Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Off of Engadget...

Atanas Boev said:
Apple Newton had a temperature sensor, to control the screen contrast, as it depended heavily on the temperature. I would expect the touch screen is somehow temperature dependant and needs correction.

PygmySurfer

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2006
Wellesley, ON
I don't think it's for the screen, like on the Newton. I'm guessing its just to monitor the device so it doesn't get too hot. Probably shuts it down if it overheats, like a PC.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2007
I don't think it's for the screen, like on the Newton. I'm guessing its just to monitor the device so it doesn't get too hot. Probably shuts it down if it overheats, like a PC.

thats on the lines of what i was thinking

naraic

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2006
All of the iPods(well since the click wheel) have had temperature sensors in the past, but they can only be read through diagnostics mode. I presume this is just to prevent damage from overheating when charging or whatever.

Check it out by holding rewind and select when the iPod is booting and it somewhere there in the diagnostics menus...

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2007
All of the iPods(well since the click wheel) have had temperature sensors in the past, but they can only be read through diagnostics mode. I presume this is just to prevent damage from overheating when charging or whatever.

Check it out by holding rewind and select when the iPod is booting and it somewhere there in the diagnostics menus...

cool! i didnt know u could do that. im gunna test it when i get out of school...*sitn here bored right now already*

billyboy73

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2007
More concerned about the Bluetooth...

I think the Thermometer is the least of that discovery... Bluetooth... That's where it's at... Headsets, transfer of data between iTouches, Skype for Mac and VOIP are all game at that point...

This is going to be an interesting couple weeks coming up as people crack these things open... :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.