Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 15, 2007, 05:45 PM   #1
tomrinny
macrumors member

Question about iPhone on T-mobile Prepaid

If I buy an iPhone, and unlock it, will I be able to use EDGE on T-mobile Prepaid? I know that it has T-zones on normal phones, that cant normally get around the restrictions. I have seen a couple of reports that you can get around it on the iPhone though. So, is anyone using an iPhone on prepaid T-mobile that can help me out?
tomrinny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2007, 08:10 PM   #2
tomrinny
macrumors member

bump
Old Sep 17, 2007, 08:18 PM   #3
ivi7
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrinny View Post
If I buy an iPhone, and unlock it, will I be able to use EDGE on T-mobile Prepaid? I know that it has T-zones on normal phones, that cant normally get around the restrictions. I have seen a couple of reports that you can get around it on the iPhone though. So, is anyone using an iPhone on prepaid T-mobile that can help me out?
T-mobile has the unlimitted internet package for $19.99, if that works with the prepaid connection then you could use Edge for the Iphone.
ivi7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2007, 05:12 PM   #4
marioman38
macrumors 6502a

can you add the $5.99 tzones to a prepaid?
marioman38 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2007, 04:14 PM   #5
tomrinny
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marioman38 View Post
can you add the $5.99 tzones to a prepaid?
Prepaid on t-mobile comes with unlimited tzones at no extra cost.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 04:20 PM   #6
daysleeper
macrumors member

Quote:
Prepaid on t-mobile comes with unlimited tzones at no extra cost.
The "unlimited t-zones" is just for shopping for ringtones and wallpapers and stuff.

I've been looking into this, and I can't see any way to add a data plan to t-mobile prepaid.
daysleeper is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2007, 04:31 PM   #7
tomrinny
macrumors member

Yeah, but ive been wondering if THIS
would work with prepaid.
Old Sep 20, 2007, 03:15 PM   #8
tomrinny
macrumors member

Anyone?
Old Sep 20, 2007, 06:43 PM   #9
aerospace
macrumors 6502a

from all the info i've seen so far it does not work...yet.

not sure if someone can make it work in the future. there are a few prepaid plans that offer internet but youll pay 30/mo. if you want net and prepaid i suggest at&t prepaid until another solution comes along.
aerospace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2007, 07:42 PM   #10
tashafa
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by daysleeper View Post
The "unlimited t-zones" is just for shopping for ringtones and wallpapers and stuff.

I've been looking into this, and I can't see any way to add a data plan to t-mobile prepaid.
t-zones gets you everything you pay for with at&t (with a little hacking) except seraching on youtube, but u can download and watch videos.
tashafa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2007, 12:16 AM   #11
rydan
macrumors newbie

I use T-mobile prepaid and sell these phones on eBay (see user rydan313). I can tell you that EDGE doesn't work even with that $5.99 hack. I read online blogs that indicated it would have been possible in the past but they fixed the loophole for prepaid.

You get no access to T-zones so no strange text games, ringtones, refills, etc. Everything else works great except Visual Voicemail. Dial #999# and it shows a cool looking screen telling you how many minutes you have left.
rydan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2007, 11:30 AM   #12
tomrinny
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydan View Post
I use T-mobile prepaid and sell these phones on eBay (see user rydan313). I can tell you that EDGE doesn't work even with that $5.99 hack. I read online blogs that indicated it would have been possible in the past but they fixed the loophole for prepaid.

You get no access to T-zones so no strange text games, ringtones, refills, etc. Everything else works great except Visual Voicemail. Dial #999# and it shows a cool looking screen telling you how many minutes you have left.
WOW, are people really buying your WAY overpriced Unlocked iPhones? Man, the general public is stupid.
Old Sep 22, 2007, 12:46 PM   #13
acrafton
macrumors regular

Quote:
WOW, are people really buying your WAY overpriced Unlocked iPhones? Man, the general public is stupid.
Dude, the guy is trying to help you out and answer your question and you insult him?

For the non-technical user or someone who doesn't want to bother with the unlocks, the price is very reasonable. If you don't want to buy one of his, don't but don't knock someone helping you.
acrafton is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2007, 01:12 PM   #14
tomrinny
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrafton View Post
Dude, the guy is trying to help you out and answer your question and you insult him?

For the non-technical user or someone who doesn't want to bother with the unlocks, the price is very reasonable. If you don't want to buy one of his, don't but don't knock someone helping you.
I DO appriciate the help. Where did I insult him? I insulted the people buying the phones from him. Anyone buying a 4gb iPhone for $480, unlocked or not, needs to be insulted.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 01:25 PM   #15
applepimp
macrumors newbie

I have a t-mobile mda with a prepaid sim in it. There is no official way to get internet on t-mobile prepaid unless you have a sidekick. T-mobile does offer unlimited internet and text messaging (prepaid) on the sidekick for a dollar a day. I've tried to get t-mobile to give me that plan with my mda but that plan requires the sim id number from a sidekick. I've wondered if I had a sim from a prepaid sidekick would do the trick... Haven't figured out to do it yet though
applepimp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2007, 12:13 AM   #16
rydan
macrumors newbie

Quote:
I DO appriciate the help. Where did I insult him? I insulted the people buying the phones from him. Anyone buying a 4gb iPhone for $480, unlocked or not, needs to be insulted.
Most of the people buying from me are from overseas so it could be a combination of not having English their primary language and the fact the iPhone is not available in their country. Then again considering the rate the dollar is falling, $480 may not be that much elsewhere.

Anyway I did use the proxy settings that the $5.99 plan requires and I finally got T-zones working. You need to use the URL http://wap.t-zones.com . Still no internet and I wouldn't expect it.
rydan is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone