Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Old Sep 12, 2007, 09:11 PM   #1
emt8q5
macrumors member

very weird phenomenon with external display

Hey all, I've been having a very strange problem with my external display on my Black C2D Macbook. My external display is a Samsung 226CW and I am using CS3.

Here is the Issue:

When I am editing a file in Photoshop on my macbook screen, the colors appear as they are supposed to (ie as they appear on other PCs and on print material) however, when I go to load those same files while using PS on my external monitor, the colors look washed out. I know its not the physical monitor itself because colors in programs outside of photoshop look identical (if not better on the external) to the macbook screen. It is a problem with photoshop. Whats very strange is if I load the file on my macbook screen, and then plug in my external display while the file is up on the desktop, I can see the normal colors on the external display. If I close down the file on my external display and open it again, however, the colors are back to the faded version. I know its not the monitor itself because I can take screen shots of the effect and look at them on the external monitor. I imagine it must be some quirk with my settings which handle external displays, but what? Either way, this phenomenon has me clueless.

Let me know what you guys think! Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 2.png
Views:	16
Size:	299.3 KB
ID:	84883   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 4.png
Views:	15
Size:	256.1 KB
ID:	84884  

Last edited by emt8q5; Sep 12, 2007 at 09:17 PM.
emt8q5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2007, 10:40 PM   #2
jonnylink
macrumors 6502

have you calibrated your MacBook's display and/or external display? Have you tried the color sync utility (applications -> utilities -> color sync utility)? I'm grasping at straws here, but I know I've seen this before— I just can't remember what caused it!

Okay well here's a test. Open the file on your external display in preview. Is the color still washed out? That would narrow it down to either a PS issue or a Mac issue at least.
jonnylink is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2007, 01:53 AM   #3
Belly-laughs
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Belly-laughs
Window>Proof Colors… ?
Belly-laughs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2007, 06:05 AM   #4
tominated
macrumors 68000

wow. weird. BTW: the washed out one looks better anyway
tominated is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2007, 07:41 AM   #5
emt8q5
macrumors member

Regarding the washed out one looking better, on my Macbook screen, the "washed out" looks normal and the "normal" looks over saturated/over hued, while on my external monitor's screen, the "normal" one looks normal and the washed out looks washed out.

Opening them up in preview on the external display shows the washed out and the normal. This makes me think it has to do with Apple's color, not PS.

Very strange. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the "wide color gamut" on this monitor?
Old Sep 13, 2007, 10:51 AM   #6
jerryrock
macrumors 6502

Calibrate your monitor!
jerryrock is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2007, 02:46 PM   #7
emt8q5
macrumors member

My external monitor has been calibrated. The issue only occurs with adobe products. My pictures, icons, videos, etc.. all show up the same colors on both monitors. It is only my adobe files that are weird
Old Sep 14, 2007, 05:44 AM   #8
Mac Kiwi
macrumors 6502

That does sound odd

Stab in the dark - System Prefs - displays - Colour - try both monitors on say sRGB and see if it fixes anything.
Mac Kiwi is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics