course. But that doesn't make any difference where the LCD is concerned. AlexisV was right that the same GPU will have a lighter load, and therefore slightly better performance, displaying on a smaller screen. That said, I'm not sure the difference would be all that noticeable.
__________________
Weaned on a Mac SE in the 80's; haven't left Apple since.
27" Quad i5 iMac (2010) / 13" MacBook Air (2011)
Siemova is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2007, 07:36 PM   #7
SaSaSushi
macrumors 68040
 
SaSaSushi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Takamatsu, Japan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siemova View Post
Um... the mid-range 20" has the same CPU and GPU as the 24". Unless you BTO the 2.8GHz Extreme, of course. But that doesn't make any difference where the LCD is concerned. AlexisV was right that the same GPU will have a lighter load, and therefore slightly better performance, displaying on a smaller screen. That said, I'm not sure the difference would be all that noticeable.
Thanks for the correction. I could have sworn when I bought my 24" on August 8th it was just the low end 20", the 24" and the 24" with the 2.8GHz. I guess I was just so focused on the 24" that I missed it completely.

They didn't include benchmarks for that machine at Barefeats but I agree with you that if there is any difference at all it would be minimal.
__________________
27" Late 2013 iMac i7 3.5GHz GTX780M 32GB/1TB Fusion
32GB iPhone 5s | 32GB iPad 3 LTE
16GB iPad 2 3G | Canon EOS 450D
SaSaSushi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2007, 11:43 PM   #8
GTiPhone
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Island Heights, NJ
Send a message via AIM to GTiPhone
My new 20" 2.4 does a wonderful job with some games, a bit to be desired with others.

For reference:
Jedi Academy runs very well at higher graphic settings.
Empire at Wars fantastic on medium settings.
Zoo Tycoon runs well on medium settings.
Roller Coaster runs terrible like it does on ever other consumer level machine... I'm convinced you need a Cray to make this game run smoothly.
GTiPhone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2007, 12:47 AM   #9
ottozero
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
24 -17=7in less

yeah I dont have a 24 in....But if my 17" iMac is any indication of gaming ...Your Covered!! Command & Conquer 3 (newest Game I've purchased, Half-life 2, WOW.
ottozero is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2007, 01:01 AM   #10
booksacool1
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolmix View Post
I'm about to sell my XPS M170 laptop and buy iMac 24" 2.4 Ghz , but before I do that I'd like to know how's gaming on iMac 24" 2.4 with 2 GB?
The M170 came with the 7800gtx I think. Comparing that to the HD2600 pro and you'll probably be disappointed. They are about as fast as each other.

From a graphics perspective, you're not upgrading at all. Gaming performance will be more or less identical, unless your heavily CPU limited (unlikely).

So basically if your looking to do quite a bit of gaming, look elsewhere. The HD2600 is a disappointing choice from apple to say the least.
__________________
MBP SR 2.4ghz Stock
Gaming PC|e8400|HD4890|4GB Ram|4.25TB storage
booksacool1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2007, 03:42 AM   #11
SaSaSushi
macrumors 68040
 
SaSaSushi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Takamatsu, Japan
Quote:
Originally Posted by booksacool1 View Post
The M170 came with the 7800gtx I think. Comparing that to the HD2600 pro and you'll probably be disappointed. They are about as fast as each other.

From a graphics perspective, you're not upgrading at all. Gaming performance will be more or less identical, unless your heavily CPU limited (unlikely).

So basically if your looking to do quite a bit of gaming, look elsewhere. The HD2600 is a disappointing choice from apple to say the least.
I thought it was established in this thread that the GPU in the new iMac is actually an underclocked HD2600 XT which leads one to believe that once ATItool is capable of adjusting the clock speeds for it we will see far better performance (it if doesn't cause overheating lockups, etc).
__________________
27" Late 2013 iMac i7 3.5GHz GTX780M 32GB/1TB Fusion
32GB iPhone 5s | 32GB iPad 3 LTE
16GB iPad 2 3G | Canon EOS 450D
SaSaSushi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2007, 03:45 AM   #12
Eidorian
macrumors Penryn
 
Eidorian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Cuidad de México
Send a message via AIM to Eidorian
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaSaSushi View Post
I thought it was established in this thread that the GPU in the new iMac is actually an underclocked HD2600 XT which leads one to believe that once ATItool is capable of adjusting the clock speeds for it we will see far better performance (it if doesn't cause overheating lockups, etc).
It's a Mobility HD 2600XT.

If you want to make comparisons check out laptops benchmarks. Expect to crank up your fans as well. A high CPU load pushes the GPU diode temperature as well since they share the same cooling hardware.
__________________
Core i5 750 / 16 GB RAM / 500 GB SSD / GTX 970 / Windows 8.1
13" Retina MacBook Pro
Eidorian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2007, 05:08 AM   #13
SaSaSushi
macrumors 68040
 
SaSaSushi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Takamatsu, Japan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidorian View Post
It's a Mobility HD 2600XT.

If you want to make comparisons check out laptops benchmarks. Expect to crank up your fans as well. A high CPU load pushes the GPU diode temperature as well since they share the same cooling hardware.
Well I assumed there was a reason that they clocked it as it is. Personally I won't be overclocking it anyway since I am not a hardcore gamer and it serves adequately at native resolution for the few games I do enjoy like Counterstrike: Source and BioShock.

I don't think the iMac will ever be a recommended machine for the hardcore gamer. Build a nice PC gaming rig for that purpose.
__________________
27" Late 2013 iMac i7 3.5GHz GTX780M 32GB/1TB Fusion
32GB iPhone 5s | 32GB iPad 3 LTE
16GB iPad 2 3G | Canon EOS 450D
SaSaSushi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2007, 05:27 AM   #14
bigbadnewill
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
I know nothing about pc/mac gaming, and i have just got a 24" iMac. I run windows xp with bootcamp also. I take it i can play windows games on the xp boot just fine? Or is it best to buy the mac version of the game and run it through os x???
__________________
Insert a list here of all the expensive Apple products you have bought...
bigbadnewill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2007, 08:05 AM   #15
RichardI
macrumors 6502a
 
RichardI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Southern Ontario, Canada
If you are a casual gamer it is just fine. Finding native OSX games is the only real issue. The other issue is resolution. The 24" screen is so huge, that games which have pre-set video resolution don't look so good. Games that can be run in a window are too small on the screen (personal opinion).
I have X-Plane and it looks very good at 1280 x 1024 or 1600 x 1200, and it runs very smooth. I'm not into frame rates (I think they're over rated ) so I can't talk to that. If you wanted to run FSX under either Bootcamp or Parallels, you will disappointed. A PC or a gaming box are much better at high-end games. Bottom line, the Mac is good for casual gaming.

Rich
__________________
iMac 27", i7, 8 Gb. ram, HD5750/1Gb, 1TB. Hard Drive, OSX 10.9.X Logitech wireless mouse, wired keyboard, iPod Shuffle (2nd G) 1 Gb.
RichardI is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2007, 08:40 AM   #16
halfprep455
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Maryland USA
Send a message via AIM to halfprep455
I play the Windows Vista version of Halo, San Andreas, Counter Strike, Doom 3, and many others just fine on my 20in iMac. Just install Vista home premium using boot camp and upgrade your RAM to at least 2GB. You should be able to play most games just fine.
__________________
My campaign slogan: "The people suck! **** Hope!"
halfprep455 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2007, 08:45 AM   #17
AlexisV
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Manchester, UK
Quote:
I know nothing about pc/mac gaming, and i have just got a 24" iMac. I run windows xp with bootcamp also. I take it i can play windows games on the xp boot just fine? Or is it best to buy the mac version of the game and run it through os x???
Windows XP is the best gaming OS at the moment. OS X isn't really built for games, and games in Vista lose a few frames per second over XP.

Best off with Bootcamp and XP / Vista at the moment.
AlexisV is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2007, 01:55 PM   #18
Cuban///M3
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprep455 View Post
I play the Windows Vista version of Halo, San Andreas, Counter Strike, Doom 3, and many others just fine on my 20in iMac. Just install Vista home premium using boot camp and upgrade your RAM to at least 2GB. You should be able to play most games just fine.
how many fps are you getting in CS? is there any way you can take a video of you playing? The only thing holding me back from getting the new iMac is how well will it play CS.
Cuban///M3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2007, 02:13 PM   #19
ilikeiBook
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
I get 30-50 fps on WoW with res. and all settings maxed out.
__________________
Aluminum iMac 24 inch / 2.4 GHz
ilikeiBook is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2007, 04:27 PM   #20
mrgreen4242
macrumors 601
 
mrgreen4242's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaSaSushi View Post
Thanks for the correction. I could have sworn when I bought my 24" on August 8th it was just the low end 20", the 24" and the 24" with the 2.8GHz. I guess I was just so focused on the 24" that I missed it completely.
Sorry, that didn't make any sense to me. The low end 20", the 24" and the 24" with a 2.8ghz? It's 20"/2.0ghz/2400xt, 20"/2.4ghx/2600pro, 24"/2.4ghz/2600pro, 24"/2.8ghz/2600pro for all the stock configurations.
__________________
Mac Pro 4,1, 8x2.26ghz, 10gb, 128gb SSD, 2x750gb (RAID1), 2tb, ATI6750
iPad air 64gb wifi - 16gb iPhone 5s - AppleTV3
mrgreen4242 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2007, 06:51 PM   #21
togermano
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
my 20 inch runs the new command and conquer very good!! but rct 3 and simcity4 run awful and they are older games lol I don't get it
togermano is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2007, 07:20 PM   #22
bluefiberoptics
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by togermano View Post
my 20 inch runs the new command and conquer very good!! but rct 3 and simcity4 run awful and they are older games lol I don't get it
Are you playing the Windows versions? Or the PPC Mac versions?
bluefiberoptics is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iMac 2013 possible advantages in terms of "gaming" dregshwoyn iMac 23 Aug 31, 2013 02:39 PM
Late 2012 iMac 21.5" base vs. rMBP 13" in gaming thomj iMac 8 Mar 20, 2013 07:38 PM
Gaming on iMac in bootcamp - lower resolutions in "centered" mode? Mac32 iMac 6 Dec 31, 2012 05:28 PM
iMac 21.5" Gaming? MagicThief83 iMac 20 Dec 18, 2012 12:39 AM
27" iMac for gaming? Maxcorpious iMac 63 Nov 7, 2012 04:42 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:08 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC