Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Aug 19, 2003, 07:34 AM   #1
Vlade
macrumors 6502a

PC Fan Question

I usually leave my computer on overnight for FOLDING@HOME and to download stuff, but the fan seams so load. I put my hand next to it, and the air isn't that warm compared to my friends Celeron 2.2GHZ. I was wondering if it would be OK to take off the side panel on the case and turn off one of the fans (I have 3, the CPU, Power Supply, and an extra case fan), probably the case fan. Any suggestions?
Vlade is offline   0
Old Aug 19, 2003, 07:47 AM   #2
edesignuk
Moderator emeritus

I would say no! You MUST have a fan running on the CPU, and the PSU, and to be honest you should have at least 2 case fans running at all times anyway (I have 7 case fans!). Folding will have your CPU running @ 100% so it will be giving off a lot of heat.
Old Aug 19, 2003, 10:55 AM   #3
Vlade
macrumors 6502a

My room never goes higher than 70, and the case would be 100% open on both sides, so the case fan wouldn't be doing anything would it? I of course plan on leaving the CPU fan and the PSU fan on, but their not the loud ones.
Vlade is offline   0
Old Aug 19, 2003, 12:24 PM   #4
simX
macrumors 6502a

Leaving the doors of your computer off does not necessarily mean that the components will get cooler. As in the case of the G5, taking the door and side plastic panel off will actually cause the G5 to start overheating, and therefore if the plastic panel is taken off, the G5 will automatically go to sleep.

I'd go with leaving the fans in as well. If they're there, then they must've been put in for a reason.
Old Aug 19, 2003, 01:23 PM   #5
Rezet
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Rezet
Re: PC Fan Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Vlade
I usually leave my computer on overnight for FOLDING@HOME and to download stuff, but the fan seams so load. I put my hand next to it, and the air isn't that warm compared to my friends Celeron 2.2GHZ. I was wondering if it would be OK to take off the side panel on the case and turn off one of the fans (I have 3, the CPU, Power Supply, and an extra case fan), probably the case fan. Any suggestions?

Dude, what do you get for all this folding crap? I mean do they pay your anything or give you discounts or whatever. Seems abit strange getting a comp just for folding and doing it for the "kicks". And I'm not even sure what kicks....

And what problem are you working on right now?
Rezet is offline   0
Old Aug 19, 2003, 01:38 PM   #6
srobert
macrumors 68020

Unhappy Re: Re: PC Fan Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Rezet
Dude, what do you get for all this folding crap? I mean do they pay your anything or give you discounts or whatever.
Not the altruist type aren'nt ya.
srobert is offline   0
Old Aug 19, 2003, 03:44 PM   #7
Vlade
macrumors 6502a

Re: Re: PC Fan Question

Quote:
Dude, what do you get for all this folding crap? I mean do they pay your anything or give you discounts or whatever. Seems abit strange getting a comp just for folding and doing it for the "kicks". And I'm not even sure what kicks....

lmao! I didn't buy the computer for folding, thats crazy! I use the computer during the day for gaming and things my mac can't do, and while I sleep I leave it on to fold.
Vlade is offline   0
Old Aug 19, 2003, 04:03 PM   #8
hvfsl
macrumors 68000

Re: Re: PC Fan Question

Quote:

People use folding as a status simbol, like most thngs in life. The aim is to get as many folding points as posible then show off about it. I tried it for a few hours while I went out, but it didn't even get to 0.5% on my AMD 2500XP so I gave up as there are better things I could have done with the proccessing time, like rendering one of my 3D models which can take a few hours.
hvfsl is offline   0
Old Aug 19, 2003, 04:22 PM   #9
Powerbook G5
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to Powerbook G5 Send a message via Yahoo to Powerbook G5
I personally think folding could be more than just a status symbol. I mean, I'll take myself for an example. I am sitting on my computer for 10 hours working on a 15 page term paper...I am using Appleworks...now, typing up a paper is not going to be using much of the power of my G4 system...I have all this processing power just sitting there doing nothing. If I were folding, then my G4 is actually doing something worthwhile as I am typing up my paper. As one individual person, you aren't going to make much of a difference with folding, but when you are a part of a large community who is folding, suddenly, that collective amount actually makes a dent and all that processing power is used in order to help calculate and crunch (or whatever they do) and make a difference in the medical sciences. I for one feel like this is a reasonable endeaver, and even if I may not fold a whole lot on my own, I can at least be a part of the vast collective who can make a difference. Plus, we can kick some ass for team Macrumors!
Old Aug 19, 2003, 05:18 PM   #10
Rezet
macrumors 6502a

Well I really don't know anything about folding so I'm not even gonna argue about anything...
Although I have seen a thread where some guy said he bought DUAL 1.25 G4 just for folding....
Rezet is offline   0
Old Aug 19, 2003, 05:32 PM   #11
Powerbook G5
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to Powerbook G5 Send a message via Yahoo to Powerbook G5
Either he was joking or he is lucky enough to have that kind of money to just buy a dual G4 as an impulse kind of item...if I had money to just throw around, I'd be driving to school in a Porsche turbo.
Old Aug 19, 2003, 08:13 PM   #12
Vlade
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Well I really don't know anything about folding so I'm not even gonna argue about anything...
Although I have seen a thread where some guy said he bought DUAL 1.25 G4 just for folding....
I don't believe that for a second, first off if someone was that dumb they would get a PC not a mac for folding, because they are about 3X as fast per MHZ, and with the MHZ gap that means about 10X as fast at folding.

I actually asked that question in the folding forum, and nobody there has ever heard of someone buying a computer for folding.

Quote:
People use folding as a status simbol
I'm not, I agree with PowerBook G5. When I leave my computer on at night its also for KaZaa, I'm basically always downloading something, right now I'm working on all the episodes of the simpsons, why let 95% of your CPU cycles go to waste.

Quote:
but it didn't even get to 0.5% on my AMD 2500XP so I gave up as there are better things I could have done with the proccessing time, like rendering one of my 3D models which can take a few hours.
You did something wrong, my AthlonXP 2200 gets on average 7% of a WU an hour. And Folding takes only the IDLE cpu time, so if your rendering one of those 3D models you do, it will get all of your CPU time while folding takes none
Vlade is offline   0
Old Aug 19, 2003, 09:22 PM   #13
Rezet
macrumors 6502a

Dude, it was in a folding forum. I checked it out like a month ago. Not sure If I have a patience to search for it right now...

But I think TAZO replied to that same thread saying it was crazy to get a comp for just those purposes. You can ask him.
Rezet is offline   0
Old Aug 19, 2003, 11:04 PM   #14
catalyst
macrumors newbie

back to the fans

you can replace the fans with a quiet fans. You can also get fans with a sensors that variate the speed depending on the cooling needs.
catalyst is offline   0
Old Aug 20, 2003, 07:02 AM   #15
Vlade
macrumors 6502a

Re: back to the fans

Quote:
Originally posted by catalyst
you can replace the fans with a quiet fans. You can also get fans with a sensors that variate the speed depending on the cooling needs.
Thats probably what I will do, I should have done that in the first place
Vlade is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers