Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spikeanator6982

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2007
I know, I know it doesnt mean anything..but maybe it does. Apple is done updating the consumer software/hardware, except Leopard of course. I would say Logic Studio is a Pro app. surely that would mean apple is now getting its Pro software/hardware done and released hence Logic Studio and the Mac Pro. Yep I know..im stating the obvious here pry. I am going to say it here and now..new Mac Pros with or before Leopard comes out in October.

Please :apple: prefferably sooner, this here G4 hasnt been cutting it lately, and now the superdrive has quit, and more and more noises are coming out of it.

Kosh66

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2004
The Mac Pro is likely one of the next 2 hardware updates.

iPods have been updated, Mac Mini and iMacs have been updated, the only thing that could sneak in before the Mac Pro, is another laptop update, but it seems early for that. The Xserve and Mac Pro seem to be next in line... unless there's a new iPhone.

So, yep, I'd say the Mac Pro will be one of the next 2 hardware updates.

Of course there may be a few software announcements before then.

fernmeister

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2007
I've yet to see confirmation that Logic 8 accesses all 8 cores. It must, either now in an update because Apple's approach seems to be to shun external DSP as in PTHD and with some the updated plugins (like the vintage compression settings) they are going after UAudio's market.

One could imagine Apple hitting AES with Logic 8, the Apogee range and a new Mac Pro - but the fact is they don't need a new Mac Pro to showcase this software.

kristofor

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2007
I agree. I think that the Mac pro will be the next update. Hopefully it will come soon, along with a nice price drop.

Although the Cinema displays need an update, maybe they will update the Mac pro with better graphics cards for leopard, and then also update the displays at the same time so that you can actually watch HD videos on the 30" display without it stretching the pixels.

Either way a Mac Pro update must be very very close.

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
Although the Cinema displays need an update, maybe they will update the Mac pro with better graphics cards for leopard, and then also update the displays at the same time so that you can actually watch HD videos on the 30" display without it stretching the pixels.

The ACDs seem to simply go through silent updates as display panels improve. Beyond that, I don't think they need anything. A lot of people clamour for a camera, but I am not sure that the ACD market generally want cameras.

kristofor

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2007
I don't see the point in a camera. I just want to know that I am getting the best product with the Apple. With Dell having a much better colour range i think an update might be something to shout about. I am more interested in the fact that the 30" displays stretch fullscreen HD videos because the resolution is bigger than the video. This problem I think might need to be a mix of display and software however it is something that needs a real fix. I watched an Imax HD video on the 30" in the apple store and it looked shocking in full screen.

I think that Apple will update the Mac pro and the ACD at the same time and make a big deal about it and about how it will boost your Leopard experience.

vendettabass

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2006
Wellington, New Zealand
we really need consumer displays and pro displays. That'd be kickass.

20" Consumer LCD w/ DVI, iSights + USB x3 + IR Sensor
24" Consumer LCD w/ DVI, iSights + USB x3 + IR Sensor

24" Pro LCD w/ HDMI & DVI, USB x2 + FW400 x2
27" Pro LCD w/ HDMI & DVI, USB x2 + FW400 x2
30" Pro LCD w/ HDMI & DVI, USB x2 + FW400 x1 + FW800 x1

Pro LCD BTO megapixel iSight

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
I don't see the point in a camera. I just want to know that I am getting the best product with the Apple. With Dell having a much better colour range i think an update might be something to shout about. I am more interested in the fact that the 30" displays stretch fullscreen HD videos because the resolution is bigger than the video. This problem I think might need to be a mix of display and software however it is something that needs a real fix. I watched an Imax HD video on the 30" in the apple store and it looked shocking in full screen.

I think that Apple will update the Mac pro and the ACD at the same time and make a big deal about it and about how it will boost your Leopard experience.

Well the fact that it stretches the video because it is higher resolution is not going to change and no one in their right mind would suggest that Apple lower the resolution to make full screen HD video fit properly.

The only way to "fix" the problem would be to set the display to a non native resolution.

Kosh66

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2004

I agree with the other poster. You don't want Apple to lower the resolution to "fix" this. All you have to do to fix this is NOT play video at full screen, play it at it's actual size. If you want to play video at full screen in HD, you don't want a 30" ACD, you want a HD TV... heck get a 42" 1080p HDTV which has a 1920 x 1080 resolution. You use a 30" ACD for the screen real estate, to play both a HD video and see the audio track, and have a list of other video parts to edit in. That's probably why video editors have both computer monitors and TVs hooked up to their computer. To see what the video look like on a TV as well as a monitor.

ocbo41

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2007
we really need consumer displays and pro displays. That'd be kickass.

20" Consumer LCD w/ DVI, iSights + USB x3 + IR Sensor
24" Consumer LCD w/ DVI, iSights + USB x3 + IR Sensor

24" Pro LCD w/ HDMI & DVI, USB x2 + FW400 x2
27" Pro LCD w/ HDMI & DVI, USB x2 + FW400 x2
30" Pro LCD w/ HDMI & DVI, USB x2 + FW400 x1 + FW800 x1

Pro LCD BTO megapixel iSight

Yes I agree 100% The cinema displays have really been lacking in the pro department, they need a pro model with an improved color gamut and more uniform brightness across the panel like the Eizo's.

fernmeister

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2007
8core.jpg

kristofor

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2007
Well the fact that it stretches the video because it is higher resolution is not going to change and no one in their right mind would suggest that Apple lower the resolution to make full screen HD video fit properly.

The only way to "fix" the problem would be to set the display to a non native resolution.

I'm not in any way sugguesting Apple Lower the resolution. If they did what would be the point in getting a 30" display. what I am saying though is that they need to work on a processing technology to effectively scale the video to the same res as the screen without largly distorting it.

Apparently HP will have a 30" display that can run the HD video's in full screen on the same larger resolution as most 30" displays. I want the extra resolution, but I don't want to lose the video quality in full screen. This is a serious problem if you ever wanted to use your 30" display to watch movies which I am sure many people might want to do at some point.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
Apparently HP will have a 30" display that can run the HD video's in full screen on the same larger resolution as most 30" displays. I want the extra resolution, but I don't want to lose the video quality in full screen. This is a serious problem if you ever wanted to use your 30" display to watch movies which I am sure many people might want to do at some point.

Sorry but it is always going to look bad.

You are trying to display 1920 x 1080 pixels on a display that is showing 2560 x 1600 pixels. The only way to achieve that is to duplicate pixels or to make them larger by using more pixels to show one of the original ones. That reduces the quality. No amount of fancy playing around is going to magically add pixels to the video that you are trying to play. Even if it did it would be done by software which is never going to match the original quality.

kristofor

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2007
I think the idea is to process the HD video differently from how the pixels are used when acting as a monitor. It will certainly make a difference to the quality. All it needs is a bit of processing to ensure that the video up-scales properly. I am not saying add pixels, but what I am saying is not to make it at the detriment to the video.

Half the problem is these displays are at a different ratio to that of HD video. E.g HD video at 16:9 is different from the 16:10 used on the monitors. Meaning that you can't get a full screen video anyway in the native ratio.

I still expect to have problems when you play full screen, however the quality needs to be much better. For such an expensive monitor this can deffinately be improved through software or hardware updates. I would buy one except for the fact that I have to stand so far back to not notice any deterioration.

seclusion

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2007
I would assume that Apple would want to show Leo on their flagship machine.
I mean, really wouldn't they want to show Logic Studio using 32 gigs of ram with orchestral samples all over the place and a full mix happening?
The only question I have is what else this new machine will have?
My 2.66 with 5 gigs of ram is all I'll ever need.
Can't imagine the 8 core being totally maxed for music.
Wonder what this new machine will have?
New video card the Harper CPU, increased system buss. After that?
Should be a fun couple months to see.

deux-ex-mak

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2007
Video display

I'm not in any way sugguesting Apple Lower the resolution. If they did what would be the point in getting a 30" display. what I am saying though is that they need to work on a processing technology to effectively scale the video to the same res as the screen without largly distorting it.

The point is that, no matter how good the scaling method or the screen is, you are still trying to force video to be displayed in a different medium as it's intended in the first place. As someone said here, that's why professionals actually rely on the "client monitor" -also called 3rd monitor: basically, a video monitor, be it a broadcast pro- type or at least a simple consumer telly.

There are other technical reasons like different formats in size, anamorphic, progressive or interlaced, that will always make any computer display show just a representation of video, rather than the "what you see is what you get" provided by a video monitor.

I wouldn't worry at all by any computer display technology when what I'm actually aiming for is a broadcast video monitor, when I can eventually afford it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.