Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

turiya

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
Aloha guys,

I got some good help reading through these forums, so I thought I'd pass along this tip. I'm guessing 95% of you have already worked this out, but there are *two* things that I recommend you do before using GMail on your iPhone.

On GMail:
1. Log in via a web browser on your PC.
2. At the very top of the page, on the right hand side, click the "Settings" link.
3. Click "Forwarding and POP."
4. Under "POP Download," select "Enable POP only for mail that arrives from now on."
*** Note: If you've set up POP before, you may have an older date listed where it says "Status." If you're using POP with another client (on your PC, perhaps), this may break that functionality. However, if you only use POP on your iPhone, this will prevent the iPhone from downloading older mail.

On your iPhone:
1. Touch "Settings."
2. Touch "Mail."
3. Set up your GMail account as instructed.
4. Return to the "Mail" subsection under "Settings."
5. Touch your "xxxx@gmail.com" mail account.
6. Touch "Advanced."
7. Set "Use Recent Mode" to OFF.

You should be set to use GMail. Please note that this means your iPhone will not download anything prior to when you enabled POP access -- even if it's unread! The moral of the story is that POP e-mail is archaic and should be destroyed, but still looks pretty on an iPhone.

I know the latter half of these instructions are found all over, but I hadn't found anybody suggesting the first half. Hope it helps somebody.

Racktacular

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2006
Aloha guys,

I got some good help reading through these forums, so I thought I'd pass along this tip. I'm guessing 95% of you have already worked this out, but there are *two* things that I recommend you do before using GMail on your iPhone.

On GMail:
1. Log in via a web browser on your PC.
2. At the very top of the page, on the right hand side, click the "Settings" link.
3. Click "Forwarding and POP."
4. Under "POP Download," select "Enable POP only for mail that arrives from now on."
*** Note: If you've set up POP before, you may have an older date listed where it says "Status." If you're using POP with another client (on your PC, perhaps), this may break that functionality. However, if you only use POP on your iPhone, this will prevent the iPhone from downloading older mail.

On your iPhone:
1. Touch "Settings."
2. Touch "Mail."
3. Set up your GMail account as instructed.
4. Return to the "Mail" subsection under "Settings."
5. Touch your "xxxx@gmail.com" mail account.
6. Touch "Advanced."
7. Set "Use Recent Mode" to OFF.

You should be set to use GMail. Please note that this means your iPhone will not download anything prior to when you enabled POP access -- even if it's unread! The moral of the story is that POP e-mail is archaic and should be destroyed, but still looks pretty on an iPhone.

I know the latter half of these instructions are found all over, but I hadn't found anybody suggesting the first half. Hope it helps somebody.

AWESOME! Now I don't have to mess around with forwarding mail to yahoo or AOL! Thank you so much!

Do you know if it is possible (with the above setup) to have GMail filter out specific e-mails and not send them to the iPhone, but yet have a sopy of them in the GMail server inbox? Is that possible at all?

JLatte

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2005
San Diego
turiya, great advise. I'll be doing this in the future whenever I have to restore my iPhone and don't want to delete 300+ messages from GMail.

Thanks!

elbruelsio

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2007
Perfect!

This works awesome, thanks for the advice! I had previously created a yahoo mail account to use with the iphone and I forwarded my gmail to it. That was very undesirable as yahoo makes you pay for pop access and I wanted to also use Mail.app. Now everything is working together quite intelligently, thanks!

Elbruelsio

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.