Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2002
Minnesota
So what gives?

I realize that the release of the 12 and 17" PowerBooks was amazing, but it was 8 months ago. Is there something else we are supposed to be getting that would justify this claim, or was Steve just effervescing? Month of the laptop maybe, but YEAR of the laptop? Maybe that just meant that we were going to have to wait a year with the laptops we have.

I'm really not bitter, although it may sound like it, I'm just a little deflated. I was expecting something uge this year (not huge, as in 17" screen), but so far, nothing has been that amazing to me. Maybe I'm just too picky.

Am I the only one curious about Steve-o's claim?

Regards,
Gus

Billicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2002
Charles City, Iowa
Nope, you are not alone. I wanted new PowerBooks so bad today I could taste them... WHERE ARE THEY STEVE? I, unlike you am bitter that they would claim this to be the year of the laptop, when in retrospect this is obviously the year of the G5, and the comment was shear market hype on iSteve's part. :mad::eek:

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
i have a cool laptop i got this year so i'm quite happy and fine with that label.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Stop complaining...

The year isn't over, so there's still a possibility that the current laptop could be on the market unchanged for an entire year.

Thus making the "Year of the Laptop" absolutely true.

As in the one and only laptop Apple releases this year. :p

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
My year of the laptop was last year when I bought my first computer.

But I still wished I had waited for the 12" PowerBook. I'm trying to figure out how much company time I've wasted figuring out crazy schemes to come up with money for one.

Ironically, wasting time on the clock is a good way to earn money for a 12" PB. :rolleyes:

As for the original statement, perhaps Mr. Jobs has something up his sleeve.

simX

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2002
Bay Area, CA
You know, maybe you all haven't thought of this, but it basically occurred to me as soon as Steve "coined" that phrase. Basically, Apple knew that it wouldn't have a kick-butt piece of desktop hardware until the second half of the year, so he was introducing two kick-butt laptops in the meantime to draw attention away from the fact that the PowerMacs were laggards. He just didn't want people to start ragging on Apple for having relatively sucky G4 offerings. :p

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Think about it guys. He means "People are switching over to laptops, and this is the year its happening."

He didn't mean "This year, we are going to release tons of new laptops that are amazingly fast".

Im dissapointed the new laptops aren't out, but oh well.

Rezet

macrumors 6502a
Originally posted by Sun Baked
Stop complaining...

The year isn't over, so there's still a possibility that the current laptop could be on the market unchanged for an entire year.

Thus making the "Year of the Laptop" absolutely true.

As in the one and only laptop Apple releases this year. :p

HAHA Good point. Maybe he meant the year of that laptop. Meaning don't expect the next update this year.

Source

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2002
I agree whole-heartedly. I wish they'd hurry up. I can't believe any computer company waits as long as Apple does to upgrade their products. I used to think six months was too long, but this is just ridiculous.

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
It was year of the laptop in terms of sales, not products or new hardware.

Apple laptop sales outstripped desktop sales by a very large margin.

Repeat after me: sales, not products; sales, not products; sales....

ColoJohnBoy

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2003
Denver, Colorado
Perhaps people are taking what SJ said at MWSF a little bit too seriously. I don't think he made any committment, financial or otherwise, to make this an AMAZING year for laptops. Beside that, there are still four and a half months left in the year. We don't need a groundbreaking update every week, or even every month for SJ's little statement to be fulfilled.

Even so, I think it's pretty damn good. Two new laptop models were added to the lineup of three. More PowerBook updates are expected, utilizing the Motorola 7457 processor, a processor that requires less power, generates less heat, and operates faster. iBooks have already received one update, and before the year is out we'll probably see them updated using the Gobi processors at faster speeds, perhaps even with Altivec available.

beefcake

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2003
Baltimore
A few weeks ago I gave in and bought a TiBook. I'm certainly not complaining. To be honest, I prefer desktops, but mobility issues turned me towards the Powerbook. At my desk right now is my trusty TiBook and a Dell monitor plugged into my hideously *crashed* Win2k box. Sure, the current laptops offered by Apple aren't up to the specs of the new centrinos offered by Dell and IBM (among others), but what you gain in speed you lose in functionality.

Quick example: my friend and I were both ripping CDs. He has a brand new Dell desktop (very fast) and I was using a 1 Ghz TiBook combo. In the end, we finished doing the same task in the same amount of time. Why? Because his *faster* Dell crashed twice and the ripping program had a mind of its own. In the end we had the same songs on our hard drives and I hadn't taken any years off my life by yelling at a box.

Sorry for going off on a tangent, but even as a very recent switcher I don't like to see people complain about Apple and then say Dell is looking pretty good. Yes, they're definitely faster, but much less reliable.

Gus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2002
Minnesota
job, you are exactly right about the sales of laptops outpacing those of PowerMacs, but how much of that was due to a PowerMac line that was long in the tooth, and how much was demand for PowerBooks? I'm sure it's a little of both, but still, it seems to me that in "The Year of the Laptop", there would have been more focus on the laptops throughout the year, rather than in spurts at the beginning and the end of the year. Do you see my meaning? i would never dispute the importance of the 12 and 17" PBs because they are both drool-worthy, but I just wanted to see a little more "flash", if you know what I mean. :)

Regards,
Gus

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
Originally posted by MacAztec
Think about it guys. He means "People are switching over to laptops, and this is the year its happening."

He didn't mean "This year, we are going to release tons of new laptops that are amazingly fast".

Im dissapointed the new laptops aren't out, but oh well.

i agree with this one, somewhat. i think many of us are taking his proclamation of the year of the laptops a little too literally.

he wanted some catchy phrase to introduce two new powerbooks. i don't think it was meant to be taken as a promise to introduce amazing one laptop after another...

however, that said, in any given year, computer models should be updated fairly regularly (i'd say every 6 months... at worst) so apple has been due for an update (especially for the 15") regardless of what jobs said about this being the year of the laptops.

Wren

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2002
Los Angeles
My 17" AluPB has replaced my desktop. This amazing machine has become my PRIMARY computer. In addition, it's PORTABLE!! I've got the best of both worlds and yes.. it is the year of the laptop!

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
i think that when Steve said that he was just hyping the new PowerBooks, people have taken that too literally.

PowerBooks were said to be released this week. The week isn't even over yet, so relax a bit and wait for the new PB's. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.