Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Sep 14, 2007, 06:29 PM   #1
fishcube
macrumors 6502

Send a message via Yahoo to fishcube
battery charge out of the box?

So, how much battery charge does the Touch have out of the box?

SK
fishcube is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2007, 06:31 PM   #2
parrotheadmjb
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishcube View Post
So, how much battery charge does the Touch have out of the box?

SK
the battery right when you buy it, or after you first charge it then use it?
parrotheadmjb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2007, 06:35 PM   #3
OrangeCuse44
macrumors 65816

im pretty sure he means immediately out of the box without charging it.
Nikon D90:18-105 VR:35mm f/1.8:Flickr Project 365 Twitter
OrangeCuse44 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2007, 06:36 PM   #4
cavemonkey50
macrumors 6502

Mine was about 80% charged. It was near full after my first sync.
cavemonkey50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2007, 06:40 PM   #5
Hoopdy
macrumors 6502

No matter how charged it is, allow it to charge fully before using. Not doing so can durastically affect it's playtime down the line.
Hoopdy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2007, 01:32 AM   #6
jacktiernan
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopdy View Post
No matter how charged it is, allow it to charge fully before using. Not doing so can durastically affect it's playtime down the line.
Is that true? I thought new batteries didn't have that issue. Can anyone 100% confirm that fact?
jacktiernan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2007, 01:43 AM   #7
pushateg7
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to pushateg7 Send a message via Yahoo to pushateg7
I thought for all rechargable batteries you had to let them completely die first before doing a full charge. For best results, at least.
pushateg7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2007, 01:48 AM   #8
Hoopdy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushateg7 View Post
I thought for all rechargable batteries you had to let them completely die first before doing a full charge. For best results, at least.
Apparantly this is only with nickel-plated batteries and not the lithium-ion batteries used in the ipod. However, laptop batteries must be fully charged before any used to reduce the possibility of the 'memory effect'.
Hoopdy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2007, 01:48 AM   #9
SkyBell
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushateg7 View Post
Eh, depends on the type of battery. (Someone post a link for this I'm tired.)
Blueberry iBook G3, Apple IIc
SkyBell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2007, 01:53 AM   #10
AppleFan08
Banned

as with cavemonkey, my iPod touch (that I am typing from now) came with about a 75-80% full battery.
AppleFan08 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2007, 04:06 AM   #11
Draythor
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktiernan View Post
Is that true? I thought new batteries didn't have that issue. Can anyone 100% confirm that fact?
Yep, my iPod Nano only charged to 80% when I first got it. I was too excited to leave it there without being used .
I've payed for it ever since with piss-poor battery life. I think the longest it ever performed was around 8-9hrs of music playback.
I'm not making that mistake again this Christmas.
Draythor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2007, 04:13 AM   #12
TonyHoyle
macrumors 6502a

If you let a lithim-ion battery drain completely you will shorten its life. Their most efficient use is frequent topups (which is handy because that's how they mostly get used anyway).

Memory effect doesn't exist on these types of batteries but they will degrade over time.. that's unavoidable. You should get at least a couple of years out of it though.
TonyHoyle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2007, 06:23 AM   #13
iCantwait
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleFan08 View Post
as with cavemonkey, my iPod touch (that I am typing from now) came with about a 75-80% full battery.
SCREW U TO HELL
i want my touch
lol
Old Sep 15, 2007, 06:28 AM   #14
Joedy
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyHoyle View Post
If you let a lithim-ion battery drain completely you will shorten its life. Their most efficient use is frequent topups (which is handy because that's how they mostly get used anyway).

Memory effect doesn't exist on these types of batteries but they will degrade over time.. that's unavoidable. You should get at least a couple of years out of it though.
I fly RC electric planes and have used Li-Ion and Li-Poly batteries for years. A typical power setup on one of my planes can pull anywhere from 10 to 30 amps! When you're working with power potentials that can easily kill you, one takes due care to learn about the technology intimately.

Draining Lithium batteries pass their low threshold (or "low voltage") point can, indeed, ruin them beyond repair. However, the firmware will stop drawing a significant pull on the battery in order to protect the battery from entering this state. Attempting to re-charge a damaged Lithium battery can result in a fire, so you can rest assured that the hardware manufacturers have this notion foremost in their mind.

Draining a Lithium battery "completely" does not imply that the remaining voltage in the battery has gone below the low voltage threshold. Rather, it implies that the lowest safe voltage (and remaining milliamp storage capacity of the battery) has been encountered. We can presume that the designers have allowed a "reasonable" amount of time for the battery to remain in this state before falling off into the dangerous low voltage point.

If the iPod designers routinely allowed the cut off point (the alarm notification in the iPod that instructs the user to re-charge the battery) to be the point where actual damage was beginning to commence within the iPod battery, not only would it be a bad design decision, it would be a safety hazard as well.

Lithium batteries don't suffer from reduced performance or the "memory effect" that plagues Nickel-Cadmium battery technology (which are rarely encountered in portable media anymore these days due to their size and weight), but one limitation of Lithium based batteries is that there is a set of "life cycles" that will determine how many times that the internal material will accept and provide electrons. While frequent charging doesn't harm a Lithium based battery, each charge does shorten the life cycle a bit.

The general prevailing notion is that if you're going to charge, you might has well make a full use of a charge instead of merely topping them off. It's a simple decision based on the economy of maximizing the life cycles. As the end of the battery life is encountered, the capacity of the battery will start to diminish and will eventually fail altogether.

Also, consider the notion that the life cycles of these batteries are on the scale of several hundreds (if not thousands) of times. By the time that the battery has truly been used to full capacity, the iPod model will have stepped to the next generation of its release.

-joedy
Joedy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2007, 06:39 AM   #15
TonyHoyle
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedy View Post
If the iPod designers routinely allowed the cut off point (the alarm notification in the iPod that instructs the user to re-charge the battery) to be the point where actual damage was beginning to commence within the iPod battery, not only would it be a bad design decision, it would be a safety hazard as well.
Damage occurs before that point.. I've been looking for the link and lost it but essentially they took batteries through charge/discharge regimes and found that if you used full cycles the battery lifetime was shortened quite considerably.

A charge cycle btw. isn't the number of times you charge it, so.. I refer you to the apple site for clarification http://www.apple.com/batteries/

"For instance, you could listen to your iPod for a few hours one day, using half its power, and then recharge it fully. If you did the same thing the next day, it would count as one charge cycle, not two, so you may take several days to complete a cycle."
TonyHoyle is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch