Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ekon32

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2007
I'm relatively new to the Mac world, and don't know much about how Apple does marketing. What I want to know is, When Apple releases its new operating system next month, do you think they will also release some new laptop and desktop to go with it, or maybe lower prices to propagate sales?

MattJessop

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2007
Manchester, UK
As is the case with Apple very strict security, it's hard to tell until the actual date.

They have been known to release products in the past to coincide with such events, and many expect the new MacBook Pros to be released in October/November. But we'll never know.

It may end up that nothing is released, and so you just waited 2 months for nothing. But buy now and you may risk losing out on the upgrades. What you have to ask yourself is, is the time difference for buying products worth the increased specs?

lord patton

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Chicago
As MattJessop said, no one knows.

I'm betting on the introduction of at least one new laptop; specifically, a small (12" or 13") MBP—its high-resolution screen, dedicated graphics, and Santa Rosa chipset will differentiate it from the MacBook.

I also think they're crazy not to have a 15" notebook that lists for under $2000, so maybe they'll release a 15" MacBook.

Mr. B

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2005
Also remember the macbooks have not been updated for some time now, and other computers (such as the mac pros and mac minis) have only gotten incremental upgrades.

It's really very possible that apple will use the new os announcment to break out some hardware too, it will also help maximize the amount of media coverage.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
The only computers that are due an update are the Mac Pros and the Xserves. If they do not get upgraded I am sure a lot of people will be angry.

The Macbooks and the Macbook Pros are fine as they are.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.