Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NotFound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2006
I don't like how everytime I open safari it takes me to the last page I viewed.

Anyone have any ideas?

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
I don't think there is. I just go to my homepage once again before I close Safari so that way its set when I go back.

ivi7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007

Anyone have any ideas?

If you go to safari - preferences you can change the "New windows open with" tab to something other than what you have it on now.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
I wonder if that's a feature confined to the iPhone, because I just went to the touch's Safari settings and that was not there.

infosprt

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
Temecula, CA
If you go to safari - preferences you can change the "New windows open with" tab to something other than what you have it on now.

I don't see that selection on my iPhone. I'm looking at "Setting" -> "Safari"

Where are you seeing that selection at?

Thanks,
Al

ivi7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
I don't see that selection on my iPhone. I'm looking at "Setting" -> "Safari"

Where are you seeing that selection at?

Thanks,
Al

On my mac. Didnt realize I was in the apple touch forum . :)

jacktiernan

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2007
Vic, Australia
On my mac. Didnt realize I was in the apple touch forum . :)

I don't have my touch yet - so this is a guess....

Is it possible it imports your homepage from safari on your computer, like it does your bookmarks?? Don't shoot me down if i'm wrong, just trying to help!
:D

infosprt

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
Temecula, CA
I don't have my touch yet - so this is a guess....

Is it possible it imports your homepage from safari on your computer, like it does your bookmarks?? Don't shoot me down if i'm wrong, just trying to help!
:D

I doubt that it wil have the capability since it is not on the iPhone.

jlauve

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2008
You can set Safari Homepage on an iPod touch

Anyone have any ideas?

Andrew, try making a Homepage icon for the bookmark to the page you want Safari to always open to:

1. Open Safari
2. Navigate your way to http://www.google.com/m/classic or the search engine or homepage of your choice (I'll proceed with Google here)
3. On the center of the iPod navigation bar at the bottom of the screen, tap the "+" to add a bookmark
4. Tap "Add to Home Screen"
5. Accept the name "Google" (or rename if you wish), and tap the blue "Add" in the top right corner of the screen
6. Tap and hold your new Homepage icon called "Google", and all the icons start to wiggle.
7. Drag you new Google wiggling icon to wherever you want it on one of your screens, likely screen one

applehockey

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2008
Michigan
Andrew, try making a Homepage icon for the bookmark to the page you want Safari to always open to:

1. Open Safari
2. Navigate your way to http://www.google.com/m/classic or the search engine or homepage of your choice (I'll proceed with Google here)
3. On the center of the iPod navigation bar at the bottom of the screen, tap the "+" to add a bookmark
4. Tap "Add to Home Screen"
5. Accept the name "Google" (or rename if you wish), and tap the blue "Add" in the top right corner of the screen
6. Tap and hold your new Homepage icon called "Google", and all the icons start to wiggle.
7. Drag you new Google wiggling icon to wherever you want it on one of your screens, likely screen one

This is the best thing to do... I will upload some photos to show you

applehockey

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2008
Michigan
2hg5lk5.jpg

qacjared

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
If your willing to hack it. It should work.

1. Install Developers Tools from your Mac OS X restore disk, or Mac OS X install disk. It includes a program called "Property List Editor"
2. Pwn iPod
3. Install SSH.
4. Using SSH navigate to /User/Library/Safari
5. Get SuspendedState.plist and copy it to your mac:
picture114ib7.png

6. Make a copy of SuspendedState.plist
picture118ll8.png

7. Open SuspendedState.Plist with Property List Editor
8. Edit SuspendedState.plist to be like this:
picture115xb2.png

9. Save SuspendedState.Plist
10. Overwrite the copy of SuspendedState.plist in /User/Library/Safari on your iPod with the one you saved on your mac.
11. Edit the file permissions of SuspendedState.plist so that MobileSafari can not overwrite this file.
picture119zt8.png

12. Now MobileSafari will not be able to save its state and will be forced to revert to the saved state you selected.

While this is not a homepage setting. It has the same effect.

macjohn123

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2010
How to set homepage in mobile safari

Requirements: jailbreak iphone/ipod, ssh, winscp

1. Navigate to the webclips directory: /private/var/mobile/Library/WebClips/
2. You will see directories similar to this one: 833C7AC6-9AD4-4350-A873-6CE648B76AF4.webclip
3. Each of these directories contain two files: Info.plist and icon.png
4. Move through the directories opening the Info.plist/icon.png file until you find the webclip you're looking for.
5. You can now alter the webclip information by editing the Info.plist file, which is nothing more than a XML file. (Search for edit plist files to find plist editor)
6. If you have a better icon you can simply replace the icon.png file.
7. Now to prevent your iphone from overwriting and replacing the info.plist/icon.png file with the default file/icon everytime you visit the site, you need to use some tool to change the permissions on both the webclip directory and the plist file you've just edited and set it to read only. Use a tool like icommander to set the directory permissions and plist file permissions.
8. You're done. Now reload the SpringBoard. You should have your own custom icon that will take you to the same safari web page everytime!
9. Just do a google search on any of the terms in this instruction if you do not understand.

Credits: Part of this instruction came from user: thedp. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.