Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RumMunkey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2006
Canada
Here's a few interesting tidbits / oddities I found in the iPod touch manual at Apple's site:

-You can delete a video directly from the iPod, without having to sync to a computer. i guess this offers a quick way to free up a few hundred MBs if you want to purchase stuff from the WiFi store.

-Oddly, even with a keyboard you can't name your "on the go" playlists. I would have thought the days of the generic "on the go 1" & "on the go 2" playlists were gone with an on-screen keyboard. Stranger still, we CAN name our alarms!

-The calendar seems fairly basic. I'm no mathematician, but I assumed it would have square root, some measurement calculations, maybe even a tip calculator in some sort of presets built-in. There goes a good excuse to have ipod on your desk at school ;)

-Auto brightness sounds cool. It says it uses an ambient light sensor like my Powerbook. Neat!

-Um... there's a speaker! (kinda). It says it's an internal speaker, so I guess it's like the current ipod speaker that gives the clickclickclickclick sound to the click wheel and the beeps for alarms, but iPod touch says it also has sounds for lock & unlock, appointments and typing. I wonder if a hack will come around to change the sounds that play for these events.

-TV out remains! I know somebody here was asking about that.

-Contacts, Photos, etc are all managed under a settings tab in iTunes called "Info".

-The iPod in the manual's picture shows a capacity of 14.64 GB. Can we assume that's the true capacity of the touch before adding your material?

What have you noticed in the manual?

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
-Oddly, even with a keyboard you can't name your "on the go" playlists. I would have thought the days of the generic "on the go 1" & "on the go 2" playlists were gone with an on-screen keyboard. Stranger still, we CAN name our alarms!

Laaaaaame.

I cannot wait to hack this thing to pieces. The built-in functionality seems half-assed in so many ways.

Cepe Indicum

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2006
-The calendar seems fairly basic. I'm no mathematician, but I assumed it would have square root, some measurement calculations, maybe even a tip calculator in some sort of presets built-in. There goes a good excuse to have ipod on your desk at school ;)

I'm guessing you meant calculator there ;)

Great post, thanks! I've got a touch on order, and was wondering about some of the features you mention above (particularly the alarm), so thanks for that! I'll do some reading later...

bob5820

macrumors 6502a
Here's a few interesting tidbits / oddities I found in the iPod touch manual at Apple's site:
Great, first we learn we can't add appointments to the calendar, now we find out the calendar can't do square roots :D nice review

nouras

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2007
Auckland, New Zealand
Agreed, formatted capacity is a lil disappointing.. was hoping at the very least 14.99 hehe.. Music collection comes up to 11.89 gb which leaves just slightly less than 3gb for vids. Which is pretty reasonable since i'd probably only be putting in music vids and maybe an episode or two of some tv series from time to time.

Pretty damn hyped about the touch alright.. cant wait cant wait :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.