Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djinn

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 4, 2003
Anyone know any good Book Writing software for Mac?

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
Seem to be a good variety out there on any basic search for writers-publishers.

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    90.5 KB · Views: 2,045

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Microsoft Word seems to be a staple of authors and editors, in my experience. And I typeset and design a lot of publications. Style-sheets can be imported along with the text matter.

Any of the apps listed by xsedrinam should be OK depending what the style of publication is as long as they can export a clean RTF file. For instance, scientific writing can be done with LaTex.

Don't expect a good writing and editing tool to be the same as an app designed for small to medium-sized typesetting such as QuarkXpress or InDesign. Typesetting huge publications and directories tends to be done on more bespoke systems.

daceymathers

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2011
newyork

I think scrivener is a good software for mac.Scrivener is a word-processing program designed for writers. Scrivener provides a management system for documents, notes and metadata. This allows the user to keep track of notes, concepts, research and whole documents for reference

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
voodoopad, evernote, text wrangler, etc. the more crap you can do with it, the less you'll probably write. unless you have a lot of footnotes or other complex formatting, in which case word will serve you best, just keep it simple.

i prefer evernote, because it is the best at syncing.

if you want a personal wiki, voodoopad is hands down the best software available for windows or mac. its internal linking capabilities really make it shine.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
Word , bookends,papers 2.0 and OmniOutliner should cover all your needs

if you are a researcher, bookends is great. i use it every day. but, it comes at a steep price :(

i don't like word. i use it, of course, but i find it is best for things that are already pretty well organized (final drafts) and not terribly conducive to creativity in the early stages.

not a big fan of omni outliner. it's a bit pricey as well.

evernote premium is $5 a month. that's 1GB of uploads each month. it's cumulative, so by the end of a year you have 12GB of stuff there, accessible from anything (mainly my ipad) and full of features.

admittedly, it doesn't have a lot of the layout features you might need for a final draft, but that's what i think word is for.

exegete77

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
Strong advocate for Scrivener. I use it for sermon prep and also editing a magazine. Top notch software, great developer and attitude, with responsive forum.

blipmusic

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2011
Don't expect a good writing and editing tool to be the same as an app designed for small to medium-sized typesetting [...] For instance, scientific writing can be done with LaTex.

LaTeX (preferably XeTeX) is kind of both, though. Problem could be for many that looking at their text dispruted by code blurbs might be creatively counter productive. A few years ago XeTeX type setting (with the fontspec package) also produced much neater looking typography than Word but Microsoft's app has no doubt progressed as well during that time. Though, that's more of an issue for designers of course.

I have been looking for an easy way to convert markdown to latex in order to use iA Writer (sorry, I can't help it but I love writing in that app, pricing be damned) and then move over to my latex setup afterwards.

Does anyone happen to know an easy way to accomplish this? There's Pandoc but I was hoping for a simple to install app with a GUI...

For a pure writer's tool Scrivener has already been mentioned. Ulysses seems to be another [EDIT: Ooops, mentioned as well, sorry.]. Both seem to priced reasonably for both full and part time writers.

victoria stiles

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2011
Dramatica Pro is the ultimate creative writing companion and one of our highest ranked products. This program is stacked with great features and allows you to determine and organize every aspect of your story before you ever begin to write. You can easily switch between different story guide paths, allowing you to achieve your maximum writing potential. And I am sure it will be compatible with your system.

garycurtis

macrumors 6502
This is a pretty old thread. But, does the OP have need advice about writing/composition, or about publishing and digital output?

I am just beginning a book on Apache healing and asked a friend who serves 400 attorney clients with document input, formatting, output. She suggested simply using Word and stuffing each chapter into a separate folder, then compiling them when done.

exegete77

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
This is a pretty old thread. But, does the OP have need advice about writing/composition, or about publishing and digital output?

I am just beginning a book on Apache healing and asked a friend who serves 400 attorney clients with document input, formatting, output. She suggested simply using Word and stuffing each chapter into a separate folder, then compiling them when done.

Not a wise move.

Scrivener allows you to import all documents into its research folder. Then you can move and access them as you write and rearrange. Very simple.

Check out theScrivener Forums, looking not only at the Technical, but check the “Zen of Scrivener” for usage scenarios.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.