Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

storage

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 4, 2005
Ever since Apple revealed the new iPod line up I've been having serious issues deciding which one to get. I'm deciding between the 8GB touch, 8GB nano and 80GB classic.

I currently have a 30GB 5.5G iPod, which I mostly use for music and podcasts. I occasionally some TV-shows, but rarely a full-length movie. I think it's really nice to have all my music and videos with me all the time, but I don't think it's necessary, really.

About the touch, how good is multitouch, really? Is it more of a gimmick, or is it a genuinely great interface?

Do you feel the features of the iPod touch (8GB) are worth an extra $100 over the nano with the same capacity (or actually more, since the touch OS takes up some space)?

To those of you who already have the touch or have tried it, does it feel large when holding it? Does it easily fit in your front pocket?

Sorry for yet another of these threads (I myself is getting pretty tired of them), and thanks in advance for your help.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Lie back and take it. Insanity is teh w00t!

Seriously, have you tried using a touch? Maybe you should head into a store/reseller to see what you think... :)

rubeeen

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2007
i want the touch for the internet browser.
im not a big movie watcher on pmp's.
id rather watch movies on my laptop.

storage

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 4, 2005
Lie back and take it. Insanity is teh w00t!

Seriously, have you tried using a touch? Maybe you should head into a store/reseller to see what you think... :)
That's the problem really. I have many retailers nearby that sell iPods, but none of them have iPods that you can actually try. They just keep them for you to hold and look at, but you can't actually try them.

I was really, really exaggerating when I said I was going insane, but I have some trouble deciding.

Thanks for your reply, really appreciate it :).

i want the touch for the internet browser.
im not a big movie watcher on pmp's.
id rather watch movies on my laptop.
I was thinking the same at first, but then I thought, why would I need the Internet now, when I've been able to be without it when not at home up until now?

I'm not that big on watching movies on small devices either. But I'll watch a TV-show every now and then. And documentaries!

daemontrader

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2007
Multi-touch is not a gimmick. The interface is SO MUCH better than the nano or Classic, and you get so many more features. That said, if you need more than 16GB of space, well your decision is easy. If not, then the Touch is the one to get.

ndheah

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2007
Green Bay, WI
The thing that turned me off for the Touch was the size. I want to have at least a few seasons of shows, plus quite a bit of music and I felt the touch would not be able to hold it all.

My last iPod was the 1st Gen Mini, I have not had an MP3 player in years and I purchased the 80g Black Classic and I love it!! Everything I hoped for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.