Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac3687

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2006
I've searched and searched for this on forums and Google, and just can't figure it out. I've got a MacBook and my PC desktop at the same desk, connected via an ethernet cable, and just cannot figure out how to view my Mac's files on my PC running Vista. Any help?

pianos101

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2006
Philly Area
I think the OP wants to use a separate windows box to view files on his MB...

Try going to the Sharing PrefPane in System Preferences, and enabling Windows Sharing. You can then enter your MB's IP in the Add Network Place dialog on your PC, enter your user name and pwd, and you SHOULD be all set. I usually get it to work that way, but with windows who knows...

Rustman

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2007
England
I've searched and searched for this on forums and Google, and just can't figure it out. I've got a MacBook and my PC desktop at the same desk, connected via an ethernet cable, and just cannot figure out how to view my Mac's files on my PC running Vista. Any help?

If you've connected the Mac to the PC directly with the ethernet cable, then you better make sure it's a crossover cable otherwise no software will help you see Mac files on the PC.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
If you've connected the Mac to the PC directly with the ethernet cable, then you better make sure it's a crossover cable otherwise no software will help you see Mac files on the PC.

You don't need a crossover cable, Macs have auto switching ethernet ports.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
I've accessed my Mac's files, both writing and reading, with my Windows computer though my home network. I didn't have to use any software to do this.

Maybe I'm not understanding correctly. :confused:

Rustman

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2007
England
You don't need a crossover cable, Macs have auto switching ethernet ports.

You see... I knew there was a reason I was leaving my PC and Windows behind.

Now the only problem is I have to unlearn all the bad habits and tricks I've built up over the years/decades.

So, from which model did they start to autoswitch? And do all of the current models out there do this?

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
You see... I knew there was a reason I was leaving my PC and Windows behind.

Now the only problem is I have to unlearn all the bad habits and tricks I've built up over the years/decades.

So, from which model did they start to autoswitch? And do all of the current models out there do this?

my imac dv ( which i bought in 1998 ) has autoswitch, so pretty sure that the new ones will have it lols.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.