Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chas0001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2006
Alicante, SPAIN
I think it depends on what keyboard layout you are using. Using the UK keyboard layout its ALT 2, the spanish layout its ALT U and the US its ALT + SHIFT + 2.

tuqqer

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2005
Boulder, CO
Option-shift-2 for €

Generating the euro sign on a computer depends on the operating system and national conventions. The euro symbol isn't available on all fonts, of course, but in Courier New, Times New Roman and Arial, Option-shift-2 will get it for you.

€€€€€

Tommie Montana

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2007
Here is a method to see every character you can type and it's shortcuts.

Go to system preferences, international, select the tab input (the third tab in case it's another name, I use a Dutch version so I'm not 100% sure). At the bottom, select Show Input Menu in Menu. In the list at the top, select Keybaord Display (or something like that). It's the third in the list.

In the menu on the right, you should see a flag which indicates the kind of keyboard you use, click on it and select Keyboard Display, and there you can play with shortcuts for every possible character. If your keyboard doesn't support a character, you can still find it by selecting the second in the list at your preferences (character palet?) and using that in your menubar.

I hope I've explained this good enough to help you.

jng

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 6, 2007
Germany
<slaps forehead>

Hang on, just realised – you're liable to be trying this on a German keyboard given your location. Sorry. :eek:

No worries! I'm actually using a US keyboard.

And shift + option + 2 does the trick. Wahoo! I was so tired of spelling out Euro.

Thanks again guys!

drleper

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2009
Complete list by country.

Code:
[B]Keyboard layout[/B]	[B]Keystroke combinations[/B]
Austrian	Option-Shift-D
Belgian		Option-$
British		Option-2
Catalan		Option-U
Dutch		Option-2
Finnish		Shift-4
French		Option-$
French (num)	Option -Shift-R
German		Option-E
Italian		Option-I
Italian - Pro	Option-E
Portuguese	Option-3
Spanish		Option-U
Spanish - ISO	Option-E
Swiss French	Option-E
Swiss German	Option-E
U.S.		Option-Shift-2

verygod

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2010
Euro Symbol

What that list from Apple misses off is the UK...

It's alt-2 here... although most of us prefer the good old British pound!

Complete list by country.

Code:
[B]Keyboard layout[/B]	[B]Keystroke combinations[/B]
Austrian	Option-Shift-D
Belgian		Option-$
British		Option-2
Catalan		Option-U
Dutch		Option-2
Finnish		Shift-4
French		Option-$
French (num)	Option -Shift-R
German		Option-E
Italian		Option-I
Italian - Pro	Option-E
Portuguese	Option-3
Spanish		Option-U
Spanish - ISO	Option-E
Swiss French	Option-E
Swiss German	Option-E
U.S.		Option-Shift-2

the UPS man

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2010
What that list from Apple misses off is the UK...

It's alt-2 here... although most of us prefer the good old British pound!

It depends on the keyboard layout you have. There are two alt keys using the right will give you the euro symbol using the left will give you nothing. This only seems to work in microsoft it will not work as i type. I am running windows under bootcamp in case you are wondering.

iBluey

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2010
EURO sign in Croatian layout

Here is a method to see every character you can type and it's shortcuts.

Go to system preferences, international, select the tab input (the third tab in case it's another name, I use a Dutch version so I'm not 100% sure). At the bottom, select Show Input Menu in Menu. In the list at the top, select Keybaord Display (or something like that). It's the third in the list.

In the menu on the right, you should see a flag which indicates the kind of keyboard you use, click on it and select Keyboard Display, and there you can play with shortcuts for every possible character. If your keyboard doesn't support a character, you can still find it by selecting the second in the list at your preferences (character palet?) and using that in your menubar.

I hope I've explained this good enough to help you.

Thanks Tommie for the explanation - its easy to give someone the fish, you taught us how to catch one on our own - thank you.

I'm using Croatian layout and my Keyboard viewer doesn't show EUR sign anywhere when I press ALT key. Is there some easy, system-supported option of reassigning keys visible with this Keyboard viewer? I'd like to substitute £ with EUR sign since I use eur a lot more often.

Anyone any ideas how to easily (without 3rd party apps/tools) reassign alt keys for a particular keyboard layout?

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
When in doubt, you can just open up Keyboard Viewer:

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    48 KB · Views: 2,143

rednom

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2011
€

Thank You!
and Slovak shortcut for the € mark is:

Options + R :)

Last edited:

TooCoolJuul

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2012
€ Symbol...How to do it

Alt + Shift + 2...

On your number keyboard (above the QWERTY), there are three indications.

The 2 of course,
the @
and the € sign.

Success,
TCJ

----------

When in doubt, you can just open up Keyboard Viewer:

How do I find and open Keyboard Viewer. I feel so macDUMB.:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.