Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Sep 15, 2007, 06:14 PM   #1
Velmonk
macrumors newbie

MBP Brightness Fluctuation

I just got a new 15" MBP and it keeps changing the screen brightness by a couple notches either way on it's own. Anyone have/heard of this problem? Any ideas? Thanks..
Velmonk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2007, 06:16 PM   #2
Veritas&Equitas
macrumors 68000

Is it one of the new SR models or an older one? My old 2.16 ghz MBP screen would flicker when it was in the lower brightness levels quite a bit....very annoying
Old Sep 15, 2007, 06:21 PM   #3
chopstick2000
macrumors newbie

it seems to me you have it set for the brightness to automatically change when ambient light changes... this is a stupid setting imo, because it changes randomly even when the actual light doesnt appear to change.. so whatever.

anyway, to turn this 'feature' off, System Preferences > Display > then uncheck the "Automatically adjust brightness as ambient light changes".
chopstick2000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2007, 06:32 PM   #4
Cybergypsy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopstick2000 View Post
it seems to me you have it set for the brightness to automatically change when ambient light changes... this is a stupid setting imo, because it changes randomly even when the actual light doesnt appear to change.. so whatever.

anyway, to turn this 'feature' off, System Preferences > Display > then uncheck the "Automatically adjust brightness as ambient light changes".
Yep sounds like that
Cybergypsy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2007, 07:05 PM   #5
theman
macrumors 6502a

yeah, especially if you stick your hands over the light sensors. Also, if you have a light behind you, and move your body and block the light or unblock the light from shining on the mbp, it will change the brightness.

just go to system preferences and change it.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

dots/.
theman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2007, 07:19 PM   #6
CalBoy
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopstick2000 View Post

Yes, this does seem to be what's going on. I disabled this within the first few minutes of getting mine; it drove me crazy.
CalBoy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2007, 06:15 PM   #7
Velmonk
macrumors newbie

sorted

thanks! what an annoying setting.
i can't imagine who would want that.
Velmonk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2007, 09:08 PM   #8
CalBoy
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velmonk View Post
thanks! what an annoying setting.
i can't imagine who would want that.
Its heart is in the right place...it just doesn't work out well. Kind of like you little brother/sister; they mean well, but in the end, all they do is make a mess.
CalBoy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2010, 04:13 AM   #9
zappastean
macrumors newbie

Question Brightness display button fluctuates in brightness & saturation rhythmically.

My MBP/160GB is nearly 1 year old now, I have been in Mexico City for 4 days now. I mention this because I've never experienced these goings on & big time crashes ever in the 10 years of my Mac experience whilst traveling & surfing in many countries.
Don't get me wrong,I love Mexico City, its gorgeous! Still, fact is since arriving very strange things have began to happen!
Three examples;Day1; Ambient Brightness Blue Display button fluctuates rhythmically in saturation & brightness BUT only when the option "Automatically adjust brightness as ambient light changes" is on.
I've always had this option on & its never caused me any bother.
Day 2; my MBP's worst ever crash, after re-booting, the fluctuating screen contrast began... a real roller coaster! There was no change in the surrounding ambient light.
Lastly; if the said option is turned on, the round blue brightness indicator on the control bar in SystemPrefs/Display, fluctuates in saturation & brightness rhythmically.
If any1 read all this, thanx 4 "bearing with me"... what do you think is going on? WHAT TO DO ?

Last edited by zappastean; Nov 3, 2010 at 04:16 AM. Reason: Im a newbie, should this be a new thread? Thanx in advance.
zappastean is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2010, 07:02 AM   #10
aimbdd
macrumors 6502a

Just turn off light sensor. See if that helps.
aimbdd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2010, 09:45 AM   #11
zappastean
macrumors newbie

Thumbs up Sorted, many thanx

As said, the screen fluctuations seem to have stopped.
Thanx for getting in touch & answering aimbdd.
I dont wanna sound ungrateful but I will, lol.

Ive been using Macs lets say, too much for over 10 years now,
so although not being the brightest spark,
I am at least a little experienced.
So thats just what I did, turned the light sensor off & the fluctuations stopped.

I wonder why these things things were never a problem b4 the THE CRASH & Re-Boot?

Now my keyboard has stopped reacting to low light,
although the "illuminate keyboard in low light conditions" button is still on, in System Prefs/Keyboard.

I do go on,
& on.....
so, Im off to the AZTEC museum then going to the fun fair near "Papalote" there are some crazy ides there.
have a good day y'all
Old Nov 4, 2010, 10:24 AM   #12
zappastean
macrumors newbie

MBP Brightness Fluctuations & MUCH MORE !

I must add...
I am in a new location, a half decent hotel with WiFi.

whilst replying to your posts,
again,
all manner of strange things were going wrong that ive never seen b4,
this is very worrying!

as said ive used wifi and MB's in many parts of the world and nothing like this has ever happened!

there is something defenitley "not right".

what can i do to protect my MB
and
where wld i find the log of how/why THE CRASH happened & whats just been going wrong whilst replying to your posts?

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro