Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 14, 2007, 08:30 PM   #1
guru_ck
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bay Area, CA
Send a message via AIM to guru_ck
Uninstalling Growl?

So I installed Adium and as part of the package it installed Growl. I've decided that I prefer not to use Adium so I dragged the application from my Applications folder to the Trash. My question is how do I remove Growl from my system? The icon is still showing up in System Preferences...

This is one caveat I have over Windows. Apple should make an uninstaller to completely remove all necessary components.
guru_ck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2007, 08:39 PM   #2
TheAnswer
macrumors 68030
 
TheAnswer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Orange County, CA
Here you go.

Growl notifications can be used by dozens of apps, so even an uninstaller program wouldn't have clear information as to if you wanted to remove it when you delete Adium, because you may have other apps (such as iTunes or Mail) for which you want to use Growl.

Last edited by TheAnswer; Sep 14, 2007 at 08:46 PM.
TheAnswer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2007, 08:53 PM   #3
Cromulent
macrumors 603
 
Cromulent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The Land of Hope and Glory
Quote:
Originally Posted by guru_ck View Post
So I installed Adium and as part of the package it installed Growl. I've decided that I prefer not to use Adium so I dragged the application from my Applications folder to the Trash. My question is how do I remove Growl from my system? The icon is still showing up in System Preferences...

This is one caveat I have over Windows. Apple should make an uninstaller to completely remove all necessary components.
Exactly Growl can be used by lots of things. So far I use it with the following applications :

iTunes
Mail
Adium
Cyberduck
7zX
Acquisition
GarageSale
Handbrake
Max
Miro
Skype
Vienna
Xtorrent.

Personally I think it is pretty useful .
__________________
Neural Advance - Mac OS X, UNIX and Windows Development
Last.fm Profile | Extreme Metal Reviews
MP 4x 2.66Ghz Xeons / 6GB RAM / 640GB + 500GB + 750GB + 1TB HDDs / ATI Radeon 4870 / iPad 3
Cromulent is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2007, 08:57 PM   #4
guru_ck
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bay Area, CA
Send a message via AIM to guru_ck
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnswer View Post
Here you go.

Growl notifications can be used by dozens of apps, so even an uninstaller program wouldn't have clear information as to if you wanted to remove it when you delete Adium, because you may have other apps (such as iTunes or Mail) for which you want to use Growl.
Yeah I saw that when searching on Google earlier. I didn't have the folder with the uninstall script in it so I thought I'd ask here first.

I ended up reinstalling the application just so that I could uninstall it using the automated script.

Sounds like Growl is pretty useful... I actually have some entries for Transmission and Yahoo Messenger in there. I looked through the tabs but I didn't really understand it. It looks like it creates pop up windows or something?

Thanks guys. I've only owned my MBP for two days .
guru_ck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2007, 09:04 PM   #5
TheAnswer
macrumors 68030
 
TheAnswer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Orange County, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by guru_ck View Post
Sounds like Growl is pretty useful... I actually have some entries for Transmission and Yahoo Messenger in there. I looked through the tabs but I didn't really understand it. It looks like it creates pop up windows or something?.
It creates little pop up notifications. For example, when iTunes switches songs or when you receive new mail (using the Growltunes and Growlmail additions). I'm guessing the Transmission one will tell you when a file finishes downloading and the Yahoo one can tell you who comes online, etc.
TheAnswer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2007, 10:50 PM   #6
reubs
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
I'd recommend leaving Growl there for a little while. It's a pretty harmless application that doesn't do much, but it's nice to have it there for when you do need it.
reubs is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2008, 02:23 PM   #7
ithuwakaga
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
This is how you remove Growl.

http://growl.info/documentation/grow...ge-removal.php

Don't let the computer boss you around. If you want to remove something, you should be able to remove it. Saying "it is nice to have it there when you need it" when you don't actually need it means you don't have any clue on how to remove it, and you've given up attempting to remove it.
ithuwakaga is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2008, 11:11 PM   #8
marcre
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: East coast
hey, I just noticed I have this app in my system preferences. Any idea how it got there? I looked at it online, I am not even sure what it does. Any easy answer on why it is here and what it does?

Thanks.
__________________
iMac 20" aluminum 2 GB ram;
30GB 5.5 iPod; 16GB 4S
ATV2; TC 500GB
marcre is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2008, 01:14 AM   #9
lgldsr
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromulent View Post
Exactly Growl can be used by lots of things. So far I use it with the following applications :

iTunes
Mail
Adium
Cyberduck
7zX
Acquisition
GarageSale
Handbrake
Max
Miro
Skype
Vienna
Xtorrent.

Personally I think it is pretty useful .
Stuffit uses Growl as well.
lgldsr is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2009, 08:42 AM   #10
MetaSteve
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by ithuwakaga View Post
This is how you remove Growl.

http://growl.info/documentation/grow...ge-removal.php

Don't let the computer boss you around. If you want to remove something, you should be able to remove it. Saying "it is nice to have it there when you need it" when you don't actually need it means you don't have any clue on how to remove it, and you've given up attempting to remove it.
This script does not work. It is asking to locate something called "GrowlHelper.app"
MetaSteve is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2009, 11:41 AM   #11
smakdaddy321
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Uninstalling Growl


Perfect Answer - Very Simple
Thanks for the help.

==================
ithuwakaga
macrumors newbie

Join Date: Aug 2008
This is how you remove Growl.

http://growl.info/documentation/grow...ge-removal.php

Don't let the computer boss you around. If you want to remove something, you should be able to remove it. Saying "it is nice to have it there when you need it" when you don't actually need it means you don't have any clue on how to remove it, and you've given up attempting to remove it
smakdaddy321 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2009, 12:31 PM   #12
odej98
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
One of my absolute biggest complaints about windows is a @#$%^ bubble popping up giving me notifications about stuff I know I already did.

Growl is completely unacceptable on my mac.
Growl HAS GOT TO GO!
__________________
20"iMac 2.66/320/2gb -
If it says I must use IE to view this page, I just take my business elsewhere
odej98 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2010, 06:34 AM   #13
MikiV6
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Re: Growl

This application should NOT be installed as a third party app by any application. Not only is it an insult to one's intelligence, but the amout of memory this thing consumes, beggers belief. Here we have yet another 'Messenger' application that will deliver untold garbage to your desktop, as Messenger did in the Windows system.

I do not need to be told on every occasion of what I am doing on my computer. Had I wanted to install this application, I would have gone to the website and downloaded it, then installed it.

The fact that it is being installed as a third party app by other applications like Tweetie makes my blood run cold.

As to the Reubs, this application is not exactly harmless. Its a process hog that will spam your desktop at every given opportunity, and it is unnecessary for the running of your computer.

People get rid of this insidious piece of trash and keep a look out in case it is installed by any other applications.

To the makers of this software I'd say: *^@* Off

Rant over.
MikiV6 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2010, 11:01 AM   #14
applephysci
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: CA
If you follow the instructions mentioned on the link above from the Growl website, it only gets rid of this preference pane:
/Users/~user name~/Library/PreferencePanes/Growl.prefPane

If you really want to COMPLETELY get rid of Growl, get rid of these folders as well:
/Users/~user name~/Library/Caches/com.Growl.GrowlHelperApp
/Users/~user name~/Library/Preferences/com.Growl.GrowlHelperApp.plist
/Users/~user name~/Library/Application Support/Growl
__________________
Think beyond horizons

Macbook Pro (OS X 10.8.2), iPhone 5 (iOS 6), iPad 3 (iOS 6)
applephysci is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2010, 07:59 PM   #15
Raggy
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: London, UK
Thank Gawd for this forum - been wanting to get rid of this thing. I reckon if you install Adium it gets on there somehow. Yuk. Thank goodness its gone.
Raggy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2010, 09:11 AM   #16
allan.nyholm
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Denmark
Send a message via AIM to allan.nyholm Send a message via Skype™ to allan.nyholm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
Thank Gawd for this forum - been wanting to get rid of this thing. I reckon if you install Adium it gets on there somehow. Yuk. Thank goodness its gone.
Adium asks you if you want to install it if you do not change the Events preferences to Audio Notifications. I think the official Dropbox release installs it without asking or maybe only if you tell it to. Look at http://www.growl.info for information as to why you may have Growl on your system without knowing. I recently uninstalled it too because I found it useless to me. I got more and more upset at those notifications. Even despite me turning them off from within Growl some new app would hook onto Growl and give me popups. I didn't want that hassle.

Great for some I guess.
allan.nyholm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2012, 06:06 AM   #17
baadtaste
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Norway
Growl uninstaller does NOT uninstall Growl

Quote:
Originally Posted by applephysci View Post
If you follow the instructions mentioned on the link above from the Growl website, it only gets rid of this preference pane:
/Users/~user name~/Library/PreferencePanes/Growl.prefPane

If you really want to COMPLETELY get rid of Growl, get rid of these folders as well:
/Users/~user name~/Library/Caches/com.Growl.GrowlHelperApp
/Users/~user name~/Library/Preferences/com.Growl.GrowlHelperApp.plist
/Users/~user name~/Library/Application Support/Growl
This is what you have to do. The Growl uninstaller does NOT uninstall Growl.
Thank you applephysci
baadtaste is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 09:34 AM   #18
PlaceboAddress
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Blue Marble
Finished

I tried contacting Growl via twitter because I couldnt find any "real" contact info on their site. They just referred me to a supposed contact page & IGNORED my question. Why not just answer the question on twitter?!?

Anyway... the whole reason I contacted them was because, now they've tacked a FEE onto the end user. WHAT? I could care less about their little notification I see every once in a blue moon that either they've implemented or a developer has implemented into their software. Why would I pay for that?

So for me... it's coming off, too!!
PlaceboAddress is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 01:04 PM   #19
mactheworld671
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
uninstall growl

do yourself a favour and get "Mac Keeper" uninstalls everything you want easily. Sure it wasn't created by apple and you'll have to spend money for it, but it makes up for all the other crap you have to buy for windows, plus it works really well and support is awesome.
mactheworld671 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 09:06 AM   #20
ScoobyMcDoo
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by mactheworld671 View Post
do yourself a favour and get "Mac Keeper" uninstalls everything you want easily. Sure it wasn't created by apple and you'll have to spend money for it, but it makes up for all the other crap you have to buy for windows, plus it works really well and support is awesome.
Hmmm... just signed up today to necropost an advertisement. I wonder who you work for.

Anyway, growl web site specifically says mac keeper doesn't work worth a crap for removing growl.
__________________
A pessimist is really an optimist with experience.
ScoobyMcDoo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2014, 09:04 AM   #21
TrollDoll
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Good advice on Growl Uninstall

Quote:
Originally Posted by applephysci View Post
If you follow the instructions mentioned on the link above from the Growl website, it only gets rid of this preference pane:
/Users/~user name~/Library/PreferencePanes/Growl.prefPane

If you really want to COMPLETELY get rid of Growl, get rid of these folders as well:
/Users/~user name~/Library/Caches/com.Growl.GrowlHelperApp
/Users/~user name~/Library/Preferences/com.Growl.GrowlHelperApp.plist
/Users/~user name~/Library/Application Support/Growl
Thanks applephysci! The pop-ups for updates for this program which I didn't even install were really beginning to bug me--as well as knowing something had been added to my computer without my knowledge.
TrollDoll is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2014, 10:18 AM   #22
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
If you elect to use uninstaller apps, be aware that in most cases, app removal software doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this and this. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job.
The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:
Best way to FULLY DELETE a program
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Should I install Growl? Arv3n Mac Basics and Help 4 Dec 20, 2012 01:34 PM
Growl 2.0 Help Rossagues Mac Applications and Mac App Store 4 Sep 21, 2012 07:22 PM
Issue of Growl seanxwong OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 0 Aug 26, 2012 02:25 PM
Growl App chrisemac Mac Applications and Mac App Store 2 Jul 18, 2012 06:21 AM
Growl without mail running thechadmartinez Mac Applications and Mac App Store 0 Jun 10, 2012 11:00 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:59 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC