Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sir42

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2003
NY, NY
I noticed that there's an option in Apple's Address Book to dial a number with a cell phone through bluetooth. If I pair my iPhone with my computer could I dial a number on my iPhone through Address Book?

confirmed

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2001
New York, NY
not yet.

unfortunately, apple has so far decided to cripple bluetooth to only work for headsets. it definitely does seem crazy, though, since this feature in Address Book can work with most other bluetooth phones, but not Apple's own. also, Apple designed iSync for bluetooth syncing between Macs and phones, but the bluetooth in the iPhone will not work with that.

very silly of apple, but i'm fairly confident this will change in a future update. i'd also like incoming call numbers to be displayed on my computer, either through bluetooth, or at least when connected to the Dock. i have a feeling we'll see more of these features once Leopard rolls around.

pendolino

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2007
you can do this with bluephoneelite

bluephoneeilte supports dialing and using the speakerphone on a bluetooth connected mac and iphone. quite slick but i don't feel its stable enough. im sure there's a trial.

DavieBoy

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2009
New Jersey
there is a 2 week trial for BluePhoneElite 2. It is pretty good but this is something that should be built into osx.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.