Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vlade

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 2, 2003
Meadville, PA
I usually leave my computer on overnight for FOLDING@HOME and to download stuff, but the fan seams so load. I put my hand next to it, and the air isn't that warm compared to my friends Celeron 2.2GHZ. I was wondering if it would be OK to take off the side panel on the case and turn off one of the fans (I have 3, the CPU, Power Supply, and an extra case fan), probably the case fan. Any suggestions?

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
I would say no! You MUST have a fan running on the CPU, and the PSU, and to be honest you should have at least 2 case fans running at all times anyway (I have 7 case fans!). Folding will have your CPU running @ 100% so it will be giving off a lot of heat.

Vlade

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 2, 2003
Meadville, PA
My room never goes higher than 70°, and the case would be 100% open on both sides, so the case fan wouldn't be doing anything would it? I of course plan on leaving the CPU fan and the PSU fan on, but their not the loud ones.

simX

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2002
Bay Area, CA
Leaving the doors of your computer off does not necessarily mean that the components will get cooler. As in the case of the G5, taking the door and side plastic panel off will actually cause the G5 to start overheating, and therefore if the plastic panel is taken off, the G5 will automatically go to sleep.

I'd go with leaving the fans in as well. If they're there, then they must've been put in for a reason.

Rezet

macrumors 6502a
Re: PC Fan Question

Originally posted by Vlade
I usually leave my computer on overnight for FOLDING@HOME and to download stuff, but the fan seams so load. I put my hand next to it, and the air isn't that warm compared to my friends Celeron 2.2GHZ. I was wondering if it would be OK to take off the side panel on the case and turn off one of the fans (I have 3, the CPU, Power Supply, and an extra case fan), probably the case fan. Any suggestions?

Dude, what do you get for all this folding crap? I mean do they pay your anything or give you discounts or whatever. Seems abit strange getting a comp just for folding and doing it for the "kicks". And I'm not even sure what kicks.... :)

And what problem are you working on right now? :)

srobert

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2002
Re: Re: PC Fan Question

Originally posted by Rezet
Dude, what do you get for all this folding crap? I mean do they pay your anything or give you discounts or whatever.

Not the altruist type aren'nt ya.

Vlade

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 2, 2003
Meadville, PA

Dude, what do you get for all this folding crap? I mean do they pay your anything or give you discounts or whatever. Seems abit strange getting a comp just for folding and doing it for the "kicks". And I'm not even sure what kicks.... :)

lmao! I didn't buy the computer for folding, thats crazy! I use the computer during the day for gaming and things my mac can't do, and while I sleep I leave it on to fold.

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK

People use folding as a status simbol, like most thngs in life. The aim is to get as many folding points as posible then show off about it. I tried it for a few hours while I went out, but it didn't even get to 0.5% on my AMD 2500XP so I gave up as there are better things I could have done with the proccessing time, like rendering one of my 3D models which can take a few hours.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
I personally think folding could be more than just a status symbol. I mean, I'll take myself for an example. I am sitting on my computer for 10 hours working on a 15 page term paper...I am using Appleworks...now, typing up a paper is not going to be using much of the power of my G4 system...I have all this processing power just sitting there doing nothing. If I were folding, then my G4 is actually doing something worthwhile as I am typing up my paper. As one individual person, you aren't going to make much of a difference with folding, but when you are a part of a large community who is folding, suddenly, that collective amount actually makes a dent and all that processing power is used in order to help calculate and crunch (or whatever they do) and make a difference in the medical sciences. I for one feel like this is a reasonable endeaver, and even if I may not fold a whole lot on my own, I can at least be a part of the vast collective who can make a difference. Plus, we can kick some ass for team Macrumors!

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
Either he was joking or he is lucky enough to have that kind of money to just buy a dual G4 as an impulse kind of item...if I had money to just throw around, I'd be driving to school in a Porsche turbo. :cool:

Vlade

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 2, 2003
Meadville, PA
Well I really don't know anything about folding so I'm not even gonna argue about anything...
Although I have seen a thread where some guy said he bought DUAL 1.25 G4 just for folding....

I don't believe that for a second, first off if someone was that dumb they would get a PC not a mac for folding, because they are about 3X as fast per MHZ, and with the MHZ gap that means about 10X as fast at folding.

I actually asked that question in the folding forum, and nobody there has ever heard of someone buying a computer for folding.

People use folding as a status simbol

I'm not, I agree with PowerBook G5. When I leave my computer on at night its also for KaZaa, I'm basically always downloading something, right now I'm working on all the episodes of the simpsons, why let 95% of your CPU cycles go to waste.

but it didn't even get to 0.5% on my AMD 2500XP so I gave up as there are better things I could have done with the proccessing time, like rendering one of my 3D models which can take a few hours.

You did something wrong, my AthlonXP 2200 gets on average 7% of a WU an hour. And Folding takes only the IDLE cpu time, so if your rendering one of those 3D models you do, it will get all of your CPU time while folding takes none

Rezet

macrumors 6502a
Dude, it was in a folding forum. I checked it out like a month ago. Not sure If I have a patience to search for it right now...

But I think TAZO replied to that same thread saying it was crazy to get a comp for just those purposes. You can ask him.

catalyst

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2003
back to the fans

you can replace the fans with a quiet fans. You can also get fans with a sensors that variate the speed depending on the cooling needs.

Vlade

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 2, 2003
Meadville, PA
Re: back to the fans

Originally posted by catalyst
you can replace the fans with a quiet fans. You can also get fans with a sensors that variate the speed depending on the cooling needs.

Thats probably what I will do, I should have done that in the first place :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.